Purchasing a new bike soon, but so many choices. really want to go look at one tomorrow due to my work schedule so quick reply is greatly appreciated

Well to make things clear it's not actually going to be new, just newer and bigger then my current bike since I only have a yz 80 right now and have been wanting a bigger bike for a while but it just hasn't been financially possible until now. So my dilema is, I love all styles of riding, motocross,enduro,jumps,hill climbs, technical,even the odd straight away to just open it up on, etc. I am also a big fan of 2 strokes, i've ridden a few 4 strokes and they're alright but my preference will always be with 2 strokes. I've never raced before and don't plan to do anything serious in the future but I might enter a few just for fun in the future. So now the question is what bike should I go for? Keep in mind I can't afford new, most likely going to be a 2003 or older. 2 bikes I am currently looking at taking price into consideration are the 2000 cr250 and the 2001 kdx 220 both 2 strokes.

Edited by Dustin.bernhard

If I were you, I'd go for the cr250. The kdx is a trail bike, so if you plan on doing track, the 250 would be better.

I have a 2000 CR250 and love it. I use it for woods/trail riding and its awesome. As for how it handles on a MX track, I have no idea as I don't do any of that. But it would definitely be the better choice for it as its designed for MX compared to the KDX which is for trails and doesn't have the suspension needed for handling any serious MX jumps.

You should be able to find quite a few used YZ 250's from the early 2000's as well and those were very reliable bikes.

Thanks for all the input :) if I were to enter a race though it would most likely be enduro rather then mx since I feel i'm more experienced with technical trail riding then I am with jumps despite the bike I ride, the track i'd go to though is usually a mix of the 2, half technical enduro/hare scramble type trails and half mx track.

I have a 2000 CR250 and love it. I use it for woods/trail riding and its awesome. As for how it handles on a MX track, I have no idea as I don't do any of that. But it would definitely be the better choice for it as its designed for MX compared to the KDX which is for trails and doesn't have the suspension needed for handling any serious MX jumps.

For the suspension aspect of it if I were to get the KDX is there any way I could adjust the suspension to be a bit harder? When it comes to mechanical i'm not very knowledgable, I also just found a 2000 rm 250 going for $200 cheaper then the cr, and I also noticed the cr doesn't have any contact information :\

Edited by Dustin.bernhard

Thanks for all the input :) if I were to enter a race though it would most likely be enduro rather then mx since I feel i'm more experienced with technical trail riding then I am with jumps despite the bike I ride, the track i'd go to though is usually a mix of the 2, half technical enduro/hare scramble type trails and half mx track.

For the suspension aspect of it if I were to get the KDX is there any way I could adjust the suspension to be a bit harder? When it comes to mechanical i'm not very knowledgable, I also just found a 2000 rm 250 going for $200 cheaper then the cr, and I also noticed the cr doesn't have any contact information :\

Yes you can get suspension done. Heavier springs are almost a requirement on the kdx.

Yes you can get suspension done. Heavier springs are almost a requirement on the kdx.

Any suggestions on where to buy them and which to buy? Also is installation easy? btw if it helps i'm 5"7 160-170 pounds usually

If your just trail riding, with the occassional enduro - the KDX is perfect the way it is. The CR will require some work to tame the beast as she was originally meant to be a MX machine. Haven't rode a RM250 but I hear they handle better, but still have a pretty vicious powerband which would need to be tamed for the trails or enduro riding. Can't go wrong with either just buy the cleanest, best maintained bike you can find and have fun!

You can definitely get the suspension adjusted on any bike, but it can get expensive getting a revalve to change it from woods/enduro style riding to MX or vice versa.

Any suggestions on where to buy them and which to buy? Also is installation easy? btw if it helps i'm 5"7 160-170 pounds usually

Not sure what the stock weight is for the stock springs but you should be pretty close and may not need them.

Springs are about $300-$400

Installed. Kdx (for other than full out racing ) valving should be OK just spring swap.

I am 168-180 depending on gear I have on and my kdx's springs where way too soft for me. But try it the way it is. Then decide. You can add them later on.

Kdx is a good bike, but I didn't keep mine long. I had bad luck with mine racing it. If this one is this old and lasted it should be fine.

alright, thanks again for all the input :) I think i'm going to go for the kdx try it out like you said then if needed maybe adjust the suspension to be halfway between enduro and mx if that's possible, currently I don't do super big jumps since i've only been getting more ballsy recently and on my 80 when I check the mud marks it seems I only really use 4/10 of my travel ( it is possible I was looking at it wrong, was tired from riding) but i'm still yet to be on a track so it's going to be a while before I start doing the big gaps anyway and the place I currently go riding doesn't have any HUGE jumps it's a lot more hill climbing, wall riding, and technical trails/rough terrain.

Kdx is a good bike, but I didn't keep mine long. I had bad luck with mine racing it. If this one is this old and lasted it should be fine.

In the ad it said it had only been used for 3-4 seasons and it does looks to be in amazing condition for it's year, going to take a look at it tomorrow though

KDX is a good choice

If you want to hit real jumps, bigger than 20 feet, than you'll quickly realize the kdx is NOT a frequent flyer... Meaning, heavy.... heavy.... very unmaneuverable, bulky, slow, and did i mention heavy?

If you want to hit real jumps, bigger than 20 feet, than you'll quickly realize the kdx is NOT a frequent flyer... Meaning, heavy.... heavy.... very unmaneuverable, bulky, slow, and did i mention heavy?

Hrs talking kdx not klx!

Kdx is 2stroke 220 and are light enough. Klx is overweight .

My bad! Thanks for correcting me, Crack.

Kdx should be alright, it'll be a little more awkward in the air than an mx bike, but it shouldn't be too much if you practice with it. You'll have to make some suspension adjustments, stiffening it up, for sure though.

Look at some 125's if you are just coming of an 80, a 250 will be a huge step.

My bad! Thanks for correcting me, Crack.

Kdx should be alright, it'll be a little more awkward in the air than an mx bike, but it shouldn't be too much if you practice with it. You'll have to make some suspension adjustments, stiffening it up, for sure though.

Already planned to adjust the suspension if it's a problem but like i mentioned earlier i feel i'm much more experienced in technical riding rather then mx style riding anyway so it should be a while before I start bottoming out my suspension

Look at some 125's if you are just coming of an 80, a 250 will be a huge step.

I can't afford to go to a 125 then in a year a 250 due to financial reasons i'm starting school in january for 14 months straight then i'm probably going to need a new car by then so I need a bike i'll be satisfied with for a while.

Already planned to adjust the suspension if it's a problem but like i mentioned earlier i feel i'm much more experienced in technical riding rather then mx style riding anyway so it should be a while before I start bottoming out my suspension

I can't afford to go to a 125 then in a year a 250 due to financial reasons i'm starting school in january for 14 months straight then i'm probably going to need a new car by then so I need a bike i'll be satisfied with for a while.

Don't get hurt on the 250 then it's a whole lot more than any 80...