Sign in to follow this  

Dealership/Shop Probs

Alright, I have two local shops, one's always there for me, stocks an insane amount of parts to minimize ordering and waiting, and has great customer service.  They help me and give great advice.   The other one ... not so much.  

Today they have really upset me and I just give up :banghead: .  And i dont blame the dealership, its some of their employees.  I just feel like I HAVE to get this off my chest.  :foul:

I asked them to point me in the direction of 19" tires - physically where they were located in the shop.  I was asked what bike I had... Ok... why?  I said YZ250F and he replys: Ok let me check the computer. I just said forget it and left for my good dealer. I didnt go there first because its several miles farther and this one's a mile and a half down the road.

I had a problem with my front brake being weak, described the symptoms to my good dealer, and they said it sounds like a master cylinder needed to be rebuilt (20 bucks in parts), but i should get as many opinions as possible.  I call the other shop, describing the symptoms, they interrupt me and say "hey kid, we cant give advice over the phone, you'll have to bring it in for a diagnosis which runs around $120".  I told him that I knew i needed one of three parts, and it would cost me half the money to buy all three than it would for a diagnosis, and that I'm an adult, and hung up on him.  I bought a master cylinder rebuild kit like he recommended and it solved it.

Last time (my dads not too great with this stuff), my dad needed a part because the petcock on his fuel tank was leaking.  I knew all he needed was an O-ring, but i didnt go with him, and they sold him the whole $100 assembly instead of the 3 dollar O-ring, saying it only comes with the assy.  Of course, he paid and they ordered since they have no inventory.  Whats the point of a dealer if you can just go online and buy it just like they can? Anyway, I got on the phone with the secretary or whoever, ruined her day I'm sure (I was beyond pi$$ed at this point), and had them cancel the order.  They said there's a restocking fee of 25%.  I told them "nuh-uh, bulls**t, you're giving my dad every dime back" and they ended up doing that, I'll give em some credit for that.  Then I ordered the 3 dollar o-ring online at home and that was the end of it.

Then, they tried to sell me a 13 dollar oil filter for my dads quad, while at my good dealer I can get a filter for 3.25 (http://www.magicracing.com/HiFlo-Oil-Filter-LT-Z400-2003-2013_p_151748.html#.UjYqDsaTiSo).  I told him about that and he says "Its likely some ripoff chinese low quality brand. This is genuine OEM!" I looked him in the eye, said not one word, shook my head, and walked out and went home.  The so-called "chinese rip-off" was a HiFlo filter, which i've been using in my bike forever, and is just as high and if not higher quality.  Not sure where its made, but its irrelevant. 

And finally, which tore the last straw, I called them today to see if they had valve shims in stock because my good dealer was out of the size i needed at the moment.  They asked what bike i rode (arent valve shims not dependent on that?) and what year (really?).  They told me they didnt carry valve shims (ok, i guess I'm fine with that).  "we can order you a full kit for around 99.99 if you'd like".  I said that's not what I was looking for and anyway my other dealer lists those for like 20 bucks less.  heres what really dove me nuts - I said, "Don't you have some in the shop? I brought my dads quad there a year back and you shimmed his valves in just a couple days. (They have a whole parking lot full of stuff people bring in for them to work on.  I know they do TONS of shim work because so many people are scared to tear down their engine and when I brought my dads in they said they were currently doing the same thing to several other machines).  Can I just buy a couple from there?"  They tell me "We do have a bunch in the shop, just like we would any common part like oil and filters, but we cant sell what's stocked in the shop.  its separate inventory for the shop and we cant sell that inventory to customers."  REALLY?! IS IT GOING TO KILL SOMEONE IF YOU GIVE ME ONE GOD DANG SHIM?  :banghead:   

I've had it.  Just had to get it off my chest.  Anyone else have these problems or is it just me/just my dealer?  I dont know, I'm interested to see your experiences.  I guess this can be the "vent anger about your store" thread haha.  Take care  :thumbsup:

Yes.

