Mx classes

When someone says like d or c rider is this an official class? I was winding if I need to register so I can be classes, right now I am a 450 beginner.

Yea, there are generally four classes; Pro, A, B, C. Lower the number, the lower the class. Some series also run a D class for true beginners, making the C class "novice".

Yea, there are generally four classes; Pro, A, B, C. Lower the number, the lower the class. Some series also run a D class for true beginners, making the C class "novice".

I thought Pro and A are interchangeable and then there is b and c and d....  Just a thought.  Most places do this

?

I thought Pro and A are interchangeable and then there is b and c and d.... Just a thought. Most places do this

Same here. A,B,C,D.

I got that what I am wondering is what I need to do to be legit, so I'm not doing races and if I get points in not wasting them. You move up in class by points right?

I thought Pro and A are interchangeable and then there is b and c and d....  Just a thought.  Most places do this

From my understanding and the longest standing series in So Cal, does it this way:

- Pro

- Expert A class

- Intermediate B class

- Novice C class

- Beginner D class

Now sometimes series don't run one of those 5 and will mix C and D or A and Pro. I've seen that happen on many occasions, leaving the "intermediate" class as the only places for "experts" to go who don't wish to race pro.

I think my series does it the right way. They make Pro and Expert A class riders "open displacement" classes. Then they put both races together, so first gate is Open Pro, second gate is Open Expert A class. Then, the rest of the day are the displacement based, B, C, D classes. So the rest of the races are Intermediate, Novice and Beginners all on the same gate. This makes sure the Pro's and Experts won't sandbag and it allows the pro's to have their own race without back marker issues. Problem is, pro has a purse and Expert doesn't... so most people who are quick enough to race Expert, race pro.

Edited by tye1138

I got that what I am wondering is what I need to do to be legit, so I'm not doing races and if I get points in not wasting them. You move up in class by points right?

Some series don't give a crap about points, but some do. I would do some research on your particular series and figure it out. Here in So Cal you can sign up for any race you want and if you sandbag, you get moved up for the next round. Otherwise, its all good to go! I've seen some pretty slow riders in Pro races, guys who belong in Novice...

So the actual only license you need is pro?

So the actual only license you need is pro?

Well, it depends on the series. My series accepts AMA sanctioned professional licenses for the pro class. I do think you need to have some credentials to show up and ride pro, if you aren't a regular. Obviously the regulars already have a series professional license. However, I would doubt the organization at other series is as stringent.

Edited by tye1138

In some races a rider will need an AMA membership to compete. If you are new to racing pick up a flyer or check out the race series' website for details. You should be in the Beginner class at first and will be moved to Novice based on points or perhaps race wins. The promoter will let you know when to move up.

Where do you plan to race....Georgia I assume? What race track or series are you going to?

Also, if you haven't already,  check out georgiaoffroad.com for local racing. Lots of good folks there can help you. They have a section for local racing info and news.

Edited by OldMechanik

Around here it is A, B, C, and D. A class is pros and experts (about half of the A guys have AMA pro licenses), B is amatuer, C is novice, and D is beginner. A classes race for money, the rest are for trophies only.

Around here it is A, B, C, and D. A class is pros and experts (about half of the A guys have AMA pro licenses), B is amatuer, C is novice, and D is beginner. A classes race for money, the rest are for trophies only.

Same here but without the D class. We just don't have enough "new" riders to consistently fill the D class so they get thrown in C. Utter chaos... which is why I ride B and get my ass handed to me most of the time! I'd rather make it home at the end of the day than win. 

I've gotten a LOT faster since I got out of C though. Wish I could go back now that I am over 25 though... the C races are much safer than all the young guys with no fear making a mad dash to the first corner and using slower riders as a berm.

The open classes are a blast though and my favorite! Sunday there was a 50+ year old dude that waxed a full gate of 450 machines on an old kx144. He had that thing screaming the whole way around the track. 

Edited by BDubb106

Same here but without the D class. We just don't have enough "new" riders to consistently fill the D class so they get thrown in C. Utter chaos... which is why I ride B and get my ass handed to me most of the time! I'd rather make it home at the end of the day than win. 

