Foot Pegs Touching Down

I have been using my 2013 DRZ at the track more and more as it is so much fun. I am having an issues with the pegs touching down quite a bit.

I put on some Moose Racing pegs for better grip and they do work well but the touching downs is slowing me up.

I have been hanging my boot over the end of the peg so my boot slider touches down and not the edge of the peg. This helps a bit but does not resolve the issue.

What are you doing at the track to deal with the pegs touching down? Any tricks or products that will help?

I have been trying both riding styles out on the SM using the dirt bike method and the road race method. The road race method seems to work a little better for the peg touch down issue but is not as fun as the foot out dirt method.

I am sending my suspension out this winter to get the forks done and an Ohlins or JRI rear shock but if the pegs touching down is going to be an issue I may not do the suspension and just keep track daying my sport bike.

Thanks for the help

Is your sag adjusted correctly?...

If so , having you pegs touching is letting you know your near the limit of the bikes capability.....

I used to touch down frequently on my SM. a light touch or two is no big deal. serious grinding can be adverse to the bikes control... :ride:

Oh and to your health...... :cripple:  :)

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Yeah , peg grinding would make a good night time pic

I've seen a few bikes with UHMW (slippery nylon) strips bolted to the underside of their pegs.

The UHMW slides like snot and doesn't grip when the pegs hit the ground.

I've also seen some low-tech method of heating up the pegs and bolting a skateboard wheel to them.

The wheels melt into the pegs.

The DRC foot pegs look promising, going to give those a try.

Yes , I might grab a set for "The Real E".... :thumbsup:

I have the Mk 111 pivot PEGZ on my REAL E !!

Great product

i wrecked with the drc wide pegs from wheeling, on the street and it bent n twisted it backwards. it actually sticks out much further, 1 of my sliders didnt even touch down in a 30mph wreck..there cool but they didnt hold up at all like i thought they would

Yes , I might grab a set for "The Real E".... :thumbsup:

im goin to bed ill take a pic tomorrow..

im goin to bed ill take a pic tomorrow..

OK mate.... :thumbsup:

Put some rear sets on it :lol:

increase spring preload and drop the forks in the triples if needed...that will raise the ride height giving you more clearance.  Might also have to get a stiffer shock spring to keep it riding higher (the stock spring is way too soft for my weight...190 lbs.)

increase spring preload and drop the forks in the triples if needed...that will raise the ride height giving you more clearance.  Might also have to get a stiffer shock spring to keep it riding higher (the stock spring is way too soft for my weight...190 lbs.)

If stiffer springs are needed to allow for rider weight , fine, but don't get stiffer springs just for the sake of lifting the bike, as handling will suffer...

I had the same problem, recently switched to the DRC foot pegs, they are higher, don't stick out as far, and have a replaceable slider built in. Haven't been back to the track yet though since putting them, but it's got to help.

https://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/drc-super-motard-foot-pegs/515

This link says that those pegs are only $4.95. Am I missing something?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379478505.041706.jpg

This link says that those pegs are only $4.95. Am I missing something?{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379478505.041706.jpg

Didn't realize there was a drop down bar. It's $4.95 for the springs...

If stiffer springs are needed to allow for rider weight , fine, but don't get stiffer springs just for the sake of lifting the bike, as handling will suffer...

agreed...I just mentioned it because the most common cause of pegs touching  the track (besides crashing) is suspension that is set up too soft resulting in a ride hieght that is too low. 

I have the drc pegs on my drz. Crashed twice and never had bending issues on the track. My track bikes don't have Sliders. I tried to bolt on Sliders but they wear out too quick. I want some gruppi pegs for my ktm but can't find them in the states. I'm not sure how the pegs dragging is slowing you down. Depending on your tires you can go a lot further once your pegs touch. Pegs fold up for a reason. If you look back at ama pro riders they would grind nearly every turn until there was nothing left.

I have the drc pegs on my drz. Crashed twice and never had bending issues on the track. My track bikes don't have Sliders. I tried to bolt on Sliders but they wear out too quick. I want some gruppi pegs for my ktm but can't find them in the states. I'm not sure how the pegs dragging is slowing you down. Depending on your tires you can go a lot further once your pegs touch. Pegs fold up for a reason. If you look back at ama pro riders they would grind nearly every turn until there was nothing left.

I am coming from the sport bike world and when I get to the point of touching my rear sets down bad things are about to happen.

I figured it was the same with the DRZ.

I have been riding sport bikes on the track for so long I am having a hell of a time transitioning to the push down riding style of the DRZ.

I can do fine on the DRZ riding it like a sport bike but I get lot's of sh*t from the motard guys.

I may throw in the towel on riding the DRZ at the track and just use it for street use.

I am coming from the sport bike world and when I get to the point of touching my rear sets down bad things are about to happen.

I figured it was the same with the DRZ.

I have been riding sport bikes on the track for so long I am having a hell of a time transitioning to the push down riding style of the DRZ.

I can do fine on the DRZ riding it like a sport bike but I get lot's of sh*t from the motard guys.

I may throw in the towel on riding the DRZ at the track and just use it for street use.

Lots of guys ride knee down style.  The guy that just won the pro 450 class at our local track was kneed down.  he backs it in knee down:)  I am not comfortable on an SM knee down even though i can drag knee on an RR bike just fine.  its all in what you are comfortable with.  These bikes can achieve some steep lean angles, more than RR bikes.  if you are getting the bike that low while knee down then you have no room for your foot obviously.  Foot out style will be a lot safer.  Just make sure your kneed is bent and not out straight, keep the knee behind the bar.

RMZLean.png

Im tall and i get cramped on bikes so sometimes i stick my leg way out.

knee in

Moto01_25_zps37469cf3.jpg

knee outside the elbow.

legout.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

different turns, different styles. 

I find that guys who rode mx/dirt first have a much easier more natural time with the position.  very flat track.  RR guys usually stick with knee out.  The thing is that knee out makes a lot of sense for high speed stuff.  Slow speed 1st and 2nd gear turns you will get more traction and more control by staying on top of the bike. 

Do whatever is comfortable for you as long as you are having fun.  If you are not racing it really doesnt matter if you get every millisecond shaved off your lap times. 

Tell 'em to suck it! Nothing wrong with chicken winging it :)

356594_zps744c35ee.jpg