New girl in town! Questions about my mod choices!

Hey guys. I have been searching and reading the threads here nonstop to get an idea of what aftermarket parts are best/most used by the 150f crowd. Just bought a basically new '09 150f - my first dirt bike but not motorcycle.

Right now I have got to order new bars and new grips. I really just do light trail riding for now. Is a fat bar necessary? Or should I just go ahead and get one to begin with and avoid having to get one later... I want something a lot higher than the stock bar. Probably CR high or the Desert/vintage renthal.

I also want to pick up some new levers - have been eyeing the ASV shortys. Is it worth it to buy the ones with on the fly adjusting? I know some require a wrench to adjust.

Also need to pick up the power up kit as well. I am impressed by the 150's get up and go but I can tell there's a lot in there still caged up! I am guessing the crfs only kit is the way to go?

Down the road I want to work on the suspension but this is what I plan to do asap.

Feedback and suggestions welcome!!

PS my only gripe about this bike is the seat being hard as a rock. Maybe I'm just not used to a dirt bike seat yet!

Pro taper SE bars in CR high work great. Stock 7/8" diameter but top quality strong durable bars. Save the money one levers and get some Moose or Cycra hand guards. These will save the levers and also help from bending your bars when you crash.

Thanks for the response! At least now I have narrowed down the bars I need :)

I know you say save on levers but I really would like some that I can adjust to my smaller hands and that (to me) are more comfortable. I know there are other levers than ASV, they are just what I'm most familiar with. I'm very open to suggestions!

The mod bug bites me hard and doesn't let go but I have to remind myself not to spend too much money on this bike as I'd like to upgrade at some point.

I recently purchased some MSR levers (front brake & clutch) that are significantly smaller than the stockers. The good part is I only payed around 20 bucks for them. They have a nice rubber piece on each lever that helps with grip.  I got them at a my Honda shop so I don't have a link, but they look like this.

http://www.bikebandit.com/msr-grip-lever-set?WT.mc_id=googlemerchantfeed&utm_source=feed&utm_medium=merchantfeed&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=CKDw4ZzO0LkCFSho7Aod6HoA8g

**edit: Thinking about it, I can't say for sure that my previous levers were stock.. but others have stated they're are shorter in the reviews at the link above. I have no experience with the durability of these levers, btw. I just like them because they are smaller than my previous levers.

Maybe your local dealer has them in stock and you can see them for yourself.

Edited by jms130

A major improvement after jetting it properly maybe a Twin Air air filter, getting the riding ergonomics the way you want, would be to get rid of the stock tires.

Dunlop MX 51's are hard to beat

A major improvement after jetting it properly maybe a Twin Air air filter, getting the riding ergonomics the way you want, would be to get rid of the stock tires.

Dunlop MX 51's are hard to beat

I guess I got lucky then! The bike has brand new mx51s on it!

My next mod will def be getting it jetted properly but the problem is knowing what to buy. I live in NC at sea level basically but summers are hot and humid and winters can be fairly chilly (averaging anywhere from 35-40 up to 50s daily).

Thankfully I've got a mechanic right across the street from me who's willing to help teach me how to do these upgrades on my own.

Well you R lucky then. Save your self a couple hundred right there :-)

Females aren't supposed to work on bikes ha power up kit def gives a little more but increases noise level. safety gear should be high on your list. Assuming you're trail riding mx boots knee elbow chest if you plan on track riding knee braces would be better than knee pads

The seat well.. get used to it

Females aren't supposed to work on bikes ha power up kit def gives a little more but increases noise level. safety gear should be high on your list. Assuming you're trail riding mx boots knee elbow chest if you plan on track riding knee braces would be better than knee pads

The seat well.. get used to it

Haha I kind of agree with you. I'd rather not have to do my own work but its either that or drive an hour to the Honda dealer and have it done. Thankfully I do have the mechanic across the street though so he will be doing most of my work. There are things I would like to understand and know how to do - simple stuff like how a carb works, being able to clean it myself, stuff like that. Things that come second nature to most of the folks here!!:D

As for safety gear I have most of it already but i do need a few dirt bike specific items. My main love is an ATV but I have always been intrigued by dirt bikes. Now I understand why they are so much fun. I am super thankful that forums like this exist because the information you guys provide is priceless.

Next step: find the 150f mods that don't require new parts that I can do while I'm waiting on my new upgrades to arrive.