Around here we have only three good dealers.

Honda in Richmond Ind.

42miles N.W.

Yamaha 68 miles north east in Springfield oh.

KTM 34 miles north in Dayton Ohio.

We lost our local KTM dealer

Plessingers cycle. This I hated to see cause they always treated me right. Was a good shop.

The rest are just absolute idiots to deal with.

Just my past exp.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 2

the dealer closest to me is a bunch of dumbass over priced idiots. the people in the shop charge double of what every other shop around me charges. my dads friend bout a waverunner there and the shop repairs waverunners. he took it in one time just for your typical tune up. the mechanic literally screamed and went off on him for calling in and asking how it was going did they find any problems and seeing if they were on budget with him. i will never take my toys there they have terrible service, disrespectful, and dont act like a business should act. 

• Like 2

the dealer closest to me is a bunch of dumbass over priced idiots. the people in the shop charge double of what every other shop around me charges. my dads friend bout a waverunner there and the shop repairs waverunners. he took it in one time just for your typical tune up. the mechanic literally screamed and went off on him for calling in and asking how it was going did they find any problems and seeing if they were on budget with him. i will never take my toys there they have terrible service, disrespectful, and dont act like a business should act.

Though its no excuse.

He might have been having a bad day. Maybe he found out his dog ran off, wife was cheating with his brother and his daughter was busted for prostitution. Lmao that's enough to send someone over the edge a minute.

Most folks at a dealership are told to up sell if possible.  It is just like a woman going to a car mechanic.  They unfortunately assume that everyone is a moron.  I have had similar experiences with dealers and don't buy from them if I can get away with it.  I buy most of my parts online.  The usual consumables, like oil filters, oil, and the like, I go to a local motorcycle parts house that is not a dealer.  Most parts guys are not as informed as those that do their own wrenching.  

• Like 1

I have a different problem one dealer has horrible customer service but great inventory while the other has almost no inventory and amazing service so I usually end up buying online and for my motor work I get that done by al posey at posey racing in California (he does great work, wink wink)

working at a dealership i know the problems, thankfully the employee's causing said problem get gone pretty quick. we stock ALOT but dont have room for everything, theres a point where having a big inventory is a good thing, but like you said being able to order online is more convienient to alot of people.
but sometimes the "i can get it cheaper online" thing really kills us, yes i know it's 5 dollars cheaper online, and yes i can match it if you want me to and you can have it today, but nope.

had a guy buy a, A, sparkplug online because it was 1.99. with 9 dollar shipping... i dont understand some people

• Like 2

Though its no excuse.

He might have been having a bad day. Maybe he found out his dog ran off, wife was cheating with his brother and his daughter was busted for prostitution. Lmao that's enough to send someone over the edge a minute.

very true but he has been having a problem with him for a few years he hates going to them but they are the only ones close to us to do it 

Sorry to hear the bad experiences. I have been having the issue where it seems they just hire people with streetbike expertise. When I was looking for a new 450f I had a guy helping me and I asked if he could tell me about it and his exact answer was "It goes fast and can jump far." I just stood stunned and walked out to next dealership.

Edited by suplol
  • Like 2

I always expect to pay more at a dealer and never mention anything about online while I'm there.  They hate it when you try on something and then go online to get it.  

The nearest dealer is 25 miles, a Yamaha/Beta dealer.  Fortunately the guy is knowledgable and easy to talk to.  I needed a couple 7.42mm #155 shims and he had em, sold to me for $3 each.  

The dealers do try to up sell.  I've never brought a bike to a mechanic but know others who have.  Usually they pay a lot of money for not much of a repair.  

The trouble with some mechanics at dealers is they went to a  motorcycle mechanics school and then to a dealer and got a job.  They were not motorheads beforehand.  They run into a problem and can't think outside the box.  

