Sign in to follow this  

Design my bike! Custom design!

I have a 1996 yz250

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379347707.996204.jpg

It doesn't look bad but you look at it in person the previous owner painted the plastics blue, rims and frame white, and parts of the engine white and blue!!! Good idea but bad at painting. What would this bike look good with? From color of plastics to the radiator hose colors to the spark plug wire color. I'm digging a black plastics and purple extras. What's your opinion?

Purple? Whatever floats your boat. If I had a Yamaha it would have to be yellow. The blue thing never caught one with me. I'd consider white and red also. Here are some pics I stole off the web. Apparently they are or wereTT members. Beautiful bikes.

IMG_1686.jpg

retroyz250_2.jpg

• Like 2

I loved my 96... Do something OEM with some small upgrades. You can build a pretty sweet bike pretty cheap.

Posted Image

Where did you he you plastics from? If you get a kit or pice by pice. You said the word cheep and from what I seen the plastics I'm finding a up there. Thank you

Purple? Whatever floats your boat. If I had a Yamaha it would have to be yellow. The blue thing never caught one with me. I'd consider white and red also. Here are some pics I stole off the web. Apparently they are or wereTT members. Beautiful bikes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Black and purple was a thought. But I do love the Yamaha yellow. Old school with a new touch. Likening the black on yellow! Thanks man

Where did you he you plastics from? If you get a kit or pice by pice. You said the word cheep and from what I seen the plastics I'm finding a up there. Thank you

Stock plastic from UFO, the only plastics that were upgraded were the 2010+ YZF front fender and front # plate. Call UFO up and they can hook you up with those pieces as a kit. $120 total for the plastics. That is cheap to upgrade the entire look of your bike. The rest is just PC.

The motor and suspension is what sucked up all my money. 

Stock plastic from UFO, the only plastics that were upgraded were the 2010+ YZF front fender and front # plate. Call UFO up and they can hook you up with those pieces as a kit. $120 total for the plastics. That is cheap to upgrade the entire look of your bike. The rest is just PC.

The motor and suspension is what sucked up all my money.

By any chance would you know if they would make a custom color? From what I found there is only white, blue, and black. And I would have to mix and match brands to make a complete set. I already fell into the engine, suspension, and performance accessory hole. Just looking to make the bike look good now haha

I have no idea... I doubt it, but if they would it is going to cost you a pretty penny. What color are you looking for?

Edited by BDubb106

I have no idea... I doubt it, but if they would it is going to cost you a pretty penny.

Well ill start polishing em'! Thanks for you help, your bike looks great. Also, what size main, pilot jets and needle position do you have in? I'm having trouble with it not idling and its running lean on fuel.

I have no idea... I doubt it, but if they would it is going to cost you a pretty penny. What color are you looking for?

It was just a thought, a color off hand i like would be Yamaha's old yellow

I ran a 40 pilot, JD red needle in 3rd clip pos., and 175 main. A/s at 2.25 turns out.

Thank you, I have a 48 pilot and 175S main and the needle in the 3rd position, the previous owner attempted to make a race bike from what I can see and failed.

FYI: here is my 96 rebuild thread. Most of the pics are gone because my PB account was full so I had to delete them to make room for new pics. But there is a TON of useful info in there if you want your 96 to run as good as possible. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/930109-96-250-rebuild-part-2-pic-heavy/page-24?hl=%2Byz+%2B250+%2Brebuild+%2Bpart#entry9974130

Also here are a few more pics from different angles for inspiration...

afweag.jpg

557403_10151173820212559_2119334243_n.jpg

538911_10151173843382559_439232069_n.jpg

FYI: here is my 96 rebuild thread. Most of the pics are gone because my PB account was full so I had to delete them to make room for new pics. But there is a TON of useful info in there if you want your 96 to run as good as possible.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/930109-96-250-rebuild-part-2-pic-heavy/page-24?hl=%2Byz+%2B250+%2Brebuild+%2Bpart#entry9974130

Also here are a few more pics from different angles for inspiration...

afweag.jpg

557403_10151173820212559_2119334243_n.jpg

538911_10151173843382559_439232069_n.jpg

I cleaned the carb and assembled it. I rase the idle (on the plunger/choke) and the idle doesn't change. If I let the throttle go at idle, it stalls immediately. Any suggestions? You have the same bike as me and if like to ask questions while I have the chance. Sorry for squeezing every bit out of ya

No problem... where is the air screw set? My guess is that the idle circuit is too rich. Possibly the needle as well. How are your reeds?

Edited by BDubb106

No problem... where is the air screw set? My guess is that the idle circuit is too rich. Possibly the needle as well. How are your reeds?

I set it at stock settings and then opened it all the way up. It didn't help at all, the bike still stalled. I looked at the reeds and one side had a gap. I flipped them both around un till I could order boyson power reeds. The rubber that seats agents the plastic reeds are a bit chewed up. So they need replaced. Could that affect the idle? It has a 48 in it now, the Yamaha shop suggested I get a 46 for my pilot jet. What should I try in your opinion? If you let go of the gas it Immediately wants to stall.

I brought down the clip on the needle because low and mid range was not there. I had the throttle wide open and randomly it would kick in and scream. When I changed the position on the needle down one it helped alot and the mid and high ranges have power and sound good. But it still stalls at idle and it feels like a 250 should have more power than this. This is my first 250 from a 125