Sign in to follow this  

08' crank install tips please

Ok folks we LOVE our Zuk's we have

and in anticipation of a case spliting episode in our near future I would like some advice

bike has a lot of hours ( no problems so far) however

1. Is the crank a slip in like the red bikes or is it the ole freeze the crank to install

2.   also any advice on the main bearing install as well

thanks again

the crank will just slip rite in and the best way to to put in the main bearings is by using a hammer and a brass flat ended punch 

Ok folks we LOVE our Zuk's we have

and in anticipation of a case spliting episode in our near future I would like some advice

bike has a lot of hours ( no problems so far) however

1. Is the crank a slip in like the red bikes or is it the ole freeze the crank to install

2.   also any advice on the main bearing install as well

thanks again

RMZ's are the easiest 4 stroke motors to work on IMO. other than the head the motors are pretty much like to strokes. Yes the crank is just a slip in but it doesnt hurt to use a combination of heat and cold. when installing your main bearing throw them in the freezer for about 15minutes. 5 minutes before you take them out, put a heat gun to the cases. this way the new bearing will practically drop right in with little hammering needed. also make sure that the bearings are installed the right way (theres a bit of material machined out of the outer race on one side, this is a recession for the retaining tabs. once you have the main bearing in grease up your right main bearing seal and instal it with a rubber or soft mallet. just as before throw your crank assembly into the freezer for 15-20min. 5 minutes before you take it out put heat on the right case. this should allow the crank to slip right in. put the center gasket over the right case (you can use small dabs of assembly grease to hold it in position). apply heat to the left case bearing before fitting and make sure the internals are complete (including case dowels). also make sure that the oil pump pin on the right side case is lined up with the "u" couple in the left case so that they come together without problems. if the cases become hard to mate this is usually the problem. after the cases are together hand tight all hardware and use a good quality torque wrench in a criss cross pattern. i would recommend going about 10% less on the specified torque value to avoid stripping any of the bolt since the internal threads most likely have oil in them and the torque values are given for dry fitting. thats abouit it for the crank, be sure to go over the tranny as well (you might as well change anything that will cause you to split the cases prematurely) and the bike should give you many more hours of fun... good luck 

• Like 1

i should also add that it isnt allways necessary to freeze the cranks. ive done a few without cooling the crank and they all went fine. its just that using heat and cooling in tandem really makes assembly smooth and assures that no force is necessary to get the job done.

Thanks funki for the detailed post and all the great info

I might PM yah for some further advice

This forum needs some "sticky" topics for more good info on these bikes like the Yzf forums

Bikes are great IMHO and need better info for everyone to help each other out because there are so many good and experienced guys that do have Zuks

Thanks again

Thanks funki for the detailed post and all the great info

I might PM yah for some further advice

This forum needs some "sticky" topics for more good info on these bikes like the Yzf forums

Bikes are great IMHO and need better info for everyone to help each other out because there are so many good and experienced guys that do have Zuks

Thanks again

yes, the zuk community is unfortunately small, but the motors are very simple to work on. if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask as there is some good knowledge in this forum

yes, the zuk community is unfortunately small, but the motors are very simple to work on. if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask as there is some good knowledge in this forum

thanks again funki

they need to make you a mod for this forum and make some sticky's to help out guys

I have an 06 rmz 250, ive just replaced every bearing in the engine. My crank bearings dont have a recces cut in them, or safety tabs. I wouldnt reccomend anyone drive the bearings in with a hammer, takes a lot of pounding, and if you ever try the freeze bearing heat case with a torch method, youl wonder why you ever tried. The best way is to heat cases in the oven, then hit the area the bearing goes with a torch. The bearing just slides into position, you hear a ting when it seats inplace. If your only doing crank bearings you probably wont want to remove everything from case to put in oven, so then it just takes longer heating with a torch. To start heat up all round the area where the bearing goes, building up heat, then move your torch in closer and focus more on the actual hole the bearing goes in. Dont forget to heat the case on both sides and the bearing will just slide in. If you havent done it before, it will take longer heating with a torch than you would expect, plus the alloys thick where crank bearings go. Remember to remove all the rubber seals before you get the torch out :D

You dont need a fly wheel puller, but theyre cheap and make the job easier so worth buying. You will also need a clutch holder, also very cheap. You dont need case splitters or crank puller tools.

On top of the tool kit i had, i think the only parts i had to buy to split cases were a flywheel puller and a clutch holder.

For the clutch you can c clamp or vise grip the plates together. Then wrench the nut. Clutch tools cheap but not necessary. Flywheel puller is just a big bolt. Maybe you have something thatll work. To split cases just use a rubber mallet and a small block of wood. Just tap your way around the cases and itll split. Spray gasket remover in the seams itll soften it up and come apart easier. Take your time.

For the clutch you can c clamp or vise grip the plates together. Then wrench the nut. Clutch tools cheap but not necessary. Flywheel puller is just a big bolt. Maybe you have something thatll work. To split cases just use a rubber mallet and a small block of wood. Just tap your way around the cases and itll split. Spray gasket remover in the seams itll soften it up and come apart easier. Take your time.

Thats what I was hoping too

thanks you guys