Sign in to follow this  

Craigslist experts

Is it me, or is everyone selling a bike on craigslist and expert?  Almost all of the bikes I have looked at had a "fresh top end"  "killer compression" and the ever popular "fairly new fork seals".  Last bike I checked, 05 yz250,with a "fresh top end", I had no trouble flipping it over by hand.  I checked to see if the plug was in it.  The guy kicked for almost 15 min to get it to start then held the throttle wide open, (idiot) then had a gnads to tell me he wouldn't take less than $3,000 for it.  On the upside he "had just put new custom graphics" on it.  We all know how much better a bike runs with new stickers........

It is me or are they all like this?  I just wanted a winter project, maybe sell it in the spring.

• Like 1

ive seen some pretty bad ads.

Air cooled yz's claiming to be from the 90s (not the 490)

An it250 that was said to be made for "monster jumps" and made for professional racing

My dad was looking to buy a bike so he could keep up with me on my yz. We went really far away to look at this seemingly mint PE250. soon as we got there we saw the quality rattle can finish, then he showed us a trick to get it started. All you have to do to start it is squirt a little gas into the spark plug hole! then he decides to show us how fast he can go... big mistake. He takes off down the road, turns around and guns it. gets just past where we were standing and flips it over backwards and totals the bike. And then we went home, without the bike.

• Like 4

I see it all the time,more 2000-2001's being listed as 02- 04's and 05's listed as 06 or above,fresh top end,new lower end,bike run's great,never raced and all the other bullcrap.Sometime's I just want to call the person to mess with them.

• Like 1

Ya can't trust anyone anymore.. I drove a total of 12 hours for a 05 yz250f that "needed a timing chain and seals" well the timing was the problem.. the intake cam was torqued down so tight it melted into the head a lil bit.. ok fine I get a new cam re shim cam cap and get thw head cleaned. The forks didn't need new seals. They needed new forks. Basicay I bought a 750 $ paper weight. For now.. I've got a donor bike but its like, why cant people just be honest. It'd be a whole lot easier.

• Like 2

I saw a mid 90's listed as a 2002.  I emailed the guy asking for the VIN to verify the yearmodel and was promptly told to fuq off.  I responded with a request for him to go fuq himself with a cactus.

• Like 4

Yup, & a whole other circus around the $$ part of the transaction.  You have a 25% chance it's a straight-up deal.

We've discussed this kind of thing a few times.  You don't go shopping without the VIN codes for the bike you're looking at. Mis-representing the year is sometimes just ignorance.  Sometimes it's a little white lie embellishment.  Sometimes they figure they got screwed when they bought it (mis-represented year) and are trying to pass the screwing on to you. 

Condition is also all over the map.  With a total idiot, they really might think their bike is SWEET.  They just don't know any better.  You can kind of tell the maintenance a bike has had by general appearance.  With claims of a "new top end", I'd say "let me see the receipts".   The whole thing is a crap-shoot...or... caveat emptor.

I bought a '09', and turned out to be a 05...took it back after some major lawsuit threats. Got a real '08' for the same money with extras, from a nice guy. Like you guys said, CL is a crapshoot, sometimes without the shoot...

I must be one of the extremely very few lucky ones (horrible grammar sorry) that actually landed a used bike that did infact have everything done to it the owner said it had done. Awesome compression so I tweaked the tuning to my liking and rode it. And when i finally did the top end, i decided to go a little further and inspect the clutch and flyeheel and other misc parts. I discovered it did have a wiseco bottom end and Hinson clutch, a COMPLETE Hinson clutch. I about crapped golden bricks because my bike is a 2003 and I payed $1k cash and a 32" LCD TV for it..... Yeah probably the best deal I've ever had in my life. The clutch and engine rotating assembly are worth a grand alone. That was 3 years ago. Now she's got 07' 450F SSS suspension, PC full exhaust, wossner top end, RB #8 slide. More to come but currently addicted to modding my diesel truck haha

Edited by CRF450ish
  • Like 1

I have had bad luck with bikes on craigslist.  I bought a 125 that was in a 200 frame after I figured it all out and what parts I had I fixed it up a bit with the right parts and sold it.  When I did sell it I had a list of all the things that the bike had so he didn't have to go through the confusion I did.  Plus I sold it for like 200 bucks because of the confusion.  I don't mind getting bikes on craigslist just be honest about what you have.  Last bike was my buddies guy told us piston was blown just by another stock piston and we are good.  So my buddy had it honed and slapped another piston in it.  We knew it had a sleeve in it but we didn't know the guy bored it out just a little.  If the guy would have said "hey it's bored .20 over."  He wouldn't have killed his first piston, but people just don't like to tell you shit after you bought it. 

