Alright another te250 question...

Just about to pull the trigger and have second thoughts...I ride with one guy who has a wr250r we do have to travel some to enjoy dirt in korea... ..sometimes over the course of a day,100 miles on pavement connecting trails . Is this going to kill the te early?

Just about to pull the trigger and have second thoughts...I ride with one guy who has a wr250r we do have to travel some to enjoy dirt in korea... ..sometimes over the course of a day,100 miles on pavement connecting trails . Is this going to kill the te early?

It's that "100 miles of pavement" that kills the TE for you. Due to the close ratio gearbox, you can gear it for the street, or for the pavement. Not both.

I have a TE310 geared for the dirt (14/48), so it's sane cruising speed is only about 45-50 on the street.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a DRZ400 or XR650L. Put some good DOT knobbies on it, set the sag and enjoy.

Edited by Aaron8

I plan on keeping the stock gearing for now...but even if I didn't, 50 is just fine for street speeds here.

I am more concerned with that street time killing the bike itself...

Thoughts? ??

I have owned and ridden a few bikes now. My Wr400 was great all purpose bike. TE250 better as mx or enduro and really light and fun but I dont like it on road.

DRZ400 would be better for long rides but a lot heavier.

The close ratio gearing on the TE-250......sucks! Geared to ride in the dirt your street speed will be 45-mph at an rpm range that is acceptable & easy on the bike. 

Everything else about the bike for a plated off road ride is great.

Look at a KTM 350 EXC-F for the perfect plated dirt bike.

Thanks. ...I think I have figured out a good mitigation strategy for this issue...come on bike!!!!!

Been using te250meo for mx,trail rides, commuting to work, exploring rides with a mate on Rmx250.Use various sprocket combo's. The ssurprising one is the standard gearing from the factory 13/40. As you do not achieve a greater top speed just a greater balance of wide variety of riding situation. If you got a te250 give it a go well worth it might surprise the x-lite versatility.