Whats it take?

I'm just curious, i'm not gonna sit here and blab about how i think i can make it, blah blah blah. i mean, it IS my dream and goal, but honestly i'm just curious, what you KNOW it takes to make it to that level.

I've heard people claim that it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars, and 100% parent, and kid, dedication. But then I've heard people say that if you don't start racing motocross and supercross at like 6-8 years old theres no way you'll make anything of yourself.

What do you guys think it'd take to make it to the pro ranks? Google didnt help me.

I'm just curious, i'm not gonna sit here and blab about how i think i can make it, blah blah blah. i mean, it IS my dream and goal, but honestly i'm just curious, what you KNOW it takes to make it to that level.

I've heard people claim that it takes hundreds of thousands of dollars, and 100% parent, and kid, dedication. But then I've heard people say that if you don't start racing motocross and supercross at like 6-8 years old theres no way you'll make anything of yourself.

What do you guys think it'd take to make it to the pro ranks? Google didnt help me.

How old are you and what classes are you running?

16 and 250B. I typically run top 5 if the track is like a national style and not chalked full of jumps or rythms. Top 15 if it has a Lot of rythms or SX style track. Still not super confident in the air, but only been riding mx for a year and a half.

Don't doubt yourself! McGrath started really late, but his raw skill on a bike made him great on a motorcycle and if you're racing 250b after a year and a half you should get hooked up with a trainer and see where it takes you

Learn how to practice then go do it every day. 

Don't just go kmock out laps, but learn to practice efficiently, practice with a purpose.  You're either going to learn to go fast or you won't. 

Sacrifice!!!!!

Try running 250c at an area qualifier next season and see where that goes.

And the magic number is 10,000hrs...

Sandbag like a mofo and grt invited to nationals. Thats where people get picked up by a team.

It's rare but people get picked up from the B class sometimes (Dungey is the prime example)

Remember the Moto episode when Dungey talked about when his grandmother passed away and that just made him snap and push harder. If you can dig down, dedicate yourself and be open to advice and criticism you can get far, possibly achieve the dream. Best advice from me is find somewhere you can ride damn near every day, and it wouldn't hurt to have a cash flow to support that as well, possibly a part time job that doesn't get in the way of riding too much. And from my personal note, I was probably a long shot from going pro, but I destroyed it be getting into a party crowd and getting caught up with that. You even see it at the pro level, just remember if you have doubt in yourself, you probably won't make it.

My two cents on that, but just have fun with it, and twist the throttle!

it depends what you mean by pro. There are pro riders who never qualify for a national or sx. There is a huge difference between a local pro and national caliber pro. If your goal is to race A / Expert, if you have the time/money/dedication it's definitely obtainable. If your trying to make it on TV, make a career of it, your looking at something that is exponentially more difficult. It's one of those things, if you have to ask........

Edited by Die_trying

Dude, its the easiest sport & only rich little fags can race at that level anyways.  Just go, you got this, mortgage your house, stomp your feet till dad gives in, tell mom to sell some ass to raise the funds or they clearly don't love you.I would march right into dealer of choice & demand to be on the race team with a full ride.  Lorettas will let anyone through those gates & on to that track so just show up & be ready to rail & win.  Also, call Pro Circuit & demand to speak to Mitch, best thing you can do.  Make friends with Tony Alessi, he isn't doing much right now.  

Dedication to training, riding, practicing and racing. Everything you do needs to be towards one goal, becoming a better motorcycle racer. I dont think most have any idea the amount of time put into a good program.  Put together a plan, set some goals and go to work, hard.

If you dedicate your life to it and it doesnt work out, at least you learned the meaning of dedication and you learned how to work. No matter how hard they try, some guys will never be fast enough, but if you go about it the right way, MX has a lot to offer if youre willing to learn and work hard, it has provided a good living for my family. 

The chances of you making it are slim at best, so BY NO MEANS DO YOU PICK RACING OVER EDUCATION.      

Edited by 2uptite

Dedication to training, riding, practicing and racing. Everything you do needs to be towards one goal, becoming a better motorcycle racer. I dont think most have any idea the amount of time put into a good program.  Put together a plan, set some goals and go to work, hard.

If you dedicate your life to it and it doesnt work out, at least you learned the meaning of dedication and you learned how to work. No matter how hard they try, some guys will never be fast enough, but if you go about it the right way, MX has a lot to offer if youre willing to learn and work hard, it has provided a good living for my family. 

The chances of you making it are slim at best, so BY NO MEANS DO YOU PICK RACING OVER EDUCATION.      

Don't listen to Uptite, he's just a frustrated sunglass salesman. Joel Robert won mutiple championships drinking beer and smoking between motos. How tough is that? Surely you can take up drinking and smoking.

I tried making it as a pro skier.   It takes a lot of work.   It's not only working out and skill, it's survival.   Some of the top guys drop out due to injuries.  I was hobbled by a bad knee.   I went to the national freestyle championships 3 times.   2 times as a competitor, once as a coach.   I was worn out and done by the time I was 28.

No matter how good you are, your career will be over by the time you are mid 30's.   Kevin Windham and a few others are exceptions in they raced for so long.   Your life goals should include "What do I do when my MX career is over?"   Your career could end in 20 years or tomorrow.  Education is key.

Don't listen to Uptite, he's just a frustrated sunglass salesman. Joel Robert won mutiple championships drinking beer and smoking between motos. How tough is that? Surely you can take up drinking and smoking.

1970 called, it wants that suggestion back.  I think Hannah put an end to the party hard training routine.   It might work in the Vintage MX circuit, but I don't think they pay much.

1970 called, it wants that suggestion back.  I think Hannah put an end to the party hard training routine.   It might work in the Vintage MX circuit, but I don't think they pay much.

Bwaahaahaa, oh dude, you kill me! LOL, I mean, hahahahaha! One of the best lines EVER! :lame:

Learn how to practice then go do it every day. 

Don't just go kmock out laps, but learn to practice efficiently, practice with a purpose.  You're either going to learn to go fast or you won't.

This is probably the best advice, perfect practice makes perfect. Not just practicing going around the track.

Working for Luxottica & acting like an insider on TT is not how you want to end up, so don't listen to Uptite.  Just go for it!   Start now, Mx Vs ATV alive is a decent trainer, but you really need MX Simulator.  Nachos are also the secret food, lots of HGH in them

Can you run at race pace for 40 min. When you can do that you can take a shot at it. Why do you think those guys go on 50 to 100 mile bike rides every day. Your body has to work at 110 present for 40 min or you can go and be a alsoran and try to make a few points. How do you do at arena cross? top 10 or better?