Sign in to follow this  

Engine assembly cost

Okay so I myself tried to fix my bike but I just don't know how to do it right. I'm gonna take it to a mechanic and have it done right so I can quit worrying about it. I know it varies from shop to shop but what would be the average cost for them to check the whole engine, tell me what's wrong, and for them to put it all back together? I already have a whole brand new top end and re-plated cylinder with no time on them so I know that stuff is all good.

call a shop and ask..... or buy a service manual and learn to do it yourself shop cost are not worth it to me id rather learn to fix my own bike than have some one else do it ....but thats just me lol 

• Like 1

what part of Missouri are you from? I'm from mid-mo I try to use freedom cycles in Grandview,mo, when I buy my parts or have suspension serviced, I do all my own work besides suspension, I agree with everyone else get a manual and learn lol. its not that tough,

Okay so I myself tried to fix my bike but I just don't know how to do it right. I'm gonna take it to a mechanic and have it done right so I can quit worrying about it. I know it varies from shop to shop but what would be the average cost for them to check the whole engine, tell me what's wrong, and for them to put it all back together? I already have a whole brand new top end and re-plated cylinder with no time on them so I know that stuff is all good.

I myself can do the work, but I work 60 - 80 hrs a week so I prefer to use the shop. I send it in and go pick it up&go riding.

Most good shops will be busy so you may want to ask to schedule it in, this way its only there as long as it needs to be.

I will do basic maintenance on it, but engine work, I don't have time for most weeks.

I look at it like this, I wouldn't ask them to fix any components in the back of an ambulance, so why do I want to do their job.

This is how they make money, just find one you feel comfortable with and trust.

Your bike will run better professionally tuned.

Just my 2¢ expect to pay for the piece of mind.

For a full rebuild (bottom end and top) its like 6-8 hours i believe most shops charge.

For a full rebuild (bottom end and top) its like 6-8 hours i believe most shops charge.

And???? Your point is?

The problem I see most of the time is,

I am a automotive mechanic by trade have twenty years certified experience.

I see people try to fix cars, and either screw it up by not having correct knowledge, or correct tools for the job at hand.

Same goes with bikes, yes, there is a difference between doing a job, and doing a job well.

Most good motorcycle shops, especially pro level shops, do jobs well. The kind of shops that will repair what it needs and let you know if they find something else while there.

Not the kind that just does the job at hand and neglects to tell you, while they just did the top end as instructed, neglecting the worn out crank bearings etc.

I've seen shops like this before.

I have enough confidence in the shop I deal with, that I drop it off and say give me a total end cost. So after teardown they estimate it. Then call me. I understand as being a mechanic you don't know end cost until its toredown, some people want estimated cost up front and freak out when its more. Or force the shop owner to give a cya estimate. Which is always high.

Feed your local mechanics. They need to eat too!

And???? Your point is?

Well my point was that You could say at a shop rate of say 70 dollars an hour, then somebody could do the elementary math to get themselves a ballpark figure on what it will cost them.This simply answered the question of what it would take to take his engine apart and put it back together. Theres no need to get all riled up over it. And for what its worth, you're right everybody needs to eat. But thats not someone else's burden, the mechanics chose the route of being a mechanic (and before you say it, I have ZERO issues with mechanics) and all that comes with it for the good and the bad. 

Edited by dmm698
  • Like 1

Well my point was that You could say at a shop rate of say 70 dollars an hour, then somebody could do the elementary math to get themselves a ballpark figure on what it will cost them.This simply answered the question of what it would take to take his engine apart and put it back together. Theres no need to get all riled up over it. And for what its worth, you're right everybody needs to eat. But thats not someone else's burden, the mechanics chose the route of being a mechanic (and before you say it, I have ZERO issues with mechanics) and all that comes with it for the good and the bad.

OK your previous statement wasn't clear to me. I'm not rowed up, just stated that I believe that I work hard enough during the week. I don't want to have to worry about scrambling to fix the bike before I ride. I'd rather drop it off during the week then pick it up & ride.

And yes if you add shop rates by time and costs of parts then allow approximately 15% extra for unexpected expenses most of the time you're OK.

At my place Id charge

(2t)

-$100 for top end

-$250 for full motor rebuild

-$200to tear it apart and look it over

-$300. To remove from bike and rebuild

-extra stuff such as boring, cylinder plating, etc is all extra

(4t)

-$250 for top end

-$400 for full motor

-$350 to tear apart and look it all over

$450 to remove and rebuild

Also it all varys on condition and all.

That's a base price for MY shop.

Most shops charge $70++ an hour

I however do not and am fairly reasonable.

I was in same position you are in. I sent my motor to a friend of mine John Stallworth at JSR Performance in Kansas. He charges $475 for total disassembly, case separation, inspection, parts list compilation, and reassembly and tune. He uses a load dyno also

Well I thought I'd just let you guys know that I called the shop I usually go to. He charges $250 for complete tear down, cleaning and completely reassembly of entire motor. Not to bad I think.

Well I thought I'd just let you guys know that I called the shop I usually go to. He charges $250 for complete tear down, cleaning and completely reassembly of entire motor. Not to bad I think.

Yeah at $60 an hour for labor (which is a pretty good rate) thats about 4 hours worth of work. I would feel satisfied for that price.

But be prepared for larger expenses if he finds some issues lurking, let alone if you have a 4 stroke.

Yeah at $60 an hour for labor (which is a pretty good rate) thats about 4 hours worth of work. I would feel satisfied for that price.

But be prepared for larger expenses if he finds some issues lurking, let alone if you have a 4 stroke.

yeah I'm kinda expecting it to be more than that in the end and it's 2 stroke. I'm having a bottom end rebuild and new piston put in also Edited by HondaDude21

yeah I'm kinda expecting it to be more than that in the end and it's 2 stroke. I'm having a bottom end rebuild and new piston put in also

Well, you already know what hes charging you for the labor, so if you go to motosport or something and look up the price for a bottom end kit and a top end kit (assuming they come with gaskets) for your bike youll be right in the ball park for your total cost and shouldn't have any surprises!

Well, you already know what hes charging you for the labor, so if you go to motosport or something and look up the price for a bottom end kit and a top end kit (assuming they come with gaskets) for your bike youll be right in the ball park for your total cost and shouldn't have any surprises!

yeah I've looked up what a hot rods bottom end kit is and it was $270 and new top end was $150. So I'm lookin at a grand total of about $700-$750 for a complete engine rebuild done professionally. Don't seem to bad to me. I'm sure I'll be happy with it

Labor cost me $400 installed and somewhat broken in on a load dyno for me. Parts were another thing that I had to become resourceful and really find the best deals. I had to find a used donor motor to rebuild as I had some pretty large holes in the cases. Usually someone knows someone who is a at home mechanic with the tools and knowledge to get your job done.. Mine happened to be a retired jet engine mechanic who happened to be an amazing dirt bike guru. Good luck,,, at least in the end you will know that you have a brand new motor not something that someone said was never RACED... my favorite line