I've gotten a LOT faster since I got out of C though. Wish I could go back now that I am over 25 though... the C races are much safer than all the young guys with no fear making a mad dash to the first corner and using slower riders as a berm.

The open classes are a blast though and my favorite! Sunday there was a 50+ year old dude that waxed a full gate of 450 machines on an old kx144. He had that thing screaming the whole way around the track. 

Our D class has gotten pretty big lately. Our C and D classes each had 27 guys sunday, while the B and A classes had around 15. Before we had a D class our C classes were always over 40 riders and it was complete chaos.

Our D class has gotten pretty big lately. Our C and D classes each had 27 guys sunday, while the B and A classes had around 15. Before we had a D class our C classes were always over 40 riders and it was complete chaos.

We ran 2 C gates Sunday with 30-35 riders a piece. There were about 60-70 riders racing C. I would bet only about 10-15 of them were true D class riders. The rest were running lap times close to mid - back of the pack B times. But those 15 D riders that were mixed into the C class caused more pile ups than I care to count. I could do nothing but cringe everytime one of the legit C riders came up on a "D" rider. Changing lanes dramatically down the straights. Gassing too hard into the first turn and T boning people. Almost getting landed on over doubles and triples due to changing lanes. All this in the C class where there are some fast guys but they do not have the experience or skill set to make corrections in a split second to avoid these guys. Screw that... not for me. Ill just continue to bang out B motos until I finally get my speed back and can be competetive. It's more fun for me to finish 15th than to worry about who is going to take me out throughout the day, because it IS going to happen. Just a matter of time.

B had 27 riders (which was our biggest turn out of the year), and A had 14 (which is pretty average). If there was some sort of system that allowed the track owners to judge skill and speed it would even things out and get people in the right classes but no one wants to ride D even though their skill set is that of a D rider. When I ride B class I ride hard and just stay out of the main line unless I am on it that day because on average I am only a mid pack rider. Sunday I had a pretty good day and ended up in some good battles getting 4th overall in B and 3rd overall in Open. 

The guy that won the first C class moto by 20+ seconds was taken out in the first turn and DNF'ed the 2nd moto. 

We ran 2 C gates Sunday with 30-35 riders a piece. There were about 60-70 riders racing C. I would bet only about 10-15 of them were true D class riders. The rest were running lap times close to mid - back of the pack B times. But those 15 D riders that were mixed into the C class caused more pile ups than I care to count.

B had 27 riders (which was our biggest turn out of the year), and A had 14 (which is pretty average).

I've got a question for ya...

Out here, each class has a displacement AND some classes even have an age group.

So when you say C class, are you referring to 250's/450's or 125's? Do they mix everyone together?

Out here, each class has a displacement AND some classes even have an age group.

So when you say C class, are you referring to 250's/450's or 125's? Do they mix everyone together?

Here's it is:

122cc-250cc A, B, C, and D

122cc-450cc A, B, C, and D

+25 A and B/C (any displacement)

+30 A, B, and C (any displacement)

+40 A and B/C (any displacement)

+45 A and B/C (any displacement)

+50 (any displacement and ability)

The B/C classes (+25, +40, and +45) are open to anyone of B or C ranking.

Edited by KJ790

No they have separate classes for displacement and age. The mini's, Schoolboy, 250 A, B, C, and 450 A, B, and C as well as Open A, B, and C and also the age classes 25+, 30+, 40+ and 50+ classes which are all open classes but usually have minimal turn out unless it is for some sort of fundraiser or prize. Usually our C classes have 50+ people in each class. 450 A and B usually run together, there is usually only about 10-15 riders in each. So we end up with a 30 rider gate. 

The 250 and schoolboy classes are the most popular, then the open and then 450s. 

Edit: ours runs exactly as KJ stated, minus the D classes and our B classes usually line up with the A class with delayed start.

Edited by BDubb106

I tried to find it but have hard time, what district would I be. I live in southern Georgia..

I tried to find it but have hard time, what district would I be. I live in southern Georgia..

Give your local track a call... they will be able to give you details and help you get signed up.

Interesting...

So explain in greater detail how the gate is?

Do you guys mix 250 C and 450 C on the same gate for instance?

Just trying to get a picture of how your series is run compared to mine.