Whats up guys (and girls)? New rider here. Introduction and ?'s

Hey guys, whats going on?? Just wanted to make a thread and say what's up to the forum, I can tell I will find a lot of needed info on these forums.

Anyway, I just bought my first "real" bike. Always wanted a nice bike since a kid, but the most I ever had was a 200cc blaster when I was like 11-13, a crappy pep-boys 90cc dirt bike, and a crf80f. Also ridden a cr85r before but not for long. Just a few rides.

The bike I got is a 1995 Kawasaki KX 125, and it's super clean. The guy I bought it from rebuilt at least one part of the motor, I can't remember if he said top or bottom or both. Also replaced the front forks with ones from a honda model, and said he rebuilt the rear suspension. I know he sprung it for a bigger guy, he was 6'2 and 230#. I don't know much about suspension or really anything so I don't know what else he did, maybe replace the shock itself or something.

Also has some aftermarket foot pegs he fabbed on, and it looks like an upgraded braking system. Pro circut exhuast, and bark buster hand guards. He did custom graphics on it too from I think an 09 model. Got it for $800, +$40 gas and $8 tolls. I really like the bike, it's crazy fast haha. I finally know what people mean when they say "hitting the power band". Almost feels like a turbo kicking in or something lol.

A few questions for anyone who has the time to answer:

1. What is the best way to lower my bike? I'm 5'7 and 160 pounds. I'm fine while riding but would like to be able to stand without looking dumb at a stop and turn at slow speeds better. So far I lowered the back a little with those two locking nuts or whatever, and I lowerd the front a little by loosening the fork clamps and sliding them up a little. Is that ok to do? It helped a little, seemed to ride fine and I was thinking I could shave a little off the seat to get the rest of the clearance I need.

2. I know I need to keep the oil changed, radiator full, brake fluids checked, trans fluid in, oil filter clean and oiled, but what other general maintanence do I need to know how to do to keep this bike alive for me until I buy a dual sport? It seems to be in really good shape even though it;s a 95 and I'd like to keep it that way. I want to use this bike to learn as much as I can, from modding to tuning to just general care. That way when I get a REALLY nice bike I don't run it to the ground.

3. I have 4 sprockets for the bike total. I know bigger = top speed and smaller = low end, right? Which sprocket would be best for wheelies? I'm still getting used to the bike but it seems like its kinda hard to keep up. I was thinking the guy I got it from had it geared for more speed, to keep the front end down while ripping around the track. It looks like one of the bigger sprockets that's on there.

4. What other suggestions would you have for a new-ish rider, with somewhat of a knack for this kind of stuff who is new to race bikes. If you have any questions just ask!

I know this is a lot and I'll definitely be searching around looking for all this info on my own, but just starting a general convo. Hopefully this is the right forum!

IMG_20130914_115113_1311.jpg

Hey guys, whats going on?? Just wanted to make a thread and say what's up to the forum, I can tell I will find a lot of needed info on these forums.

Anyway, I just bought my first "real" bike. Always wanted a nice bike since a kid, but the most I ever had was a 200cc blaster when I was like 11-13, a crappy pep-boys 90cc dirt bike, and a crf80f. Also ridden a cr85r before but not for long. Just a few rides.

The bike I got is a 1995 Kawasaki KX 125, and it's super clean. The guy I bought it from rebuilt at least one part of the motor, I can't remember if he said top or bottom or both. Also replaced the front forks with ones from a honda model, and said he rebuilt the rear suspension. I know he sprung it for a bigger guy, he was 6'2 and 230#. I don't know much about suspension or really anything so I don't know what else he did, maybe replace the shock itself or something.

Also has some aftermarket foot pegs he fabbed on, and it looks like an upgraded braking system. Pro circut exhuast, and bark buster hand guards. He did custom graphics on it too from I think an 09 model. Got it for $800, +$40 gas and $8 tolls. I really like the bike, it's crazy fast haha. I finally know what people mean when they say "hitting the power band". Almost feels like a turbo kicking in or something lol.

1. What is the best way to lower my bike? I'm 5'7 and 160 pounds. I'm fine while riding but would like to be able to stand without looking dumb at a stop and turn at slow speeds better. So far I lowered the back a little with those two locking nuts or whatever, and I lowerd the front a little by loosening the fork clamps and sliding them up a little. Is that ok to do? It helped a little, seemed to ride fine and I was thinking I could shave a little off the seat to get the rest of the clearance I need.

