CRF 80 XR 80 Suspension Rear Shock Fix

Suspension - rear shock fix for those of you that have kids on CRF/XR 80s might find the following valuable.

If you have a kid on a stock CRF80, you probably noticed that the rear shock is miserably stiff.  Also, if you are like me, the jump from CRF50/70 to the 80 is pretty large in seat height for some kids.  If you have looked for solutions online, you've probably been frustrated to find almost no options.  The options that do exist are mostly to increase the spring rates for adults using 80s as pit bikes.  But for those of you with kids riding the CRF80 as a trail bike (as intended by design), the rear suspension is very stiff.

I have a cheap solution that lowers the bike 1.5 inches, increases travel 50% (4.3 to 6.6 inches), and softens the spring rate more appropriate for rider weights 60-110 pounds.

Find a used Suzuki DS80 shock (ebay or other).  The DS80 shock is shorter by 1/2 inch - which on linkage will lower the seat height 1.5".  The spring is adjustable (Honda is not) and much better rated for weight of small riders. The shock stroke is 50% longer, resulting in longer travel.  Importantly, there is still tons of room between fender and tire at top of stroke as most of this space if for looks - not travel clearance on stock bike.

Fitting the DS 80 shock is easy. The DS80 shock fits perfectly in top mount, same size bolt.  The bottom of the DS80 shock has a larger bolt that Honda. To correct this, I went to Honda and ordered a new lower linkage bushing for the larger bolts that attached linkage to swingarm.  The two lower linkage bushing use 10mm bolt, where as the stock lower shock mount bushing is 8mm.  Simply replace the lower shock mount bushing with 10mm bushing from Honda and buy a new 10mm bolt/nut to fit.

Once the rear is complete, I recommend lowering the fork tubes as much as possible (up to handlebar contact) to balance the handling dynamics.

Softer ride, more travel, lower seat to touch ground better....happier youth riders!

Total cost about $35

• Like 2

Suspension - rear shock fix for those of you that have kids on CRF/XR 80s might find the following valuable.

If you have a kid on a stock CRF80, you probably noticed that the rear shock is miserably stiff.  Also, if you are like me, the jump from CRF50/70 to the 80 is pretty large in seat height for some kids.  If you have looked for solutions online, you've probably been frustrated to find almost no options.  The options that do exist are mostly to increase the spring rates for adults using 80s as pit bikes.  But for those of you with kids riding the CRF80 as a trail bike (as intended by design), the rear suspension is very stiff.

I have a cheap solution that lowers the bike 1.5 inches, increases travel 50% (4.3 to 6.6 inches), and softens the spring rate more appropriate for rider weights 60-110 pounds.

Find a used Suzuki DS80 shock (ebay or other).  The DS80 shock is shorter by 1/2 inch - which on linkage will lower the seat height 1.5".  The spring is adjustable (Honda is not) and much better rated for weight of small riders. The shock stroke is 50% longer, resulting in longer travel.  Importantly, there is still tons of room between fender and tire at top of stroke as most of this space if for looks - not travel clearance on stock bike.

Fitting the DS 80 shock is easy. The DS80 shock fits perfectly in top mount, same size bolt.  The bottom of the DS80 shock has a larger bolt that Honda. To correct this, I went to Honda and ordered a new lower linkage bushing for the larger bolts that attached linkage to swingarm.  The two lower linkage bushing use 10mm bolt, where as the stock lower shock mount bushing is 8mm.  Simply replace the lower shock mount bushing with 10mm bushing from Honda and buy a new 10mm bolt/nut to fit.

Once the rear is complete, I recommend lowering the fork tubes as much as possible (up to handlebar contact) to balance the handling dynamics.

Softer ride, more travel, lower seat to touch ground better....happier youth riders!

Total cost about $35

What is the Honda part number for the 10mm bushings and 10mm nut and bolt?

Bradcrf80 how hard was it to remove the stock bushing and use it in the DS80 shock?

I'm glad more have chimed in on this mod.  It's made me finally get a shock coming in the mail.  I think it will help my son quite a bit as he is short and light.  Can't wait to get it fitted and have him try it out.

Thanks to the original op, I have just done the same to my kids crf100. It was too big and came with bbr springs fitted all round with stock ones spare. Fitted the std fronts back in but put a ds80 rear shock in the back, cheaper and easier than trying to swap the super stiff spring. Very low now and they can touch the floor. Will be dead easy to put std shock back on when needed. Bit soft for me though so I suppose I will have to let them have a go now .

Top job, many thanks for making this possible cheaply

I don't know that it matters.  Just get one like I pictured.  My son is finally growing so I put the stock shock back in today.  It'll be nice to have the ground clearance back.  But the shock is so stiff for a lightweight I'm thinking about making an extension block for the DS shock on the bottom mount so it will sit up where it is now, but still compress with his light weight.

Here he was a couple weeks ago.

Macs%20Ride%2006.05.16%20035_zpsnfth0h3d

Yokomo, did you ever make a spacer block for the DS shock? I did this mod for my son for the plush suspension. It is awesome and he loves it! However he is tall and I would like to get the seat height back. So if you have an idea on spacer, would you share?

No.  I went back to stock once he started growing.  I asked him if he liked it or not and it didn't really matter one way or the other.  We still have it and he rides it some, but I upgraded to a KX85 and set the suspension as soft/low as it will go.  He is not a racer, but so far he really likes it and has been doing well on it.

On 9/16/2013 at 10:51 AM, WAKTMRider said:

Total cost about $35

Hello

I know this is a very old thread, but do you know the part number for the lower linkage bushing and bolt? I went to the dealership and they couldn't figure it out. 

Thanks

I just used the stock Honda bolt.  The hole on the shock is larger than the Honda bolt so I just dug around in my parts and found a plastic sleeve that fit almost perfect.  I thought I'd see how long it lasted.  It lasted the whole time it was lowered and never broke!