Stormy Tahuya ride

Washington

Was a crazy day out there yesterday, off and on rain with some thunder and lightning towards the end. Here's a clip from the gopro (I'm not really feeling the bar mount, gonna go with the helmet mount next time)

Edit: uploaded an updated better version with less obtrusive music

Edited by PoopSock

Hmmm...I don't care for quad trails much. My last Tahuya run, resulted in a head-on...damaging my bike. Try a different bar location. I saw a vid from a GoPro, mounted on a guy's boot a while back. Just a thought.

The hbar mount seems to do OK.  I would try the other side away from the brake cable jumping in the picture. 

I fear to see how much my bars weave back and forth if I was to mount mine on the hbars. :D

Hmmm...I don't care for quad trails much. My last Tahuya run, resulted in a head-on...damaging my bike. Try a different bar location. I saw a vid from a GoPro, mounted on a guy's boot a while back. Just a thought.

Yeah the guy I was riding with isn't a fan of the single track, although I might be able to convince him next time... GF's stepdad, he usually rides an XR200 and this time he borrowed her KX100, he was all smiles! Thing is a little rocket compared to the big heavy drum brake XR. Mounting on the boot sounds rad, might have to give that a shot.

How bad did your bike get wrecked?

Rhino: Couldn't get it to fit on the other side, have to try something else. Yes the handlebar waggling is dizzying isn't it?

Yeah the guy I was riding with isn't a fan of the single track, although I might be able to convince him next time...

How bad did your bike get wrecked?

The head-on was actually a "glad noone was hurt" moment. We needed to hurry back to to Elfendahl. I was the lead rider...Keeping ahead, but trying not to overdo it. We met in a trough(really nowhere for either of us to go). I took a direct hit on the driver's side, cracking the outer cover & bending the shift shaft. Was never so glad to move like a cat...I pulled my left leg over, as I threw myself into the bank. That's after I'd broken a toe, early in the day...Dang brush gremlins.

The head-on was actually a "glad noone was hurt" moment. We needed to hurry back to to Elfendahl. I was the lead rider...Keeping ahead, but trying not to overdo it. We met in a trough(really nowhere for either of us to go). I took a direct hit on the driver's side, cracking the outer cover & bending the shift shaft. Was never so glad to move like a cat...I pulled my left leg over, as I threw myself into the bank. That's after I'd broken a toe, early in the day...Dang brush gremlins.

I too had a nasty run-in, with a quad rider.  We were linking ST trails on Tahuya River trail and this dude came flying around a blind corner and T-boned me pretty hard.  My body was lucky, no contact from the quad.  The impact bent my front brake rotor, twisted my triples, and dented my pipe pretty bad. 

I was poking along as I had pondered the exact scenario about a 1/2 mile before impact.  I was almost able to avoid him but he was CRUISING...head down, looking at his front tires.

I was pissed and a bit in shock, but the kid that hit me was clearly scared.  I spoke a few choice words to he and his riding buddies about the speed with which they carry through those banked corners and the need for discretion...but I used less words and more expletives, for effect of course :)  He and I learned a hard lesson that day, but I am glad no one was hurt.

Ride on brothers!

I too had a nasty run-in, with a quad rider. We were linking ST trails on Tahuya River trail and this dude came flying around a blind corner and T-boned me pretty hard. My body was lucky, no contact from the quad. The impact bent my front brake rotor, twisted my triples, and dented my pipe pretty bad.

I was poking along as I had pondered the exact scenario about a 1/2 mile before impact. I was almost able to avoid him but he was CRUISING...head down, looking at his front tires.

I was pissed and a bit in shock, but the kid that hit me was clearly scared. I spoke a few choice words to he and his riding buddies about the speed with which they carry through those banked corners and the need for discretion...but I used less words and more expletives, for effect of course :) He and I learned a hard lesson that day, but I am glad no one was hurt.

Ride on brothers!

Your new bike? Either way...OUCH! Luckily in my case...we were both using a bit of common sense, slowing well before the blind curve. It just wasn't enough. I gotta rebuild one of my Gassers...winter racing coming soon, to an ORV park near you:-) Edited by bowhunter007

Yeah it was with my KTM, it happened the weekend of Washougal this year.  I had a friend in town for the race and for riding, from Iowa.  I wanted to show him a couple of places we ride and hit up Tahuya the Friday before the race.  Shitty part was I had the collision within the first two hours of being there, nearly ruined our day, rode it back to camp, straightened the triples and continued on, with sketchy front brake function.  I was able to score a new front rotor from Munn Racing at the National, so we went to Walker the Sunday after the race and had a blast.

Funniest part, my buddy, who hadn't ridden in a few years, says why didn't we just go to Walker first?  I gave him a nasty look ;)

Race250R just remember, "No good deed goes unpunished" You did the good deed of taking your buddy to a noob friendly place and ya get run over and nothing but a load of crap from your buddy, life just ain't fair.

We ride soon eh comrade?

PoopSock did you ever figure out your surging / popping issue?

Edited by Rider 41

Race250R just remember, "No good deed goes unpunished" You did the good deed of taking your buddy to a noob friendly place and ya get run over and nothing but a load of crap from your buddy, life just ain't fair.

We ride soon eh comrade?

Definitely, we will ride soon. 

We ride soon eh comrade?

Yes I did! Turned out to be the left side crank seal, there's a good story behind it, but it's finally back together and running. Missing a few magnets in my flywheel so I want to replace that sometime over the winter, but at least I can ride now :)

Gonna update that thread sometime this week and sing the whole saga of it.

What's your guys' favorite single track in Tahuya, and for that matter Western WA?