2. I know I need to keep the oil changed, radiator full, brake fluids checked, trans fluid in, oil filter clean and oiled, but what other general maintanence do I need to know how to do to keep this bike alive for me until I buy a dual sport? It seems to be in really good shape even though it;s a 95 and I'd like to keep it that way. I want to use this bike to learn as much as I can, from modding to tuning to just general care. That way when I get a REALLY nice bike I don't run it to the ground.

3. I have 4 sprockets for the bike total. I know bigger = top speed and smaller = low end, right? Which sprocket would be best for wheelies? I'm still getting used to the bike but it seems like its kinda hard to keep up. I was thinking the guy I got it from had it geared for more speed, to keep the front end down while ripping around the track. It looks like one of the bigger sprockets that's on there.

4. What other suggestions would you have for a new-ish rider, with somewhat of a knack for this kind of stuff who is new to race bikes. If you have any questions just ask!

I know this is a lot and I'll definitely be searching around looking for all this info on my own, but just starting a general convo. Hopefully this is the right forum!

As far as lowering the bike. Your hight sounds like it should work with the bike.  You really should try and figure out what springs you have and respring it for your weight and riding style.  You use the lock nuts to set the sag .  It should drip about 100mm when you are in the riding position.  You use the shock jam nuts to accomplish this. If you still must lower it, you can either cut the seat or get a lowering link.  You can push the forks up into the tripple clamps but this will effect handling.

I run ATF in the trans of my KX.  The clutch loves it and it seems to shift smother.  Use good quality 2 stroke oil mixed at 32 to 1.  I know other people have different opinions on this. 

In order to give advice on the gearing, I would have to know more about what you have.  I would suggest riding it and getting comfortable on the bike..

In order to give advice on the gearing, I would have to know more about what you have.  I would suggest riding it and getting comfortable on the bike..

"Whatever is best for wheelies"

:)

How can I give more info on the sprockets? Individually counting the teeth seems kind of impractical but I'll do it if that's how its done! haha.

I also think I need to repack the bike. The guy I bought it from said he runs 38:1 and has it jetted for that so I'll probably run around the same.

And also, how can I find out about the spring? I know it's a beefed up spring because the guy was pretty much bigger than me. I guess I need to look in to setting sag, I read a little about that but not much. Feel like I have a lot to learn! I guess that's cause I do haha.

Oh yeah, I'm in a pretty small yard, I can only really comfortably get to mayyybe fourth gear. Will that be bad for the bike? Also seem to do a lot of "putting" around. I try to make sure Im in a nice low gear when I'm going slow. As long as I "blow it out" which I assume means runnin her to max rpms before shifting it should be alright, yeah?

Most sprockets have the number of teeth stamped on them.  For instance my rear sprocket is a 50 tooth sprocket and my front sprocket is 14 teeth.  The front is easy enough to count.   

The springs are another story.  The springs in the fork you would have to take apart to see.  The rear spring you should be in the ball park if you set your free sag to 15 to 20mm.  Free sag is when there is no rider and the bikes own weight causes the rear suspension to compress.  If you set that and your race sag, which is you in full riding gear in riding position on the bike comes in at 100mm then the spring should be pretty close.  

While I would recomend you doing all this, I would also recomend that you just ride and have fun. 

Nice bike, looks like it was setup for woods.

When you set/check your suspension sag you are confirming the springs are the correct match for the combined weight of you and your bike.  Here's how you set your shock sag:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki/_/set-your-sag-r140

When referring to "sag", there is "rider" or "race" sag and "static" sag. Rider sag is when you are sitting on the bike, static sag is how much the suspension compresses under the bikes own weight.

Fork sag

25% rider

14% static

Shock sag

33% rider

11% statiic

These are percentages of the total suspension travel.  So your shock has a travel of 13".  To set your shock race/rider sag: 13x.33= 4.29"  

Adjust your preload rings on the shock until your rider sag is 4.29".  If the static sag is 1.43" the springs are good for your weight.

The forks do not have an external adjustment, but the same rules apply with the percentages.  You will need to measure 4-5 times then average out your measurements since the forks can stick a little.

If your static sag numbers don't come near the percentages they should be, you need to replace the springs.

If you were shorter I would suggest lowering your suspension internally.  But I think you can get away with just shaving the seat foam for now, until you get used to the bike or grow some. 

Where are you at in MD?

