Sign in to follow this  

Just bought 2013 KTM 500 XC-W

Well after many years of ridding other makes (2011 KX450F) off road. I finally crossed over to join all my buddies with KTM. My first impressions are absolutely great. The bike feels lighter, turns better, geared better, stops better and rides smoother than my other bike straight off showroom. The motor is incredible with power and smoothness that exceeds the KX450 easily with the added bonus of being quieter. My bike is a 2013 and it was discounted but I was told there is no difference from it and 2014 but I am seeing that is probably not correct. Just curious what the "real" differences are from 2013 to 2014 to see if I missed out on much. Also interested in what is best skid plate and handlebar setup, it is so smooth stock I almost hate to change anything so feedback from experience is welcomed. PS. My KX is for sell if interested.

Well after many years of ridding other makes (2011 KX450F) off road. I finally crossed over to join all my buddies with KTM. My first impressions are absolutely great. The bike feels lighter, turns better, geared better, stops better and rides smoother than my other bike straight off showroom. The motor is incredible with power and smoothness that exceeds the KX450 easily with the added bonus of being quieter. My bike is a 2013 and it was discounted but I was told there is no difference from it and 2014 but I am seeing that is probably not correct. Just curious what the "real" differences are from 2013 to 2014 to see if I missed out on much. Also interested in what is best skid plate and handlebar setup, it is so smooth stock I almost hate to change anything so feedback from experience is welcomed. PS. My KX is for sell if interested.

Good for you. Personally I have'nt ridden one KTM that outperforms my '12 KX450 with just a Rekluse 2.0 and 52T rear sprocket. My biggest complaint with the KTM's is the suspension.

• Like 1

Good for you. Personally I have'nt ridden one KTM that outperforms my '12 KX450 with just a Rekluse 2.0 and 52T rear sprocket. My biggest complaint with the KTM's is the suspension.

You might change your mind if you and I rode on a 60 mile trail loop, whoops I forgot, the KX can't go that far stock.

You might change your mind if you and I rode on a 60 mile trail loop, whoops I forgot, the KX can't go that far stock.

Nope, won't ever buy a KTM and IMS makes a nice long range tank.

Put your pole away dude, there's no fish here -

Nope, won't ever buy a KTM and IMS makes a nice long range tank. Put your pole away dude, there's no fish here -

Well I got a good ride on the 500 KTM today and all I can say is that the bike is clearly easier to ride Tight single track, the power is smoother and it has more flywheel, stalling was lots less and flameouts did not occur, throttle seems different like it may have a longer cam, suspension kept the tires tracking better in the worst areas, and the brakes are best I've ever had. My riding buddies said I was ridding great and they were hauling ass as well. I will not rule out that I might have ridden the kx450 as fast, but it clearly wouldn't have been as easy, any way good time had by all on a cool perfect day in NC. Nothing against Kawasaki (got one), Yamaha (got one), or Honda (got one), but if you like wood/trails the KTM is TOPS!!!

• Like 1

It's crazy how fast one can turn into a KTM-snob.

I'm sure you're KTM is really nice, but you're not impressing anyone here

with that attitude.

It's crazy how fast one can turn into a KTM-snob.

I'm sure you're KTM is really nice, but you're not impressing anyone here

with that attitude.

I've been dirt riding since I was 12 and now 45 yrs later, I still off road regularly and find it a pleasure and a joy, this weekend I rode my heavily modded honda xr650l on a dual sport event in the Shenandoah 500 and that was a lot of fun, but I never called anyone a snob because he liked his new bike, and on top of that I fully expect to keep my KX450.

• Like 1

I've been dirt riding since I was 12 and now 45 yrs later, I still off road regularly and find it a pleasure and a joy, this weekend I rode my heavily modded honda xr650l on a dual sport event in the Shenandoah 500 and that was a lot of fun, but I never called anyone a snob because he liked his new bike, and on top of that I fully expect to keep my KX450.

That's cool. I have quite a few buddies who jumped on the KTM bandwagon

and all of the sudden think they are noticably faster. One buddy just put a down

payment on a 500 EXC for $11,500!

I just think it's odd you have didn't go with something lightweight that may actually

be noticably better in the tight woods (i.e., 300XC, 250XC, 250XC-F, 350XC-F).

That's cool. I have quite a few buddies who jumped on the KTM bandwagon

and all of the sudden think they are noticably faster. One buddy just put a down

payment on a 500 EXC for $11,500!

I just think it's odd you have didn't go with something lightweight that may actually

be noticably better in the tight woods (i.e., 300XC, 250XC, 250XC-F, 350XC-F).

Gosh, I don't think I am any faster, just easier to ride a ktm in woods settings. And I like big bikes kx450, xr650l, but I do have a wr250f for tight and light occasions. Also, one reason I haven't got to ktm earlier is their high price, but my ktm 500 is a 2013 and it had a substantial discount that made it seem like a really good deal. I like that this post is now under ktm forum, thanks for fixing that. Back to bikes, a ktm 500 xcw is a lot of bike and I would not recommend to someone new to sport, but the fun meter is pegged out for experienced rider.

Yeah, stop posting about how a trail bike is better on the trails. Everyone knows motocross bikes are much faster!!

Just kidding. Congrats on the new bike!!!

Yeah, stop posting about how a trail bike is better on the trails. Everyone knows motocross bikes are much faster!!

Now there is an idea, straight up drag race on dirt between my ktm 500 and the kx 450, I suspect it would come down to which has the better tire and how long the drag strip is. Changing subjects I just added a stop light taillight switch and license tag plate holder. Both look good and work good. I already have EE bark busters and acerbis skid plate. May stop and give pocketbook a rest but I have the urge to add lithium battery.

i also have a 2013 500 xcw, congrats! it is an outstanding machine. let the haters hate.

i think the 2014's are using the 450sx frame. i saw a couple the other day and they looked much smaller and thinner. but i didnt have a 2013 to compare it too. it also felt smaller when i sat on it. otherwise i believe its just minor stuff that has changed. 

Now there is an idea, straight up drag race on dirt between my ktm 500 and the kx 450, I suspect it would come down to which has the better tire and how long the drag strip is. Changing subjects I just added a stop light taillight switch and license tag plate holder. Both look good and work good. I already have EE bark busters and acerbis skid plate. May stop and give pocketbook a rest but I have the urge to add lithium battery.

In theory a 450 should walk all over the 500. The 500s just don't rev out. That being said when the 450 is tapped out in 5th I'll snick my 500 into 6th and walk right on by....

i also have a 2013 500 xcw, congrats! it is an outstanding machine. let the haters hate.

i think the 2014's are using the 450sx frame. i saw a couple the other day and they looked much smaller and thinner. but i didnt have a 2013 to compare it too. it also felt smaller when i sat on it. otherwise i believe its just minor stuff that has changed.

Nothing really has changed between the 2013/2014 except the updated plastic and a 6lb weight saving. That being ssaid no one has confirmed this weight savings.....

new EFI and claimed 6 lbs weight savings is quite a lot, but if you can save 2 G on a 1 year older bike that is a smart choice for sure.  I am looking at buying this bike in spring but I am stuck on which model year I should get and I would also like to try the 450 xc-w.