Sign in to follow this  

Gopro mount help

Hi, i just bought a new helmet for myself. its a fly racing one, and im in a bit of a pickle. i bought it and never realized that the top of the helmet was crested (somewhat pointed). i have tried mounting it on the sides aswell, but the helmet is very oddly shaped. i was wondering if i could get some help with this, maybe someone could give me some advice on how to jury rig a mount, or possibly have someone custom make one for me.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

-Dave

I will also upload a picture of the helmet aswell.

IMG_0141.JPG

Can you mount the camera more towards the "back" of the helmet? The camera should be just low enough that it doesn't "see" the crown or the visor. Some people also mount the cameras on the side of the helmet.

If you give up and buy a different style of camera you are more than welcome to send that "box" of a camera over my way  :goofy:

Under the visor mounting is cool. If there is a flat spot on the chin piece some folks stick a GoPro mount there as well.

+1. My peak is flat so I used a surf board mount.

001_zps78d33dae.jpg

Just move slightly to the left or right. Should be fine.

There is a flat mount and a contoured mount for helmets. I have a mount on a fly racing helmet but had to use the contour mount offset and back a little. Works great. Sometimes I run the chest mount up high when running in new/tight single track type stuff. I've had that camera ripped off before by a branch. I always tether it(there is a hole for this) to the visor. That way if it fails, it will flop around and ill notice. With the chest mount its really safe except if you wipeout and slide like you're stealing home plate!! That can leave a mark.

Under the visor. Also if it ever should drop, you will know exactly when. And NO, it will not be disturbing to your vision

• Like 1

Under the visor is where I always put mine too. More of a realistic "line of site" view, plus more out of harms way in a crash or from limbs if you riding in the woods.

• Like 1

The surf board mount has a "Leg Rope" for your camera :goofy: .  (safety hook and line) If mine falls off it will just hang to the side of my goggles Instead of hitting the ground and possibly being run over   :thumbsup: .

Is that the F2 Carbon?

I just got one and am trying to figure this out too. Top of helmet won't work 'cause of the crest and the lead-in to the chin bar has all kinds of different angles. Tried a side mount hanging down from the visor, but it's too flimsy. It looks like I'm going to try a side mount just behind the eye opening and below where the goggle strap would go (still tricky there). Or just stick a mount on the good curved surface on top and use the side mount hardware, adjusting it at about a 45 degree angle. This would also bring it down a bit so it's not so much in harms way.

I try to get it sorted tonight. I didn't pull the trigger last night 'cause I already messed up the one mount and took paint off the visor. Want to make sure it's right.

Edited by ubu

Is that the F2 Carbon?

I just got one and am trying to figure this out too. Top of helmet won't work 'cause of the crest and the lead-in to the chin bar has all kinds of different angles. Tried a side mount hanging down from the visor, but it's too flimsy. It looks like I'm going to try a side mount just behind the eye opening and below where the goggle strap would go (still tricky there). Or just stick a mount on the good curved surface on top and use the side mount hardware, adjusting it at about a 45 degree angle. This would also bring it down a bit so it's not so much in harms way.

I try to get it sorted tonight. I didn't pull the trigger last night 'cause I already messed up the one mount and took paint off the visor. Want to make sure it's right.

The Helmet I the Pic I posted is an M2R.

I like the view from the side mount, you can normally see the bars. Could always get a chest mount as well.

i ended up slapping it on the side. i have some videos on youtube of it if anyone wishes to see how it looks.

Can you mount the camera more towards the "back" of the helmet? The camera should be just low enough that it doesn't "see" the crown or the visor. Some people also mount the cameras on the side of the helmet.

If you give up and buy a different style of camera you are more than welcome to send that "box" of a camera over my way  :goofy:

Plus one

I agree, try the side. I used to mount and record from the top, but I tried the side once and I like it so much more. You can see the bike moving under you a bit and it helps see the whole picture. Even a little offset may be fine if you still want it up top.

• Like 1

I mount mine under my visor. It allows you to get a great perspective, and you can keep an eye on the camera. Another thing you can do is see if the light is on which indicates the camera is running. Here is how I mount it to a curved visor.

How To Mount Under Visor Link