Sign in to follow this  

Quiet down YZ250f

So I did a search and see very little info regarding quiet exhaust and what I did see was pretty old.

I recently picked up an '09 YZ250f and although no meter, appears to be fairly low hour, I bought from previous owner who claimed about 60 or so. My question is could the exhaust need to be repacked or is this just an obnoxiously loud bike, and if it is has anyone had any luck toning down the note and what did you use to achieve this and what did it cost ? As stated, new to dirt and just trying my best not to piss off all the surrounding land owners if I can quiet things down and my fun doesn't ruin others peace and quiet.

TYIA,

--RR

60 hrs use could use a repack. Also, depending on the previous owners use 60 hrs is time for a top end IF it has been mx'ed by someone who revs the bike. Double that interval if it's been putted around by a grandpa. Use your judgment of how the bike has been previously ridden and rebuild accordingly.

First, a big thank you for wanting to quiet down your ride. The dirt bike (and street bike) world need more guys like you.

The muffler may need repacking, but make no mistake, your 09 will still be a fairly loud bike with the stock muffler. How close to neighbors will you be riding? I would typically suggest a newest model FMF Q4, but if you are riding very close to other's property, maybe the Q4 may still not be quiet enough. Tell us about your riding spot and it will be easier to offer advice.

• Like 1

First, a big thank you for wanting to quiet down your ride. The dirt bike (and street bike) world need more guys like you.

The muffler may need repacking, but make no mistake, your 09 will still be a fairly loud bike with the stock muffler. How close to neighbors will you be riding? I would typically suggest a newest model FMF Q4, but if you are riding very close to other's property, maybe the Q4 may still not be quiet enough. Tell us about your riding spot and it will be easier to offer advice.

Amen.  Tired of people asking for the "loudest pipes".  Anyway I've heard great things about the FMF Q4 but I'm sure its not the absolute quietest.  The FMF Megabomb header claims to tone it down a couple dB too but FMF does tend to claim a lot of things with a tad of exaggeration  :busted:  Anyone who has a megabomb can maybe give you their results but personally I wouldnt know for sure

A stock WR250F exhaust would probably be the most quiet pipe available and would never need repacking.  Ebay prices are pretty good too.

I seem to recall that the OEM muffler on the yz250f was considerably shorter on the 09 compared to earlier years. Perhaps someone can confirm. Shorter would be louder.

The FMF Q4 is nice, and quiet for a performance muffler, but it is louder than stock. I think the reccomendations for stock WR may be right on.