Sign in to follow this  

tire opinions

looking for a new rear tire. i have had the pirelli mt-21 and i liked how long it lasted, not the greatest traction but i learned to work with it. i was looking at the pirelli mt-43 for next summer, i hear that they last a while too. if anyone else has any advice on tires please let me know. i have a 2000 drz400e

I put on new Maxxis IT-Desert's this season & so far so good. I'm riding roots, ruts, & rocks...spinning most of the time in my terrain. No knobb chunks missing & minimal wear. These tires had great reviews for my local terrain. You can find lots of YTube vids on a variety of tires....and tons of opinions as to which are best. I wanted a fuller knobb pattern for hitting wet tree roots. Wide patterns hook the longer roots & can put you down before you know what happened. Lots of riders in my area ride trials tires for this reason....I'm not a fan of real soft tires & running low air pressure. These Maxxis also have a super thick sidewall that eliminates any possible tube pinching in the rocks.....gave me hell mounting them. Lots of choices....lots of opinions....do your research. Good luck shopping.

Moto Z, made in Australia, pure rubber compound, DOT as well.........I got 130-90-18 for the rear and they hook up really well. The fronts were terrible, I switched out to MX51 and they are the best I've used.

Motoz006_zpsac23903f.jpg

• Like 1

Moto Z, made in Australia, pure rubber compound, DOT as well.........I got 130-90-18 for the rear and they hook up really well. The fronts were terrible, I switched out to MX51 and they are the best I've used.

Posted Image

I wouldn't run a motoZ if I had to. They are absolutely terrible.

I wouldn't run a motoZ if I had to. They are absolutely terrible.

I've ridden on them now for over a dozen rides in the dirt.......they have gotten better every time. I will get the MX51 for the rear when they wear out, but honestly can't rag on them. 

I've ridden on them now for over a dozen rides in the dirt.......they have gotten better every time. I will get the MX51 for the rear when they wear out, but honestly can't rag on them.

I had one given to me when I bought my 06 cr250. Ran it for one ride before I took it off and gave it to a friend if mine who also ran it for one ride then threw it out. They don't catch traction worth a shit in rocky areas or if it's a little wet. In dry dirt they work but hell they barely even work there!

I like the feed back keep it coming there are so many tires i would like to narrow it down a little

I had one given to me when I bought my 06 cr250. Ran it for one ride before I took it off and gave it to a friend if mine who also ran it for one ride then threw it out. They don't catch traction worth a shit in rocky areas or if it's a little wet. In dry dirt they work but hell they barely even work there!

are you talking about the mx51 ? here, on mixed terrain, wet or dry, it was a fantastic tire. grabbed on wet roots, mud, rocks, creek beds, everything. felt like velcro instead of terrain ! 

are you talking about the mx51 ? here, on mixed terrain, wet or dry, it was a fantastic tire. grabbed on wet roots, mud, rocks, creek beds, everything. felt like velcro instead of terrain !

nope wasn't talking bout the MX51! Talking about motoZ

nope wasn't talking bout the MX51! Talking about motoZ

oh ok. sorry, i misunderstood. while i don't expect anyone to join our little local forum just to contribute to the tire thread, i hope more folks can benefit from our experiences so far. :)

• Like 1

My bike is also street legal so what would be a good dual sport tire

I liked the Shinko 244's but I am running the Kenda 270's front/rear so far I love them.

I liked the Shinko 244's but I am running the Kenda 270's front/rear so far I love them.

Doesn't the 244 have a better side profile than the 270?

Doesn't the 244 have a better side profile than the 270?

yessss. and it's quieter, and easier to spoon on, and cheaper, and and and then

You are looking for a mx tire that is good on the street? good luck --- let us know what you hear?  A ton a humming that is. 

Why not try the MotoZ --- i have not, but they look tough - like it's ready for the mx track.

• Like 1