Adult 150f riders - absolute essential mods

I truly apologize if this topic has been gone over ad nauseum here, but I found more info about the 230s than the 150s.  I am just wondering what the absolute essential mods are for the 150f when it comes to adult riders.  

So far it seems I need a lighter rear sprocket, power up kit, bars and grips.  Exhaust would be nice, but not necessary for me at the moment.  I'll also pick up a better air filter.  I know some will say suspension upgrades are necessary too; I hope to do that soon enough.

I'd like to hear from the veteran 150f riders, the ones who have done many many upgrades to their 150 playbikes and can offer which ones are the essential ones to get the most fun out of my lil 150.  Especially wondering about the mods that each rider does to each dirt bike no matter the size/brand/etc.

I'm a female rider, 5'8", but I won't divulge my weight here.  I'm no bean pole though, I'm an athlete and always have been. In hindsight, I should have waited for a 230f to come along but nevertheless I'll enjoy the 150!  I'm new to dirt bikes, the 150 being my first, but I can already see this is going to be a lifelong love affair (after only riding for 2 days).

Thank you guys/gals in advance.  I can assure you any feedback is much much appreciated!!

Rider :

Vet, fast C on 250/450,

6’ and 195lbs (ok, up to 205lbs….  it fluctuates)

I ride MX tracks (on the 150F, it’s usually on tamed down mx tracks or the “kids” tracks)

Bikes:

2005 Stock CRF150F (sold)

Engine will pull me around but nothing great.

Fun? Yep… but needs more…hp.

2004 CRF150F with Big Bore (175) (sold)

Engine mods: BBR module, BBR pipe, BBR Cam, air box snorkel removed. 26mm carb

Review:

Good low end but nothing up top. On a really tight track, it gets out of corners quick. It doesn’t rev out, so on fast open tracks with long straights, always short shifting

I did take it though tight wooded area and made my own trial through the trees. Was good, as it had low end grunt for the slow pace and for “popping” over logs.

2006 Modded CRF150F (sold)

Engine mods: ported head, decked head for increased compression, air box snorkel removed, BBR Pipe

Review: Pulls well out of corners. If engine is already apart, porting the head might be the best bang for the buck (from the mods I have done). It will pull corners in 3rd, where I need 2nd on my 08 (#1). This was tested on a somewhat tight track. Recent testing on a fast track… it hauls.. good up top and down low (almost as good as #2)

2008 Modded CRF150F (#1)

Engine mods: Crower cam, PC T4 pipe, power up jetting with stock carb, BBR module, air box snorkel removed

Review: pulls good from low to top. I ride this bike hard and it never complains. The power is good everywhere.

I had everything but the cam and after its installation, there was not much difference. Was the cam worth it…. not compared to the power up jetting which was installed. The jetting was the biggest increase in power. I did have a BBR pipe on it but the PC T4 seemed to provide a smoother and more increased power delivery throughout the rpm range.

2008 Modded CRF150F (#2)

Engine mods: cam, (1/2lb lighter) crank, high compression piston, pipes (PC T4, Big Gun), 28mm mikuni with custom intake manifold and a K&N pod filter, lighter flywheel

Review: The engine hauls… pulls out of corners like the big bore (175) but keeps revving and pulling through mid and top end. Most of the power is mid to top so if starting to lug in a corner, slip the clutch to up the rpm and it gets going ….quick (it has good bottom end, just that there is more on top)

I have experimented a bit, tried with the stock carb with power up jetting kit but the new carb seems better overall. Also the PC T4 pipe seemed to make it… slower. The big Gun definitely allows it to breath and open up (I think the Big Gun is loud, so put in the quiet insert…. there are two inserts available but I opted for the less restrictive one. I have the fully quiet insert but have not tried it yet)

Note: initially, I did the cam, crank, piston and used the PC T4 pipe. This was comparable to 08 (#1)

After adding big gun pipe and carb, it definitely made a difference.

The modded 150 has the improvements over the #1CRF150, the same as the #1CRF150 has over a stock bike…. very noticeable (those who put in the power up jetting know what I mean). I did back to back comparisons and kept thinking the #1 had something wrong with it as it felt so slow…. that’s how much better #2 is.

The last change was the lighter flywheel. This made a huge difference for the overall setup. Revs quicker, pulls harder and was the final piece to bring it all together.

(waiting for ported head to try on this bike)

So if I had to do it again?

In order of what I would do:

Airbox snorkel, PC T4 pipe and Power up jetting

Then

Porting of head (by someone experienced)

Then if more is needed, go all out:

Big Gun exhaust

Carb (28mm)

High compression piston

Cam

Lighter flywheel

Lighter crank

Laps on the #2 bike before lighter flywheel (to give you an idea of the tracks I ride)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVLsGxLFnA

I have almost stopped riding my 450 due to the fun factor of riding my 150F’s.

(gearing is stock with a non o-ring chain)

Edited by ddertdog

What year is your 150f

Recommended mods will be based on upto 05 or 06 and later ?

