Riding new te home in break in period.

I'm planning on buying my 13' te 449 Saturday and have lost my planned trailer to get the bike home. Trip is 150 miles from dealer to home. I can avoid highway so staying under 50 to 60 is possible. My question is how bad is this idea for the engine? I can stop multiple times to take breaks.. Is this risking engine issues? First oil change is at 300 miles right?

I've been following this great community for weeks while scoping out bikes. Thanks for any help from you all!

I have been told by at least 3 people who were very knowledgeable about the Huskys that it should be ridden fairly hard the first 100-200 miles to seat the rings properly

Should be fine. Just want to go through the gears as much as you can. Shift up and down through the whole range.

After all the reading I've done on hard break in vs soft I believe the hard method seems like a better method within reason, I will probably stop halfway and change the oil but the heat cycling technique was a bit vague...

Any help there?

Heat cycling as I understand it, is just that. Get it hot, let it cool, get it hot, let it cool, etc....

I was told you treat break-in a little different in a bike due to the motor AND trans being integrated and lubricated like twins. Nothing more or less than that.

Well i have my new bike and made it half the way home and at the hotel now! Its a whole new world then the sportsbike world I'm used to racing and riding. I kept having the feeling that I should turn off the street and ride through some fields and into the forest by the roads.

You should have!

Well made it home after three brutal hours on the bike. Best weather I've ridden in which was blessing.

I know this is just me coming from road racing sportbikes but I was really impressed with power. I was told by dealer that they did power up and as I did my oil change I checked and found that it wasn't installed. As angry as I am with them I can't wait to get the plug and see more power!

1379898711854.jpg

Well made it home after three brutal hours on the bike. Best weather I've ridden in which was blessing.

I know this is just me coming from road racing sportbikes but I was really impressed with power. I was told by dealer that they did power up and as I did my oil change I checked and found that it wasn't installed. As angry as I am with them I can't wait to get the plug and see more power!

glad you rode sensibly for both you AND your new bikes sake,

perfectly doable journey,

shame about the dealer not doing the power-up as requested..,

how was the "killer saddle"?,

charlie

Seat was a nightmare. Don't know who at husqvarna thought that was a good idea. I'm tall and skinny so the seat feel like a 2x4 wedged in my butt. Definitely the first purchase improvement I'm making is new seat. I tried putting all kinds of stuff in my pants to cushion but just looked funny haha.

So excited for this new adventure!

Seat was a nightmare. Don't know who at husqvarna thought that was a good idea. I'm tall and skinny so the seat feel like a 2x4 wedged in my butt. Definitely the first purchase improvement I'm making is new seat. I tried putting all kinds of stuff in my pants to cushion but just looked funny haha.

I picked up the Seat Concepts with red stitching and it has been great.  I ordered the whole seat pan and all so I can swap depending on the event I am riding.

Edited by reveille

So excited for this new adventure!

I also came from a road riding back ground. At first I was very disappointed with the Husky TE 449. It’s not a very good street bike. But once a starting riding a lot of dirt I learned to love the Husky. It just shines off road. All accept the seat, that things made of rock.

The plug in that sets it to race mode is great at the track, but I think you will find it of little use off road. For one thing Husky got more than enough power for off road use unless you’re a pro level rider. Second it really reduces the range.  I ride in the Sierras and even in rough conditions I can get around 100 miles. With the race plug you will get about half of that.

I'm coming to agree and understand what you mean. Its fun for zipping around some city blocks but now that I've found some spots to jump off the road and into some dirt areas around me its been awesome! The plug just seems to allow it to ride better when I put it in. I was having horrible idle issues and starting troubles that are gone afterward.