Sign in to follow this  

Clutch cable seal on yz 125?

Hi guys, I've got a yz 125 2009 and I've been noticing that muck is getting into the casing that holds the stator/generator .... Behind the plastic cover. It can't be good for it! There's no seal on the clutch cable, where it sits in the engine casing and I'm guessing that's where it's coming from.

In the manual it says about greasing an o-ring where the cable sits but I don't appear to have one and can't find a part number for one. The cable just sits loosely in the hole.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks.

1379333698792.jpg

1379333717043.jpg

part of the clutch cable end not part of the case i had that same thing it leaks past the o-ring so i just rtv silicone it up now. kind of a pain in the ass to clean up but it works better also silicone the rubber seal for the ignition wire it will leak there as well.

Ah that's great, thanks for your advice. I've ordered some from Amazon to arrive tomorrow.

I thought there might be a rubber seal ring or something missing but sealant will do! We're coming into winter now so I'm worried about water getting in there. I'll let you know how I get on with the sealant. Cheers.

But then how do you lube the cable?  All the oil drains from lower end of cable inside the stator/generator cover. 

The sealant won't effect cable oiling it as it's on the outside of the cable tube. Oil will still run down the inside into the stator housing. Only need a few drops of 3 in 1 oil every now and then.

i have no o-ring on mine anymore it doesn't work anyways it's all sealed up with sealant now i think last time i pulled the cable for lubing once. this is oem cable and i think it weakens the oring once you remove it the one time. i just ended up cutting off the oring and went the sealant route make it works better in the end.

The sealant won't effect cable oiling it as it's on the outside of the cable tube. Oil will still run down the inside into the stator housing. Only need a few drops of 3 in 1 oil every now and then.

That's all that you lube it?  I pull the side cover every 4-5 race weekends and squirt brake cleaner down the cable and then re-lube. 

My clutch cable is brand new at the moment so that's all the oil I've had to use, but that sounds like a great idea ... Thanks!

Thanks that rtv sealant had done the trick! And I've sealed the stator cable with unibond black tape.

1380743118852.jpg