Sign in to follow this  

Anyone using Vortex on 13 cfr450r

Do you like the power, better topend?, and what map do you like the best?  thxs

All the above, modded motor so I can't compare ,but had remapped stock ecu added vortex to same motor much better.Another plus with the vortex is you can richen fuel settings with screwdriver (main,needle,pilot) .

It works great and the maps are really good and they cover about everything.  Like the previous response, the ability to make adjustments with a screw driver for different conditions is a real plus.

Get your screwdriver out and try them,stock bike base map, power map etc.the vortex comes with instructions, and a break down of each map. Map 1 is really good stock or modded,each map has a power(timing) &fuel map # power map1-5 same with the fuel.I ran map 6&7 ported my head had to add fuel via the fuel clickers. real easy.

Get your screwdriver out and try them,stock bike base map, power map etc.the vortex comes with instructions, and a break down of each map. Map 1 is really good stock or modded,each map has a power(timing) &fuel map # power map1-5 same with the fuel.I ran map 6&7 ported my head had to add fuel via the fuel clickers. real easy.

Is there a safety parameter on the ecu to stop the bike running lean with the adjustments you guys are talking about? Im looking into an aftermarket ecu, but not sold on anything just yet

Bike ECUs don't normally use closed-loop control, so it won't know if it's lean, rich or stoichiometric. If you program a map that's too lean, it will be lean. Trick is to find a map that's close, which is hard on a multi-map system: they're never that great as compared to a map developed with a wide-band O2 sensor on a dyno and/or while riding.

Bike ECUs don't normally use closed-loop control, so it won't know if it's lean, rich or stoichiometric. If you program a map that's too lean, it will be lean. Trick is to find a map that's close, which is hard on a multi-map system: they're never that great as compared to a map developed with a wide-band O2 sensor on a dyno and/or while riding.

Thats what i was worried about thanks. What ecu do you reccomend? Remap the stock or go for something like the yosh with the o2 sensor for mapping?

If you can afford a system with closed-loop wide-band O2 sensor auto-tuning that's the way to go. But most are more than happy with a reprogrammed stock ECU, they work just fine and come with the bike. You can't "adjust on the fly" or tweak it with a screwdriver, but you should never need to do that, anyhow, with proper programming. A lot of units out there are overly rich which kills piston/cylinder wear and hurts power a bit. Can't go wrong with rich on a 4-stroke, tho. Braaap

Edited by Eddie8v

the maps on the vortex are made with a o2  sensor,10 maps or make your own lots more money,or have someone with the custom tuning (tokyo mods close to me) do it. The maps from vortex cover almost all mods or fuels ,mine was a little lean after porting & changing to u4 from vpr(u4 has more o2) . Easy added fuel via the adjustment clickers ,done. You should have a some tuning knowledge (I've jetted all my carbed bikes for years) before playing with adjustments. Most people will be more than happy with a remapped stock ecu,the title was about anyone running a vortex on a13 ,so that said I do, and its better then a remapped ecu, ready for motor mods,different fuel, etc.. The question is do you want to spend $600-$700 on vortex or remap your stock ecu $50-100 ?I've done both ,I never run stock anything so the hot rod ecu made sense to me, low cash flow remap stock ecu.The vortex or porting the head are the 2 best mods I've done .

Did you ever get your motor dyno-tuned with the vortex? I would like to see the dyno chart with the AFR plotted, if you have it? Tuning an ECU for a "ported head" doesn't work unless the ported is exactly the same as the ported head that was used to make the tune. And the same exhaust. And the same cam. I am not saying a Vortex is bad, and a Vortex will make the bike run fine, but it's still a "ballpark" solution for most unless you have the bike dyno-tuned with the vortex and have the vortex mapped specifically to your specific engine.

Edited by Eddie8v

It's good ,I asked ron @tokyo mods about a custom dyno  tune ,he said with the mods he did the canned tunes in the vortex are fine, and they are map 6or 7 with the added fuel. I've talked to ron hamp about and you and he thinks your a little over the top ,like I do, but we're on different coasts so I can't help you like I want to.

lol, yeah I am over the top and already going down the other side. Next time I talk with Ron I'll bring it up, maybe he's trying to make you feel better about your purchase decision... You misunderstand what I am trying to convey about the Vortex, maybe this'll help a bit: ...

the vortex is great but you still only have the abillity to change bettwen the maps and minor adjustment to the fuel curve if you have the software for the vortex then you have the ability to adjust things to no end the software is around $1000.00
Edited by Eddie8v

I talked to him along time ago about cams,porting, etc.I brought you up,because I posted about how much better my bike was after adding a crower regrind,& bump in the compression. You blew it up just like now saying a cam doesn't work unless you have a ported head, cutting cylinder doesn't work ,retards timing ect.Then you always say ron ,this ron that.ALL WRONG cam works better with porting,cut cylinder retards timing if cut alot.,which crower didn't. You always pick the fly _HIT out of pepper so to speak. Ron posts are helpful yours are most of the time,you just somtimes come off a little too all seeing /all knowing. Thats it.

A cam "can" work better with porting and even with a stock head, but the OEM Honda 450 EFI cam is good for more than 60hp with proper porting, so why is porting a head and using a bigger more-aggressive cam and making 58hp or less better than that? A cam that is less aggressive than stock can still make 60+hp with the proper porting, too. Good porting is hard to find has always been my point, and matching the ECU fuel and timing control to any porting is mandatory but even more difficult to attain for most. If you're happy with the way your bike runs with a vortex, I guess it's money well-spent, right? Close enough is usually good enough for most...

Less aggressive cams give you MUCH more low-mid yet still retain top-end hp and pull, so more area under the torque curve = smooth and easy to ride, but VERY fast. Aggressive cams are over-rated and not used in pro MX, SX, AX motors. Flat-track, super-moto and desert racing maybe, but even most of them stick with less aggressive cams for better valvetrain reliability.

So sorry if I offend you, or anyone on here. Just trying to help. Ride on...

Edited by Eddie8v

The post was about running a vortex ecu on a 2013 , and how was it. My motor made just short of 8hp over stock on crower's dyno with his cam ,pipe,13 -1 piston.It's much stronger now,ported ,vortex etc.Crower cam is a regrind so it runs stock springs .My motor is just like what your saying 59-60+ hp, wide smooth power. I could get a custom tune , but why? It runs excellent, and after adding the vortex & the porting it was easy to adjust with just a screwdriver.My ported head was done by tokyo mods so I'm sure I'm down on power from a stock head,ron wood was a honda factory motor guy and on the wrong side of usa, darn !!!!!!!!!!!!! About$1400 for 60ish hp what a waste.

Edited by galligar

That sounds like a great motor package. Could you post their dyno/AFR chart?

Call ron @ tokyo mods. The only dyno run I did was @ crowers , All others seat of the pants& plug check just like the old days. Plug  has good color,starts easy,runs strong top to bottom. Runs as strong or stronger than my gtyr kitted 2010 450yz on u4 with 14-1 piston, mxa tested same setup ,but with 13.5 piston put out 59-60. I ride my bikes ,I don't dyno them . The vortex makes it  easy to make changes to fuel map when changing fuels, temp. alt. with a screwdriver instead of the old carb days of changing brass.

That sounds like a great motor package. Could you post their dyno/AFR chart?

Why do you always want to know what others have going on?

I always thought its an unwritten rule that tuners don't ask that stuff.

Why do you always want to know what others have going on?

I always thought its an unwritten rule that tuners don't ask that stuff.

When I no longer desire to learn I will give up the sport...