I also ride a 150F because of the “fun factor.” (male, 54, vintage B / modern C rider) The mods needed? Better suspension, and uncork it. But mine has about $1K of mods into it above suspension work. Not necessary, I did it because at the time I had more money than brains. These little bikes leave a smile on my face every time I climb off it. Usually, on a track day when I line up in staging I get a few strange looks when I pull up next to guys on 250/450 bikes. But I don’t care, I’m having fun. Then I climb on my 250R and the fun factor carries over to it. Makes for an enjoyable day.

I truly apologize if this topic has been gone over ad nauseum here, but I found more info about the 230s than the 150s.  I am just wondering what the absolute essential mods are for the 150f when it comes to adult riders.  

So far it seems I need a lighter rear sprocket, power up kit, bars and grips.  Exhaust would be nice, but not necessary for me at the moment.  I'll also pick up a better air filter.  I know some will say suspension upgrades are necessary too; I hope to do that soon enough.

I'd like to hear from the veteran 150f riders, the ones who have done many many upgrades to their 150 playbikes and can offer which ones are the essential ones to get the most fun out of my lil 150.  Especially wondering about the mods that each rider does to each dirt bike no matter the size/brand/etc.

I'm a female rider, 5'8", but I won't divulge my weight here.  I'm no bean pole though, I'm an athlete and always have been. In hindsight, I should have waited for a 230f to come along but nevertheless I'll enjoy the 150!  I'm new to dirt bikes, the 150 being my first, but I can already see this is going to be a lifelong love affair (after only riding for 2 days).

Thank you guys/gals in advance.  I can assure you any feedback is much much appreciated!!

First, I'd like to welcome you to the wonderful world of the CRF150's.  I should probably say "world of CRF150/230's", but since I'm a big fan of the 150, I'll leave it and take my bashing from my fellow thumpertalk folks. :)

To answer your question, we could be here for days.  There are so many mods you can do to that bike, it's endless . . . and sort of expensive.  haha.  As you read, you'll notice there are many of us that don't understand the value of the dollar.  

As for mods, take a look at the link in my signature.  I started this blog to help folks with their trials and errors of the mods.  I'm not a great mechanic so I shared some of my mistakes. I have a lot of disposable income to waste on my hobby bike, the 150.  Take a look as I'm sure I've covered 99%, if not more, of all the things you could possibly thing about doing to your bike.

And to end, I shouldn't tease the 230 folks.  My 150 actually has a 230 engine now so, there you go.  Personally, I prefer the smaller 19' & 16" wheels of the 150.  Since you are a beginner, that 150 is perfect.  

Tone

P.S.  If you need to race out to the store to do a mod, I would recommend Maxxis I.T. tires.  Everyone forgets about tires, but a new good tire is key!!  That's the best mod any bike can have.

P.P.S.  ddertdog, I have to print out your reply.  I have to read that over lunch because work is calling.  You got a lot going on there.  I watched some of your video and you're moving pretty good.  

I have to admit, I watched your GoPro footage and though I don't have a GoPro, I still thought "How did he get such smooth footage."  You might have to share your video secrets.

Anyway, I can't wait to read your post.  It looks like you might have put more into your 150 than me . . . (pause) . . . and that's just plan MAD!  But I should clarify, I've loving it.  haha.  

ddertdog,

So I read your post on the train home and I have to say, I received much joy from it.  Why?  Because what I did with my 150 was fairly close to what you did.  The main difference was I stayed with the 2003-2005 versions, which were kickstart 150's.  Basically the same bike, but for those that didn't know, that's one of the big differences.

Currently, my 150 has a 230 top end (stock).  I got a stock piston because I wanted to feel the difference for when I put in a high comp piston.  The only problem is that I didn't realize how little time I'd be riding in the future (I'm out with shoulder surgery. baseball injury).  Anyway, with that said, the fastest 150 I've had was my 170cc set up from Frank at Engine's Only.  

Hi comp. piston

Engine's Only pipe

ported

28mm carb

It had more, but those were the main components.  That engine would pull to the moon!  Well, let me clarify.  For a crf150, it would pull to the moon.  :)

Now I have the 230 crank and stock piston (Thank you, CoeShow).  I'll be fun to see what happens when I put a high compression piston in there.

hey toneconsultant,

not sure how the vid got so smooth... I think I selected the "stabilize" function when creating the video (from within Movie Maker)....

My #1 just crapped out on me.... thinking big bore but didn't like how the 175 wouldn't rev out. Might consider a high rev ceramic bearing build.....might....

hey toneconsultant,

not sure how the vid got so smooth... I think I selected the "stabilize" function when creating the video (from within Movie Maker)....

My #1 just crapped out on me.... thinking big bore but didn't like how the 175 wouldn't rev out. Might consider a high rev ceramic bearing build.....might....

O.K., you got me.  I've never tried a ceramic bearing.  

As for the video, it looks good.  I only asked because my hobby is video editing.  

Back to the CRF's, keep the mods coming!!!