I have had bad luck with bikes on craigslist. I bought a 125 that was in a 200 frame after I figured it all out and what parts I had I fixed it up a bit with the right parts and sold it. When I did sell it I had a list of all the things that the bike had so he didn't have to go through the confusion I did. Plus I sold it for like 200 bucks because of the confusion. I don't mind getting bikes on craigslist just be honest about what you have. Last bike was my buddies guy told us piston was blown just by another stock piston and we are good. So my buddy had it honed and slapped another piston in it. We knew it had a sleeve in it but we didn't know the guy bored it out just a little. If the guy would have said "hey it's bored .20 over." He wouldn't have killed his first piston, but people just don't like to tell you shit after you bought it.

So its the sellers fault you guys didnt measure the bore or the piston you removed? For all you know a shop did the resleeve and didnt tell him it was oversized.

I'm looking at cheap bikes right niw for psrts for a hybrid build. I'm getting lots of laughs at the sheer number of bikes that "just need the carb cleaned" or "just needs rings." Equally hilarious is that 95% of sellers dont take anything off the price for these issues. Apparently late 80's 125s are still worth $1000-1500 evrn if they don't run as long as you claim it's "rare" or "crazy fast".

So its the sellers fault you guys didnt measure the bore or the piston you removed? For all you know a shop did the resleeve and didnt tell him it was oversized.

I'm looking at cheap bikes right niw for psrts for a hybrid build. I'm getting lots of laughs at the sheer number of bikes that "just need the carb cleaned" or "just needs rings." Equally hilarious is that 95% of sellers dont take anything off the price for these issues. Apparently late 80's 125s are still worth $1000-1500 evrn if they don't run as long as you claim it's "rare" or "crazy fast".

Im looking for a 2007 rm125... found one today and the guy was asking 3200 bucks. In his ad he said "back fender is snapped off and so are both the levers. But they are cheap and dont really need to be replaced anyway"

I cant ever believe how ridiculous some people are. 

I knew someone would say something about checking the bore.  Yes it was my buddies fault for not checking it, but now days it seems like you can't trust anyone.  When we got the bike it was all apart with no piston.  I was told it was running a stock piston and the bore was sleeved and it just needed a new one and it was ready to go.  So my buddy trusted him and paid for it. 

My neighbor bought a 2011 model bike which had been raced, but the owner didn't stop talking about his meticulous maintenance procedures. Got it home, found the rear wheel bearings were destroyed, Linkage bearings destroyed, rear shock clevis broken...

Don't ever buy a bike at night, I bought a mint looking XR400 a while back, only to realize the next morning that the guy had rattle canned all the plastics and the tank.

My buddy also bought a bike at night, ended up with a basket case 2005 CRF250R with worn out valves, improperly done big bore, missing engine bolts, leaking out every seal. We would have seen the warning signs if the light was better.

Don't buy a bike at night.

Edited by mudguy
  • Like 1

Just got a 2004 YZ250 off of Craigslist for $900. And yes, the owner claimed it was Mint Condition! Also claimed it'd go 0-100mph in 9 seconds flat!! I could see right thru all of his little lies, but figured for $900, I could dump it in the spring and make money if I didn't like it. The thing is in pretty good shape, as all he ever did was drag race it.

When I bought my Polaris RZR, the black guy I bought it from said it had "all highway miles", and it had just rolled 400 miles.

It was a lie, he only drove it around the neighborhood and on the railroad tracks, never on the highway.

He even gave me the impound receipt from when Vallejo PD impounded it.

Not a bike story, but I'll share anyway. I went with my brother to look at a used car. The owner stated that it only had 60 some thousand miles on it. When we got there the odometer confirmed it. However while we where taking it on a test drive we noticed the oil change sticker in the corner of the windshield said the next oil change was due at like 130,000 miles. We had a good laugh at that one. The thing is if the owner would have been honest about the mileage my brother probably would have bought the car. It was in nice condition.

Not a bike story, but I'll share anyway. I went with my brother to look at a used car. The owner stated that it only had 60 some thousand miles on it. When we got there the odometer confirmed it. However while we where taking it on a test drive we noticed the oil change sticker in the corner of the windshield said the next oil change was due at like 130,000 miles. We had a good laugh at that one. The thing is if the owner would have been honest about the mileage my brother probably would have bought the car. It was in nice condition.

Arend OD rollbacks illegal? Lol