Thanks for all the help guys! Kinda busy with school but I'm going to read all those threads, and set my sag as soon as I can. Or hopefully set it if the spring isnt too stiff for me.

I'm from the east coast of MD. The closest track to me is Speed Citi in Delaware. Gonna get a proper helment and some boots and go out there as soon as I can.

Also, I found what appears to be some type of oil leak in the bike. I'm gonna look for engine diagrams and take a pic and put it up in whatever forum is appropriate and see if I can't diagnose that. hopefully nothing serious, but there was a fair amount of oil around the front end of the engine. I'll have to take pics to explain.

I think it was set up for woods. He said he raced 2 hare scrambles on it and was selling it to pay for suspension work on his 450. It's not crazy tall on me, I'm mostly fine when riding, but I just feel like I would have more balls if I knew both feet could comfortably touch the ground if need be.

Edited by ag_kx_md

For gear, the following online places are great for cheap gear. Check out their closeout specials. Right now Motorcyclesuperstore is killin it. I went to their warehouse sell on Sat, since it is only 30 min away. Got some killer deals.

Anyhoo:

Rockymountainmc.com

motortcyclesuperstore.com

motosport.com

ironpony.com

motorcyclecloseouts.com

ronayers.com

As for the oil leak. If it's real black and thick, it's normal. You should have a breather hose coming off the front of the engine that will occassionally drip. If you have alot of "spooge" coming from the pipe head, connection at silencer and tip of silencer, you need to jet the pilot down a little.

If it's coming from the cases somewhere, could be a bad sidecase gasket. If the center: trans oil plug or cases weren't sealed correctly last time they were split.

There's alot of little tricks to these 2 strokes. Don't be afraid to ask, but PLEASE do a few searches before you do. If you're totally stumped, we're here to help.

:thumbsup:

Ah, eastern shore, you might as well be in another state. ;)

Try to avoid the urge to put your feet down. You might want to try riding really, really slowly (walking pace or slower) initially in a straight line and then moving to small circles in each direction and finally figure 8s. That'll teach you balance and help you with keeping your feet on the pegs. If I can find a link to a video or more descriptive text I'll add here.

Welcome to the TT board.. 

With respect to your question regarding sprocket size: In general terms, a bigger rear sprocket will provide more torque, better bottom end, and less top end. (Increases RPM's at lower speeds) The smaller the rear sprocket - less torque, more top end. (Decreases RPM's at higher speeds)

I suggest finding the owners manual for your bike and determining the factory/OEM gearing. (Recommended sprocket sizes) Once you know what the proper gearing is supposed to be, it's much easier to play with the sprocket ratio to better match your riding style. If you're wanting to learn how to do wheelies, in my opinion you would probably want a bigger rear sprocket to give the bike more bottom end torque/power to help get the front end off the ground.  

Be sure to wear all the proper riding gear (Helmet, boots, gloves) to reduce the risk of injury if the bike loops over on you.. 

Good luck.

JL

Welcome to the TT board.. 

With respect to your question regarding sprocket size: In general terms, a bigger rear sprocket will provide more torque, better bottom end, and less top end. (Increases RPM's at lower speeds) The smaller the rear sprocket - less torque, more top end. (Decreases RPM's at higher speeds)

I suggest finding the owners manual for your bike and determining the factory/OEM gearing. (Recommended sprocket sizes) Once you know what the proper gearing is supposed to be, it's much easier to play with the sprocket ratio to better match your riding style. If you're wanting to learn how to do wheelies, in my opinion you would probably want a bigger rear sprocket to give the bike more bottom end torque/power to help get the front end off the ground.  

Be sure to wear all the proper riding gear (Helmet, boots, gloves) to reduce the risk of injury if the bike loops over on you.. 

Good luck.

Interesting, I had it backwards. I'm getting better at wheelies and can get the front end up, I just don't ride them very long. The thing is touchy up there lol. No such thing as a slow wheelie really, or so it seems. I've managed to pop first and get to second and ride a few times but I normally put it down because of how fast I get going haha. I'm pretty good at covering the rear brake from other smaller bikes and learning the hard way. I kind of have a bad habit of grabbing the clutch too, which could go wrong if I for some reason dump it.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Money is kind of low, but the first thing I'm gonna buy is a mx style helmet. I have a DOT street bike type helment but I don't like how big and heavy it is. Next would be the boots then chest protector then race pants and shirt.