Sign in to follow this  

Concept idea: yz350 freeride

Got the idea today of Yamaha making an enduro 2t from the crate. A possible competitor of KTM's 350 enduros, maybe? Do you think there's potential success for this model of bike?

KTM thinks so!

Personally I believe it is the perfect size bike a 350 - 400 size.

Yamaha made 400's I had one.

One of the best bikes I had.

The 350 is a little less power but is usable.

A lot of the older bikes back in the day where 350cc Hondas yamis etc. They got away from that size, so its less or more...

KTM has had bikes in this range quite a while. 300 360 380 440 2strokes, and now is filling in 4stroke line with the same mid range bikes.

I'm all for it. Maybe not a freeride. But a 350-400 two stroke would rock. Just a nice stupid engine that has no idea what rpm it's at. The harder you gas it. The harder it pulls. Sweet!

Edited by shagger
  • Like 1

The KTM350 freeride is a 4 stroke, and from what I've read it is a lot less powerful than the 350 SXF or XCF, etc.  A YZ350 would be a beast compared to a KTM350 freeride.

I should have never sold my old KTM 380.  I would have been better parting it out and keeping the motor to put into something else.  The power and torque on it was unreal.  Fortunately there are 325cc and 345cc options for the YZ now.

The KTM350 freeride is a 4 stroke, and from what I've read it is a lot less powerful than the 350 SXF or XCF, etc. A YZ350 would be a beast compared to a KTM350 freeride.

You're right. Lol, for whatever reason when I pictured the bike in my head, I though of KTM's freeride. I was going for a straight enduro bike.

Actually, KTM is even MORE ahead now, with the intro of the 2 stroke Freeride 250...Trials style exhaust, no powervalve, etc...

Now that's a bike worth buying!

Why did they do that?  They are jetted for 80:1, I assume.  So, if you want to use a sane mix ratio, you might have to mess with jetting.

I'm guessing the thing doesn't rev very high.

With no powervalve and a trials style pipe, probably not. Super-sweet...

It does say it has "exhaust control".  I was thinking that meant power valve.  What else could it be, described that way?

It does say it has "exhaust control".  I was thinking that meant power valve.  What else could it be, described that way?

Did you read "SPORTY TWO-STROKE ENGINE" at that link?

There is a discription, 

The FREERIDE 250 R's engine has a brand new cylinder with ports and timings adjusted to the intended torque response, as well as a matching new piston. Similar to trials bikes, the 250 EXC's complex exhaust control valve is dropped, which benefits not only the response characteristics but also piston durability.

It seems to mean the engine dosn't have power valve. :)

Rather I want to ask you, where is the discription that it has "exhaust control"? 

Edited by kmtr

Did you read "SPORTY TWO-STROKE ENGINE" at that link?

There is a discription, 

It seems to mean the engine dosn't have power valve. :)

Rather I want to ask you, where is the discription that it has "exhaust control"? 

So it says it doesn't, then it says it does.  Read the technical details, engine design section....

http://www.ktm.com/us/freeride/freeride-250-r/highlights.html#.UjhP670o7IU

Look at the pictures. There's not exhaust valve on that engine. Just some typos in the technical specs.

Can run 80:1 because it's a VERY mildly tuned engine, 25 hp from a 250cc 2 stroke is not a high specific power output. Plus I would guess just by looking at the pipe, lack of power valve, 28 mm carb, etc, that it's all done making power before 6000 rpm.

I love the concept of the Freeride bikes. I feel you don't need much power for most trails, just a nimble and modern chassis/suspension. Unfortunately most people likely don't feel the same, and KTM doesn't bother sending them over here to sell the dozen or so that would get picked up. Most people would look at a 23 hp 350 4T and 25 hp 250 2T as a bad joke. These bikes are the answer to a question that the US market isn't asking.

• Like 2

I'm all for having a 25 hp. 250.  And if there's  no need for a power valve, all the better.  Cheaper, more reliable.  For that bike, kind of a "no lose" situation, I think.

Edited by motoxvet

Look at the pictures. There's not exhaust valve on that engine. Just some typos in the technical specs.

Or, may be it means this.

Similar to the competition enduros, the two-stroke FREERIDE is homologated with a special power restriction kit and is even streetlegal on public roads in this version.

Can run 80:1 because it's a VERY mildly tuned engine, 25 hp from a 250cc 2 stroke is not a high specific power output. Plus I would guess just by looking at the pipe, lack of power valve, 28 mm carb, etc, that it's all done making power before 6000 rpm.

These detailes are similar to 80's trial bikes.Except the electronic starter. 

I've been interested in like the concept of the Freeride bikes.I am looking forward to that will come. 

Five years ago, I made an odd bike for trail ride. It was TY250Z with YZ85 suspensions. It's just a Yamaha 2-Stroke. :)

TYZE00_zps8bd68971.jpg

I made this for my wife. But she said, " OK. It's almost good. And, where is the electronic starter?". :excuseme:

• Like 1

I think the Freeride 2 stroke enduro/trials bike hybrid concept is awesome!  1980s concept = fine!  Good ideas are too often forgotten.

Punchy, crisp, quiet, 2013 design European trials bike 2 stroke motors are great!  Blending that type of motor with an enduro type chassis setup with a seat is a great idea.  I can see people buying one for a daughter or wife and then all the boys in the family want to ride it all the time. Gradually people see the light and the market changes.  These things are much lighter footed on the ground too, so much less erosion problems.

I'd love to see the Japanese manufacturers getting back into light weight and agile 2 strokes for adults, particularly in the offroad bike market. But I just cannot see it happening. They seem so conservative with their marketing. KTM and the Euro brands are blitzing that market while they can.

I think the Freeride 2 stroke enduro/trials bike hybrid concept is awesome! 1980s concept = fine! Good ideas are too often forgotten.

Punchy, crisp, quiet, 2013 design European trials bike 2 stroke motors are great! Blending that type of motor with an enduro type chassis setup with a seat is a great idea. I can see people buying one for a daughter or wife and then all the boys in the family want to ride it all the time. Gradually people see the light and the market changes. These things are much lighter footed on the ground too, so much less erosion problems.

I'd love to see the Japanese manufacturers getting back into light weight and agile 2 strokes for adults, particularly in the offroad bike market. But I just cannot see it happening. They seem so conservative with their marketing. KTM and the Euro brands are blitzing that market while they can.

Also, EPA killed the 2 stroke trail bikes. Its closed course competition only, or else it has to meet emissions, since 2006 (when the kdx died). KTM sells their 2 strokes without spark arrestors for this very reason.