Sign in to follow this  

2003 XR100 driving me crazy

Hi Guys,

I have inhereted a 2003 Honda XR100 that hasn't run in quite a few years so I thought I would get it running again and put it to good use. So I drained all of the bad gasoline out of the tank and the carburetor bowl first, then I checked the oil. I cleaned/checked the spark plug and put some new gas in it. I tried to start it and...nothing. So, I took out the carburetor and disassembled it, cleaned all of the crap out of it (which took about an hour...it was nasty!) I made sure that both the main jet and the pilot jet were cleaned and could fit a piece of mechanics wire through them. I put the carburetor back on the bike and tried to start it and it started. It would stay running as long as I would keep reving it and twist the throttle a little up from dead bottom, but if I tried to let it idle, it would die out. I noticed tthat both the idle screw and the air screw underneath the carb were unscrewed out a lot. So, I screwed in the idle screw a little until I hear the rev go up just a hair and I finally got it to idle with my hand off of the throttle. So, I put it away for the day. On day 2, I came out and it was extremely hard to start and when I finally could get it to start after many kicks, it would not idle and I couldn't keep it running. So I began messing with the idle screw and air screw. I tried setting them back to factory specs as a starting point and going from there, but at this point, I never could get it running again at idle and to be honest, I never could get it to start regularly and stay running even when I was massaging the throttle. So, what in the world have I done...and more importantly, what do I do next?

Edited by sonus4

Clean the carb again. More junk has likely gotten in the pilot jet or in the idle circuit.

Be sure to take the fuel screw out and flush all the little holes real well. 1 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw to start.

I would also replace the short section of fuel line and let the fuel flow thru the petcock to flush it well. The screen filter built into the top of the petcock works great but the fuel line gets rotten on the inside and continues to sluff off junk.

Spray some carb cleaner thru the vent hoses while your at it.

just replace the pilot jet.

+1 on this. Trying to clean the pilot is not worth it and usually doesn't work. Just give these guys http://www.jetsrus.com/  a call and order a replacement.

getting a new jet is guaranteed and is best. although i was able to clean mine out and it works great. you need to clean the fuel hole, and the holes in the side of the jet for the air. replace the plug if it has any sort of goo on it, set valve clearance, and make sure you have full compression and spark. now we can work on carb. make sure the little holes inside the carb body are clean. there are some tiny ones for the pilot jet and pilot screw. 

Edited by MCRIPPPer