Sign in to follow this  

Trail maintenance kit - what should I carry on the bike?

I'm new to riding enduro and was wondering what I should carry with me in a small tool kit.  Any particular storage locations (back fender, gas tank, under the seat, etc) and small bags that you guys prefer? 

If you cant carry it in a small pack on your back it shouldnt come.

Ktm kit that comes with bike can do almost anything. Throw in a little wire. Some zipties. I have a very small hand pump with flat fixings. Thats it.

For me it depends on how remote I go. Can be as much as spare tubes, extra fuel and the KTM tool kit supplements with tire levers, or as little as just a Leatherman.

I prefer a fanny pack, you don't even notice it after awhile. It's amazing how much you can carry. I keep a PLB in it as well for major emergencies (hope I never need it). 

I like a fanny pack and a fender pack. I keep maps and my keys, wallet ext, in the fender pack. Then I have the KTM tool kit, tire spoons, patches, and msr pump in the fanny pack. And I ride two strokes so I always have a spare plug, and a small screw driver to play with the air screw if I need to. Find a fanny pack that carries water bottles, And keep them full, a little snack is nice sometimes to.

I carry quite a bit compared to others here. I have a Camel Back MULE and in it is a small but well stocked medical kit, tire repair kit, wash cloth, TP, food, goggle wipes, and spark plug, and a small flashlight. I also keep my wallet and keys in the camel back to. In the fanny pack I have a good assortment of tools. The KTM stuff along with a small pair of vice grips, allen wrenches, small screw drivers. Also have an assortment of bolts, spare master link, zip ties, and assortment of common fuses. I'm sure I'm leaving quite a bit out but I rather be prepared than not. The stuff I carry doesn't restrict me in any way when I'm riding and honestly I don't really notice it being there.

I carry a flare gun when solo riding ( sometimes ) :) ... I use to carry tubes but never have a flat since running the hd tubes so I quit .

Post ride check your bike well, it's much easier to wrench at home then on the trail . Flats , over heating, rejetting , and broken levers are the biggest maintenance issues on the trail . Select tools that address these areas and your good.

I don't carry much, but one thing I haven't seen anybody mention is the bar pad is great for storage. I slide about a dozen zip ties under the plastic cover, and some safety wire with it. Take a pencil and wrap some radiator hose repair tape around it, it makes it much smaller than the rolls it comes on. Also the foam can be cutout in shape of a clutch lever if desired and the cover will keep it in place.

I believe it was Jeff Fredette, I may be wrong on that, but I was told he never ran an ISDE without a pair of needle nosed vise grips clamped onto his skid plate.

I don't go too remote, either riding private property or a riding park, so it's just my crossbar pad assortment and a 3 way "T handle" with fixed sockets on the ends a thin plug wrench and a plug in my drink system bag.

Its obvious you do. Get off my nuts.

How are you still on this site? I haven't seen you ever provide any real input on anything, only pro-pot bs and childish innapropriate slurs, grow up

I run the scott hydro fanny pack and a small front fender pack. The Scott hydro pack has a 48oz hydration bladder, a small roll for your tools ect ect. I put most my tools in the fender pack but a few in the fanny pack along with maps, wallet, keys, power bars ect.ect.

As far as tools i bring:

KTM tool pack

needle nose vise grips

safety wire

zip ties

high speed velcro

leatherman

3 in 1 screw driver

tire spoons

tire plug and patch kit, small pump

extra master link

extra brake and clutch levers

small allen wrench set

a little bit of cash in case i need to buy my way out of something (lol)

and probably a few other things i am forgetting

Basic rule is make yourself a pack with all the tools you think you need and then work on your bike with only those tools, if you find yourself needing anything from your other tool set then you need to include that in your pack.

Edited by Hedo
  • Like 1

Turn the computer off and dont come back till your balls drop. Your stalking of my posts is a little creepy have you read all 3000?

Not stalking but seriously, I feel like whenever I look at a new topic I can rely on you to have thrown a dumb commenrt in there somewhere, why don't you turn the computer off and come back when you learned how to provide legirimate input, not say comments to try and get people mad at you, is arguing over the internet your hobby? Why are you always so pissed?

On short rides I don't carry tools, but on the long ones that take us 30 miles away from the truck, I carry this stuff:

• The basic KTM took pack: 6, 8, 10, 13 mm combo wrenches/sockets, spark plug/27mm wrench combo, screw driver combo.
  •  
  • Alen wrenches
  • Zip ties
  • Electrical tape
  • Tire irons
  • CO2 canisters
  • 21" tube

By the end of the ride you can definitely feel the extra 10 lbs in tools, but they have saved a whole day of riding more than once!!

Excellent thread for the newbie that I am! :-)

Dumb question: For the 2-stroke riders here, how do you deal with refueling? Do you simply carry oil and mix it at the pump or do you carry a certain amout of premix with you?

Sorry, don't mean to hack the thread, I felt it was relevant. :-)

Not stalking but seriously, I feel like whenever I look at a new topic I can rely on you to have thrown a dumb commenrt in there somewhere, why don't you turn the computer off and come back when you learned how to provide legirimate input, not say comments to try and get people mad at you, is arguing over the internet your hobby? Why are you always so pissed?

So far you are the one in here trying to derail this thread off topic and posting nonsense. 

My post was on topic maybe i like to spark up a J and get some &%$#@! (safely) in the middle of a long ride whats it to you?