Sign in to follow this  

Rear brake on the handle bars.

Has anyone else tried this, rear brake where the clutch leaver usually goes. Like a mountain bike with both brakes on the handle bars. Rear pedal brake has been remove all together. Now running a Rekluse clutch. I should have set my YZ up like this years ago, so much easier to control the rear and better weight transfer ( toes on the foot pegs ) throughout the whole braking / cornering affair. Set up like this I would have to rate this the BEST enduro bike I've ever ridden, clean and fast.

I have the Rekluse LHRB on my YZ as well with no footbrake or clutch lever.  I committed, LOL.  My last 4 bikes have all been like this and I love it.  When I was riding KTM I would just buy a line to plumb the hydraulic clutch master to the rear brake.  Personally, I think the Brembo unit is more powerful and has a better feel than the Magura unit. 

• Like 1

How did you do the conversion? Is it a kit from Recluse?

After spending the last two years on a mountain bike, I would love to convert the YZ to a left-hand rear brake layout.

I run all my bikes like that.  Every time I go back to a normal setup, I regret it.  Cornering is SO much cleaner and faster.  List of benefits is long, especially if you don't use the clutch ALL the time.

How did you do the conversion? Is it a kit from Recluse?

After spending the last two years on a mountain bike, I would love to convert the YZ to a left-hand rear brake layout.

There's two ways you can do it.  Either buy the Rekluse kit (about $160 if I recall), or buy a KTM hydraulic clutch reservior (newer brake fluid type) and have a line made up.  I know a guy on KTMtalk that makes nice custom lines if you take a pic of the rear caliper and measure the length you need.  Most hydraulic line shops can make one for you also, just make sure they deal with stainless steel braided lines.  The standard brake line material is too flexible.

I actually run my mountain bike as LHRB as well (just switched the cables) so that it feels similar to my dirtbike.

I actually run my mountain bike as LHRB as well (just switched the cables) so that it feels similar to my dirtbike.

Exactly! Lots of dirt bikers swap the brakes around on their peddle bikes to match the right hand front brake on their dirt steeds.

Adding a LHRB to a dirt bike to match the peddle bike layout seems only natural.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup: