Sign in to follow this  

E model headlight with hi/lo beam?

I have an S model that I've been tinkering with over the years, with one of my goals being to lighten it up overall. I recently bought a nice E model headlight that I'm planning on installing in place of the heavy S model light and bracket - the E light doesnt have a high beam, not sure if there are any versions of the E that do... but I want to modify mine with a hi/lo beam so it can pass street inspection - not worried about a DOT stamp on the glass and I want to stick with the oe "E" model mask. Anyone familiar with a mod like this?

I have an S model that I've been tinkering with over the years, with one of my goals being to lighten it up overall. I recently bought a nice E model headlight that I'm planning on installing in place of the heavy S model light and bracket - the E light doesnt have a high beam, not sure if there are any versions of the E that do... but I want to modify mine with a hi/lo beam so it can pass street inspection - not worried about a DOT stamp on the glass and I want to stick with the oe "E" model mask. Anyone familiar with a mod like this?

Australian model E's have high and low beam......I always thought that E and S models use the same head light and brackets...

The US S model has a larger dimensioned headlight with a steel bracket that the forks slide thru. Pretty heavy vs the US E model which has two rubber starps and 1 fastener that screws into the base of the lower triple. Looks like the 01 and earlier US E uses a different type bulb than the 02 and later... I just bought a new headlight lens assy (02+ yr models) that takes the newer bulb, and has three positioning tabs on the bulb base instead of two on the older bulb. Hoping I can find a hi/lo bulb that will sit in the newer lens assy + plug into my S connector.

Here's the new assy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=360740455012

Edited by xrflogger

I don't know anyone who has had the E headlight that likes it if they ride any at all at night. My buddy just switched to the S headlight.

My "E" headlight does pretty well... I have ridden at night a few times and was expecting it to be awful, but was pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't that bad. I actually had no trouble at all seeing far enough ahead in the pitch black out on the 55mph, two-lane country roads.

I should have prefaced this by saying I bought a headlight bulb that has a hi/low beam and is an H3 style light, so it fits in the housing with zero modification. The light came from a vendor on eBay from the UK who markets these bulbs for an XR650. See the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR-H3-12v-35w-55w-bulb-twin-dual-filament-34908-SA0-811-/300963267937?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4612cf0561&vxp=mtr

The US S model has a larger dimensioned headlight with a steel bracket that the forks slide thru. Pretty heavy vs the US E model which has two rubber starps and 1 fastener that screws into the base of the lower triple. Looks like the 01 and earlier US E uses a different type bulb than the 02 and later... I just bought a new headlight lens assy (02+ yr models) that takes the newer bulb, and has three positioning tabs on the bulb base instead of two on the older bulb. Hoping I can find a hi/lo bulb that will sit in the newer lens assy + plug into my S connector.

Here's the new assy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=360740455012

That housing looks like it takes a H4 style bulb, which is what is in the "S" model lights. H4 bulbs are hi/low.

That housing looks like it takes a H4 style bulb, which is what is in the "S" model lights. H4 bulbs are hi/low.

Thats what I'm hoping for. If I can drop an H4 or comparable bulb in the newer lens (hoping its the glass type) I'm in business. I'll post up when the new lens assy arrives.

You could install a ktm lc-4 625/640 & exc '00-'04 headlight lens(or from a Yamaha wr250-400-426-450 till '05) which made from glass and it has a H4 bulb , it fits on a real E headlight shroud with some minor trim , i remember there was a thread from some TT'r 4-5 years ago with pics .

This something i will do someday on my drz sm , E headlight is lighter has the same shape like S/SM '03 till now but it's smaller !

Thanks Smias thats good to know. I'll see how the newer E lens works when it comes in. I may need to go your route if it doesn't.

Well I've made a little progress toward getting an E model headlight to work on an S model bike. Two things I've learned - the '02 and newer headlight lens is plastic, no good since the heat from a 55W or higher bulb would eventually melt the plastic. Find an '01 or earlier type lens, you can still buy them new. The '01 and earlier uses a H3 type bulb and you can buy a dual filament (hi/lo beam) bulb for it. They aren't easy to find but they're out there. I bought mine from this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR-H3-12v-35w-55w-bulb-twin-dual-filament-34908-SA0-811-/300986891298?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4614377c22&vxp=mtr

So now I just need to get busy and adapt the three wires on the H3 bulb to my H4 style plug on the S model. Shoudn't be to tricky - Looks like its gonna work... I'll post the final result when I finish.

Edited by xrflogger

I still have my "E" housing sitting on a shelf for lack of a glass lens and Hi-Lo. However in the meantime I did modify mySM housing to make it just about as lightas the "E" housing.

Removed the heavy mounts that fit around the forks and used the rubber holders from the "E" . For a while I just used plumbers tape. Weighed about the same.

For the internal adjusters in the "SM" I removed them and just  drilled the plastic to accept 2ea  3" screws so I could still adjust the lenses up or down.

Overall, the weight is just slightly more than the "E" and thats mostly from the glass lens.

A question I have is does the plastic housing really melt with a duel bulb. The "E" bulb is 55 w. The Duel as found on the "SM" is 55 low and 60 high. They seem pretty close in heat rating to me.

Tony

Edited by cal_tony
  • Like 1