• Like 1

I am fortunate that I have a couple of great Honda dealerships close. The one use the most, has outstanding customer service. I needed a valve shim a while back so I called them and asked if they had the size I needed. The parts guy told me they had the shim I needed and to bring in the shim I was replacing. He exchanged shims at no cost. This is one of the numerous examples of great customer service I have received.

I am fortunate that I have a couple of great Honda dealerships close. The one use the most, has outstanding customer service. I needed a valve shim a while back so I called them and asked if they had the size I needed. The parts guy told me they had the shim I needed and to bring in the shim I was replacing. He exchanged shims at no cost. This is one of the numerous examples of great customer service I have received.

which dealer is that ?

working at a dealership i know the problems, thankfully the employee's causing said problem get gone pretty quick. we stock ALOT but dont have room for everything, theres a point where having a big inventory is a good thing, but like you said being able to order online is more convienient to alot of people.

but sometimes the "i can get it cheaper online" thing really kills us, yes i know it's 5 dollars cheaper online, and yes i can match it if you want me to and you can have it today, but nope.

had a guy buy a, A, sparkplug online because it was 1.99. with 9 dollar shipping... i dont understand some people

yeah i feel you on that,  I'd pay a couple extra bucks to support my local shop any day.  But if they've given me problems, I wouldn't.  And my other dealer often beats online prices as it is, even on big brand name stuff.  I'm pretty surprised about that.  They make plenty of money trust me, I only order online when its a part that isnt stocked.  The problem is that my good shop is a KTM dealer and i ride a YZ, so I have to order OEM parts online at a partshouse website.  Which I'd imagine is to some extent what they do too.

It depends on what you consider a lot of stock.  My good dealer has all tools you could imagine, all brands of gear and tires, air filters, chains, stands, even a rack of handlebars, grips, chains, a full 3-shelf 20 foot long rack of tires, gasket sets, graphics kits, and soo many things.  My bad dealer carrys not one thing i just mentioned.  I mean you'd think things like air filters, tires, grips at least they'd carry because there such a commonly needed part.  And you cant blame it on size, the "bad" dealer has at least double the floorspace of my good shop.  

Honestly, its theyre unprofessional and disrespectful treatment that got me.  I could forgive prices if it wasnt for that.  MAybe inventory as well if they didnt look at me like i was a retard when i asked for something they dont have.

• Like 1

see this would be fantastic for me! thats good service.  

I also notice how far of a drive the dealers are for you guys, I'm lucky, mine are only 2 and 5 miles away.  So I often go there a couple times a week

Yes.

Around here we have only three good dealers.

Honda in Richmond Ind.

42miles N.W.

Yamaha 68 miles north east in Springfield oh.

KTM 34 miles north in Dayton Ohio.

We lost our local KTM dealer

Plessingers cycle. This I hated to see cause they always treated me right. Was a good shop.

The rest are just absolute idiots to deal with.

Just my past exp.

Maximum Powersports in Peru and Twin City Motorsports in Lafayette are extremely good as well.

Alright, I have two local shops, one's always there for me, stocks an insane amount of parts to minimize ordering and waiting, and has great customer service.  They help me and give great advice.   The other one ... not so much.  

Today they have really upset me and I just give up :banghead: .  And i dont blame the dealership, its some of their employees.  I just feel like I HAVE to get this off my chest.  :foul:

I asked them to point me in the direction of 19" tires - physically where they were located in the shop.  I was asked what bike I had... Ok... why?  I said YZ250F and he replys: Ok let me check the computer. I just said forget it and left for my good dealer. I didnt go there first because its several miles farther and this one's a mile and a half down the road.

I had a problem with my front brake being weak, described the symptoms to my good dealer, and they said it sounds like a master cylinder needed to be rebuilt (20 bucks in parts), but i should get as many opinions as possible.  I call the other shop, describing the symptoms, they interrupt me and say "hey kid, we cant give advice over the phone, you'll have to bring it in for a diagnosis which runs around $120".  I told him that I knew i needed one of three parts, and it would cost me half the money to buy all three than it would for a diagnosis, and that I'm an adult, and hung up on him.  I bought a master cylinder rebuild kit like he recommended and it solved it.

