Sign in to follow this  

SM rear caliper piston installed backwards?

My friend got a new to him sm this week and we were giving it the once over. I observed as He put new pads all around and I swear as he installed the rear pads the pistons flat face was facing the pads. I didn't say anything but is that piston in backwards? He has not ridden it yet because it is raining pretty bad but do I need to plant this seed of doubt in his head?

I have never seen a SM rear caliper piston so I can not answer your question directly.  However, some motorcycle caliper pistons have a cap on the open end so it may look like a closed end contacting the back of the pad.  If you are concerned, it is easy to take another look at it.  With the pads removed, pump the piston out about 1/2 way and you can tell if it is a cap or the closed end.

Thanks noble, imagine I the piston is a cup you would drink out of. The flat part that would sit on the table is what was coming out of the caliper. Its been awhile since I looked at mine but I think on mine the hollow or open end was pointing towards my pads. I guess either way could work its just that the way his is would take alot more fluid to fill up the caliper bore. I jut wanted to get a second opinion before I make him go through the trouble of flipping it around.

Flat side into the caliper. Wonder why he would have pulled it all the way out of the caliper???

Hummm...looks like there is a cup on the inside of the piston according to the diagram. I may have to go out and pull my rear caliper to be sure of what I am talking about. So until I or someone who has actually taken the darn thing apart chimes back in this may be a sticking point. To bad it doesn't show direction or a reverse view of said piston.

What does the other side of that piston look like Eric? Line drawings can be decieving sometimes. Also the drawing was for a front caliper. Thank you for the pic. I have not fully disassembled a DR-Z caliper yet. But I have worked on others and it has always been the flatter side into the caliper hence my comments. My comment was an educated guess not out right guess...

What does the other side of that piston look like Eric? Line drawings can be decieving sometimes. Also the drawing was for a front caliper. Thank you for the pic. I have not fully disassembled a DR-Z caliper yet. But I have worked on others and it has always been the flatter side into the caliper hence my comments. My comment was an educated guess not out right guess...

The drawing I posted is a rear caliper..

And the other-side of the piston is solid, ie closed.

Jim,,,, my "guess" comment was not pointed at you or anyone else... but inward to my response.. as in.. I was not guessing. 

Eric I mean the first drawing posted. Sorry. The first drawing is a two piston. The second with your pic is a single piston. And about the guess comment I was kinda guessing and did not take offense. Because you know what you are talking about. I was not certain and made and educated guess based on other previous work with brakes. Your cool but thanks for the clarifacation! :)

• Like 1