Sign in to follow this  

2012 RMZ450 build from stock to full on race bike.

Bought this 2012 RMZ 450 leftover about 2 months ago. Love the bike so far. Wanted to do a build thread on the bike but wanted to wait until I had most of the parts and the funds to continue building the bike. 

I will be including pics and a review of every part I add to the bike. It will not  be an extremely fast build but I will continue adding parts until the bike is 100% set up for my liking. This will all be completed by the time race season starts back up.

Here is the starting canvas. 0 hours on the bike ATM. Started out by completely stripping down the bike and greasing every bearing and seal, then proceeded to go over every nut and bolt with some blue loc-tite

1012361_10151728126502559_209701384_n1_z

Wanted to ride the bike in stock form before I started adding mods and I must say that this turned out to be one of the best bikes I have ever ridden and I had not even started modding it at that point.

Looking for suggestions and critiques along the way. Wanna hear suggestions on mods that will help, or add on parts that will improve the bike. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

Started out with simple mods.... 

First on the list was an hour meter before the bike was ever started. Obviously it gave no performance gains but will allow me to keep track of time on the bike from day one, and also account for how much time is on the bike when mods and maintenance is done.

DSCN0501_zps98e34431.jpg

• Like 1

Purchased some engine plugs to get rid of the cheap stock parts that need a screwdriver to remove. Plus the face that they look really good!

DSCN0505_zpsae12accb.jpg

• Like 1

Read on TT that a worthwhile mod was to get rid of the stock filter cage and grab a RM cage to get rid of the screen. Decided to get a No-Toil super flo kit. I was skeptical but the thing really worked. Bike rev's a bit quicker and further than stock. Didn't realize that the flimsy screen in the stock cage made that big of a difference.

DSCN0498_zps04c75e8e.jpg

Edited by BDubb106

Then of course added a full Yosh RS-4 exhaust system. I could not believe how heavy and restrictive the stock unit was. 3lbs difference between the stock muffler and the Yosh muffler alone. The bike rev's much further and faster with the Yosh. It really let the bike breath and was worth every penny.

Yoshexhaust_zps4a759c76.jpg

Yoshinstalled_zpsc6402dde.jpg 

• Like 2

Changed out fork and shock springs but need a softer fork spring. Installed .51 springs and think I am going to give .50 springs a shot. The front end could use a little more feel. 

Here is how the bike sits at the moment. Graphics, PIM2, levers and springs will be here shortly. 

DSCN0510_zps9300dce5.jpg

DSCN0509_zps7a73290d.jpg

DSCN0508_zpsf3c72bba.jpg

DSCN0507_zps471f52a4.jpg

DSCN0506_zpscc078fa6.jpg

• Like 8

You have my attention,I'm sure zmez will be knocking on he door soon.Good look'in bike BD and cool stand too !!!

• Like 1

Nice build .  The Hot cams really work good on this bike .   The stock chain block is like hot butter and will wear out fast   TM design  make a good replacement . The PIM 2 will wake her up   .

• Like 1

You have my attention,I'm sure zmez will be knocking on he door soon.Good look'in bike BD and cool stand too !!!

knock knock  :D

great lookin bike and i love the m2 stand too,i want one.i'd love to see the bike with yellow # plates and black/yellow motoseat cover,black anodized frame/subframe/swingarm,black talon carbon hub's with either black or gold rim's for starter's maybe?  :smirk:

did you have the suspension revalved? or just fit the stiffer spring's?

also wondering if you got the spongey rear brake sorted out too.

lookin forward to it

mark.

• Like 2

The stand is awesome! Def one of the best on the market! Light but sturdy! Just a bit pricey for plastic IMO.

I got the brake sorted. Took everything completely apart and put it back together and flushed it for myself. Brake works great now.

I'm not gonna break the bank on looks just yet. Gonna get the motor built and the suspension dialed then I will add bling parts as I go.

As far as suspension, I did have a revalve but things weren't working. I am in the process of changing things around for the first time on my own. I got some really good looking shim stacks from another discussion here on TT and I want to learn to do some suspension work on my own. I have it pretty darn close with springs and current valving but I think it can still get better. I do however have some softer fork springs on the way so I have more control over oil height.

Gonna give these stacks a try.

Base
30X0.10 x10
29x0.10x2
28x0.15
26x0.15
24x0.15
22x0.15
20x0.15
18x0.25

Mid
0.20 float
20x0.10 x5
18x0.10
17x0.10
16x0.10
15x0.10
14x0.10 
Spacer
9.5x0.20
10x0.20 x2

Reb
20x0.10 x3
19x0.10
12x0.10
18x0.10
16x0.10
15x0.10
14x0.10
13x0.10
12x0.10
11x0.10
10x0.20

Shock has stock valving... it works really good with just the spring install.

The seat cover will be coming with the graphics.

Edited by BDubb106

What? No powder coated frame? Haha jk it looks nice!

Nah... I thought about doing something like that but I like the Factory look better. Clean and simple. My graphics will be along the same lines as the Yosh graphics design but slight differences with my own sponsors instead of the JS replica's that everyone has. If I ever sell the bike I want to be able to put it back in stock trim.

You should put an oring on one fork leg to ck for bottoming/fork travel. And get the susp dialed first so you can fully use the hp you already have. What class and what series do you ride? Can you truthfully use more hp? Realism might save you(or dad) a lot of money.

• Like 2

You should put an oring on one fork leg to ck for bottoming/fork travel. And get the susp dialed first so you can fully use the hp you already have. What class and what series do you ride? Can you truthfully use more hp? Realism might save you(or dad) a lot of money.

I'll bite....

I like how you jump the gun and insinuate that dad pays for everything... quite comical. I'm 26, I work 3 jobs as a firefighter/ paramedic, paid cash for my bike and have not used my credit card to pay for anything I have put on the bike. The only thing I pay on right now is the house that I own. I have already mentioned that I am working on suspension as we speak. I have already had a respring and revalve but I am not totally happy with it. Notice those shim stacks posted above? I am already in the process of getting the suspension sorted. 

Also its not about getting more power out of the bike. It's about getting it where I want it. I'm nothing more than a mid pack B rider. Nothing more, nothing less. Only ride on the local scene and have no desire to do anything more. I have a family to take care of and if it didn't fit the budget I wouldn't be doing it. Doesn't mean that I can't have the bike that I want. 

Thanks for the advice though... I guess :rolleyes: One negative Nancy in every thread on TT. Just so happened that you had to be the one today.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 18