CRF 450 R Normal Running Temperature

I just bought a Trail Tech Vapor for trail riding on my 2006 CRF 450R. I set the temp sensor in the radiator inlet hose (uncooled water going into the radiator to be cooled). Can anyone tell me what the normal operating temp I should see for that line is? Also what temp should I look for that may be getting too hot?

Thanks, John

Edited by Mech Engr

Not tryin to talk trash but it I was you I would have saved the money you spent on that and bought some oversized radiators off of eBay along with some better cooling coolant.

Not tryin to talk trash but it I was you I would have saved the money you spent on that and bought some oversized radiators off of eBay along with some better cooling coolant.

Am I to understand by your comment that these bikes have some cooling issues?

Yeah but those oversized rads arent going to give you speed, hour meter, RPM (not that that really matters), coolant temp (at least to monitor it when your going really slow, even an oversized rad will boil!)  

But to answer the OPs question, they tend to run between 180 and an absolute high of 230-240.

Only if you're going "slow", usually in the woods, slow enough that there's an insufficient amount of airflow through the rads to cool the motor...

Yeah but those oversized rads arent going to give you speed, hour meter, RPM (not that that really matters), coolant temp (at least to monitor it when your going really slow, even an oversized rad will boil!)

But to answer the OPs question, they tend to run between 180 and an absolute high of 230-240.

The point of me saying that I because as he stated he's going to use his bike for trail riding and obviously is concerned with it overheating. And I wouldn't really say these bikes have cooling issues, it's just you

Have a R which is a racing model designed for going fast and having almost constant air flowing through your radiators. Where the X is designed for trail riding. There's numerous threads oh here about them. The R will overheat and spit fluid out of your overflow valve on a hot day while just sitting still a few minutes waiting for a bud to catch up. But yeah I'd get some bigger radiators, better coolant and maybe silicone hoses with the integrated Y section if I was to trail ride with that bike. Anyways hope that helps. Goodluck!

The point of me saying that I because as he stated he's going to use his bike for trail riding and obviously is concerned with it overheating. And I wouldn't really say these bikes have cooling issues, it's just you

Have a R which is a racing model designed for going fast and having almost constant air flowing through your radiators. Where the X is designed for trail riding. There's numerous threads oh here about them. The R will overheat and spit fluid out of your overflow valve on a hot day while just sitting still a few minutes waiting for a bud to catch up. But yeah I'd get some bigger radiators, better coolant and maybe silicone hoses with the integrated Y section if I was to trail ride with that bike. Anyways hope that helps. Goodluck!

The R will tend to boil pretty easily especially on a hot day with little flow (obviously) I did install the larger rads, it does help a bit as they hold more fluid and have more area to bleed off heat. 

Depending on where he rides he may not even be going slow enough to boil, but the vapor computer is a good way to know if you even need it without having to boil it first.  I would recommend having both, but just my .02.

I use Red Toyota Coolant and deionized water at about a 50/50 ratio, works VERY well, but the coolant is not cheap.  I run stock hoses and oversized rads seems to be working well, however I dont recommend idling while waiting for the stragglers. Even the oversized rads boil if you do that very long.

Thanks for all your input! I usually use a good quality coolant with Red Line Water Wetter and distilled water for my sleds. Iv'e got a 180 HP 900 cc water cooled 2-stroke sled that likes to overheat even in the deep snow. I might consider the larger rads but I wanna see what temps she runs first. I ride in the high sierras and northern Nevada high desert. Some fast some slow...we'll see.

John

Edited by Mech Engr

So I went up to Georgetown this weekend and it got pretty hot on a couple of the "blue" trails with tight narrow paths leading through trees and a lot of rocks. I hit 240 at one point and stopped and let it cool for abot 20 minutes. I see two types of increased capacity radiators on eBay - the Fluidyne at about $400 and the Chinese knockoffs at about $100. Has anyone bought a set of the Chinese knockoffs and if so are you happy with them? Some look ok and others the welds don't look all that great.

John

So I went up to Georgetown this weekend and it got pretty hot on a couple of the "blue" trails with tight narrow paths leading through trees and a lot of rocks. I hit 240 at one point and stopped and let it cool for abot 20 minutes. I see two types of increased capacity radiators on eBay - the Fluidyne at about $400 and the Chinese knockoffs at about $100. Has anyone bought a set of the Chinese knockoffs and if so are you happy with them? Some look ok and others the welds don't look all that great.

John

It won't let me upload the pics. I purchased the "knock offs" off of eBay for like 68 bucks a few months ago after smashing one of mine. They are official! I'd say the factory ones are 3/4th the thickness. And these look sooo much better. I just chill and wait up for everybody with it running and Havnt had it boil over yet. Very satisfied

I wish it would let me upload the pics. The factory ones look like straight trash compares to these.

Edited by Diggla117

I wish it would let me upload the pics. The factory ones look like straight trash compares to these.

Do you remember the brand or username you bought from? It sounds like you're as particular as I am about the looks and I'd rather buy from the same person as the one you did.

John

Do you remember the brand or username you bought from? It sounds like you're as particular as I am about the looks and I'd rather buy from the same person as the one you did.

John

Motopartswholesale is the sellers name and they were $58.90. Unbelievable price for the product you get. And like I said they look 10x better than the factory ones and are way bigger.

Motopartswholesale is the sellers name and they were $58.90. Unbelievable price for the product you get. And like I said they look 10x better than the factory ones and are way bigger.

They still sell them but they don't say anything about them being increased capacity. I called them and they're clueless! I looked at the OEM ones and they look like they're pretty thin, maybe single row? The ones sold on eBay look like 2 row and a lot thicker. I'm sure they only sell one type at motopartswholesale...you said yours are increased capacity (thicker)?

John

Edited by Mech Engr

They still sell them but they don't say anything about them being increased capacity. I called them and they're clueless! I looked at the OEM ones and they look like they're pretty thin, maybe single row? The ones sold on eBay look like 2 row and a lot thicker. I'm sure they only sell one type at motopartswholesale...you said yours are increased capacity (thicker)?

John

I was just looking for replacement and I noticed somewhere on the description page it mentioned they were larger but didn't really advertise it and then when I got them It was obvious. And yes there prob a third thicker and longer. The cap side is prob almost a inch longer then the other side. And they look like some real high dollar radiators. All shiny n shi. I still can't get pictures to load... I even took pictures just for this. Their impressive. Esp for the money.

The exact ones I bought the item number is 151120599511 it says "stores grater capacity than the stock radiators"

Edited by Diggla117

The exact ones I bought the item number is 151120599511 it says "stores grater capacity than the stock radiators"

Yea, I finally caught that in the listing. I ordered a set. You can't go wrong...if you don't like them they'll even pay for the shipping back. We'll see.

John

Well, I have had two long rides on the Chinese hi-capacity radiators and they work great!! No more overheating on the technical tree/single track trails and they don't leak at all. I also got the radiator overflow from Motion Pro so I can recover the bit of coolant it pukes out after each ride. I cant' beleive the set of radiators were only $57 shipped to my door an work this well!

Your cheap price is just the result of cheap cheap labor

The welder was paid 2 peanuts and a 1/2 a glass of water to do the job .

Your cheap price is just the result of cheap cheap labor

The welder was paid 2 peanuts and a 1/2 a glass of water to do the job .

And what a fine job he did