Last time (my dads not too great with this stuff), my dad needed a part because the petcock on his fuel tank was leaking.  I knew all he needed was an O-ring, but i didnt go with him, and they sold him the whole $100 assembly instead of the 3 dollar O-ring, saying it only comes with the assy.  Of course, he paid and they ordered since they have no inventory.  Whats the point of a dealer if you can just go online and buy it just like they can? Anyway, I got on the phone with the secretary or whoever, ruined her day I'm sure (I was beyond pi$$ed at this point), and had them cancel the order.  They said there's a restocking fee of 25%.  I told them "nuh-uh, bulls**t, you're giving my dad every dime back" and they ended up doing that, I'll give em some credit for that.  Then I ordered the 3 dollar o-ring online at home and that was the end of it.

Then, they tried to sell me a 13 dollar oil filter for my dads quad, while at my good dealer I can get a filter for 3.25 (http://www.magicracing.com/HiFlo-Oil-Filter-LT-Z400-2003-2013_p_151748.html#.UjYqDsaTiSo).  I told him about that and he says "Its likely some ripoff chinese low quality brand. This is genuine OEM!" I looked him in the eye, said not one word, shook my head, and walked out and went home.  The so-called "chinese rip-off" was a HiFlo filter, which i've been using in my bike forever, and is just as high and if not higher quality.  Not sure where its made, but its irrelevant. 

And finally, which tore the last straw, I called them today to see if they had valve shims in stock because my good dealer was out of the size i needed at the moment.  They asked what bike i rode (arent valve shims not dependent on that?) and what year (really?).  They told me they didnt carry valve shims (ok, i guess I'm fine with that).  "we can order you a full kit for around 99.99 if you'd like".  I said that's not what I was looking for and anyway my other dealer lists those for like 20 bucks less.  heres what really dove me nuts - I said, "Don't you have some in the shop? I brought my dads quad there a year back and you shimmed his valves in just a couple days. (They have a whole parking lot full of stuff people bring in for them to work on.  I know they do TONS of shim work because so many people are scared to tear down their engine and when I brought my dads in they said they were currently doing the same thing to several other machines).  Can I just buy a couple from there?"  They tell me "We do have a bunch in the shop, just like we would any common part like oil and filters, but we cant sell what's stocked in the shop.  its separate inventory for the shop and we cant sell that inventory to customers."  REALLY?! IS IT GOING TO KILL SOMEONE IF YOU GIVE ME ONE GOD DANG SHIM?  :banghead:   

I've had it.  Just had to get it off my chest.  Anyone else have these problems or is it just me/just my dealer?  I dont know, I'm interested to see your experiences.  I guess this can be the "vent anger about your store" thread haha.  Take care  :thumbsup:

About the tire issue, if the shop doesn't keep the tires in front for the customer, then just saying that you need a 19" tire will give you a confused look due to all the different sizes. That is probably why they wanted to know what kind of bike it was on. Now, I used to wrench on bikes (whole other story....), and now do hvac. The thing that you have to understand is that a technician gets paid on flat rate, meaning that they don't get paid if they aren't wrenching. The other thing that is kinda crappy is that you can't really diagnose something over the phone, even though they probably could pinpoint it, just due to liability issues. I sure wouldn't want to diagnose something like a brake issue over the phone, then have someone crash and say "joe blow at xyz shop" said that it was this, and now you are getting dragged through the crap, or even worse...sued. Some shops prefer to do things like that, and it sucks at times, but oh well. This is why I never bring things to the dealership anymore, I even try to get recall parts from dealerships and do it myself. Magic racing was cool and sent me the warranty kit for my 350, so I could do it myself.