Sign in to follow this  

2002 Xr200 blue book

Why is the blue book so low on the 2002 xr200r? The blue book according to kbb.com is $1160. Someone on craigslist is selling one for 1800. But the ad said it only had 200 miles and they said it just sat most of the time

IMO the blue book is high because I sure as H would not pay $1160 for an 02.  The CL seller is searching for a sucker.  How is the seller going to prove only 200 miles since the bike does not have an OEM odo?

IMO the blue book is high because I sure as H would not pay $1160 for an 02.  The CL seller is searching for a sucker.  How is the seller going to prove only 200 miles since the bike does not have an OEM odo?

All depends on the condition............IMO $1160 would be a fair price for a nice 02 that didn't need lots done to it.  For your average condition (thrashed) 02 that would be way high.  For a (rare) pristine, never ridden, always stored inside 02, $1,800 would be a fair price IMO.  I know of several pristine 02's that were bought for $1,800 in recent years.  Local guy had one on craigslist local awhile back.......wouldn't budge on price.  To me the "real sucker" is the person that pays a couple hundred dollars for a pile.............then puts $1,800 and hrs of work into it, and still has a lesser machine.  I've always come out better in the end paying a little more for a better machine.  I picked up a clean 02 XR100R a few years ago for $1,000...........another guy was right behind me in line, cash in hand if I didn't take it.  By the time I had it ready to go in top mechanical condition, I had $1,500 into it, and that's even with getting a deal on parts.  Awhile back I was offered $1,200 for it by someone that understood the condition it is in.......it's not for sale.  Couple years ago I gave $800 for a really nice unmolested 96 XR200R......................by the time it was ready to go I have around $1,500 into it.  New tires, tubes, grips, Twin Air element, front brake cable, carb kit, fork seal kits, etc., etc., etc..........all the normal stuff (no major repairs) to put it in top mechanical condition.  I wouldn't have too much trouble getting $1,200 out of it to someone wanting a really nice XR200R that needs nothing but ridden.  Both these bike were clean and needed no major parts, and still quite a few dollars were spent.  One wants to be careful what you buy and how much it needs put into it............may not be as good a deal as a more expensive one that needs much less! :thumbsup:

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al
  • Like 1

+1 But the problem is determining the real condition of the motor to avoid all of those expensive repairs.  So buyer beware.

Five years ago  I was looking for an XR200 and found one with a good price, however the young man had painted all of the plastic black and the compression release was missing, and it smoked; I passed. I did find nice 90 from the original owner who used the bike to ride with his adult sons, it showed trail use but otherwise was in good condition.  Motor is still running strong.

I got lucky with mine. $200 for a bike and a laundry basket of parts and put about $200 into it. It still needs a few things but overall it's been a good running bike and very fun to ride. I'm not willing to dump a bunch of money into a playbike. It works just fine for following my son and exploring cow trails. 

IMO it really depends on what condition you want your bike to be in and how you intend to use it. I putt around so slow and don't expect too much out of the little XR....but I'll be damned if that thing can do anything I ask of it....it's a little mountain goat.

And again....I thank you ALL for helping me to get it running. :cheers:

I'm having trouble moving my 2001 wr250f for $1500. It was a $6000 bike new, so quit your whining! Accept the first $1000 offered and move on.

I'm having trouble moving my 2001 wr250f for $1500. It was a $6000 bike new, so quit your whining! Accept the first $1000 offered and move on.

If you take the time to "read" the posts, prices are simply being discussed...........nobody selling "or" whining!       :bonk:

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I have been looking on CL religiously for the past year. So I'm qualified to say

$1500 would be fair if it is in mint condition. Because I've been seeing mint

condition 200 for anything under $2000 goes flying off CL. A mint condition 200

for $1500 will not last a week on CL.

I think people are reading TT and learning what a great trail bike the 200 is.

And Honda w'll never be make another one like it, ever. These bikes have a reputation

of bullet proof. \

Edited by Terminatr

Any thoughts on what two "brand new" 02 XR200R'S (never ridden) tucked away might bring now days..............?   (And........ "all" the parts to make them Powroll 218s.......... ;) )

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

Edited by chuck4788

im trying to sell a really nic condition 86 xr 200r with a complete new engine (except crank), new clutch & cable, new fork seals & bushing. I have all receipts for work done last yr  & a factory service manual & im asking $1600 obo. its listed in the classifieds with pics & is located in central ohio if anyone is looking for a nice ready to ride bike that's not all worn out & sacked out suspention.

I got one! $1200. Needs a 10 dollar part, and could use a rear tire sometime soon but not for a while. Came with a helmet. I'm so excited!