Sign in to follow this  

Chrome powdercoat

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to get a pipe chrome powdercoated? Where would i get this from, would it look nearly like its chrome plated?

Thanks!

Yup, but price dependant. I assumed there might be chrome powdercoat, and i assumed that would e cheaper, but if noduzing isnt all that expensive i prefer to go with that

If its the pipe the powdercoat is not going to hold with the heat...I would look into ceramic coat, a lot of hot rod guys use them on headers and exhaust. It looks really nice when it's fresh but tends to dull if it gets really hot.

no such thing as chrom powder coat. powder coat sticks just fine to pipes. they make high heat powder coat for headers.

i paid close to 180 bucks for a set of harley pipes to get them ceramic coated. and yes it dulls. it also keeps the heat in. making your engine run hotter and the pipe its self gets hotter.

to get a pipe nickle plated, with all the prep work, would be close to the same price probebly.

leave your stock, cr85 pipe black. making it shinny wont make you faster.

• Like 2

ALL the above answers are wrong!!! There is a chrome powdercoat. It is not the same as actual chrome. It's closer to a polished aluminum.

• Like 1

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to get a pipe chrome powdercoated? Where would i get this from, would it look nearly like its chrome plated?

Thanks!

If you want the black to look new, you can try to use that rustolium high temp spray paint. It works and stays on fine, but make sure u prep the pipe or it wont adhere well. Also I think they have different colors to!

Much more benefit in getting the pipe Ceramic coated rather than powder coated or even nickel plated and looks like Chrome. The Ceramic will draw heat from the bore.

I get my RC car and boat pipes done in the US for around $35.00.

This pipe has been Ceramic coated.

Before.

project5T051.jpg

After.

project5T069.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling

Much more benefit in getting the pipe Ceramic coated rather than powder coated or even nickel plated and looks like Chrome. The Ceramic will draw heat from the bore.

I get my RC car and boat pipes done in the US for around $35.00.

This pipe has been Ceramic coated.

Before.

project5T051.jpg

After.

project5T069.jpg

Where do you get this done? Do you send it out to somewhere? That looks beautiful, really want to go with that!

I'm in Oz. I just get who ever I buy my pipes from to get it done. Over here most places that do it are called "HPC" High Performance Coating.

If you don't have any luck finding somewhere then let me know and I'll ask one of my pipe suppliers where he gets it done :thumbsup: .

Why not Nickle plate it?

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Why not Nickle plate it?

IMO, Nickel looks the best, I get a lot of my parts Nickel plated but the Ceramic will have more benefit and should be cheaper as well.

As I mentioned, the ceramic will also draw heat from the bore and a cooler running 2T is a more powerful and efficient 2T    :cool: .

If ceramic was really all that, don't you think the factories would have been doing it in the 2 stroke glory days? Whats with all the blingy stuff on dirt bikes. Good God, they are made to be used. Save the money, buy gas and ride more.

• Like 1

If ceramic was really all that, don't you think the factories would have been doing it in the 2 stroke glory days? Whats with all the blingy stuff on dirt bikes. Good God, they are made to be used. Save the money, buy gas and ride more.

My Pro-Circuit pipe for my RMX 250 was ceramic coated from the factory :p . It maybe that Ceramic coating Isn't as economically efficient when dealing with larger production numbers, Dunno.

The RMX pipes were RM pipes that were modified so when they had to get a single pipe recoated they did choose Ceramic Instead of the usual Nickel plating.

It is an advantage, same as Ceramic bearings are as they don't transfer heat :thumbsup: . Ceramic coating Isn't better because I say it is. It's simply a fact. Research it if you wish, you can only learn something at worst if you do.

Why not Nickle plate it?

Judging by the fact you liked SMarquez's post I'll have to assume my reply to you went straight over your head  :rolleyes:  . Subtle but I'll call you out on it anyway :thumbsup:

I'll risk wasting another 10 minutes out of my already way too short life and try again, just for $hits and giggles if for no other reason. I'll even make it easier for you this time. "Why not Nickel plate it"  Again and just for starters. And as I've already mentioned. Ceramic coating is cheaper. So my question to you is. Why would you get it Nickel plated if Ceramic is cheaper and more beneficial?

I get the dome on my VHM heads done, the top of the Piston with Teflon on the sides (Same as a Wossner Piston), Exhaust ports etc, etc, etc. All the Top Aussie V8 super Car teams get their engines done also or at least did with last years car

I'm actually slightly offended. You think I make this stuff up or something :lol: . Might pay for you to do some research also. Here's something to help get you started. A cool engine is a more powerful engine, especially 2T engines. Engines that run high temps don't last long either but I'm sure you know that, right   ;) .

Are you really going to feel the power increase? I'm sure ceramic coating has it's place. I think the process evolved through F1 racing. Very high strung motors for sustained high RPM.  On a dirt bike that could have it's pipe dented and smashed it seems like overkill. I have a shiny whatever PC pipe on my CR250 but I know if it gets bent enough and I send it out to be repaired it's going to look repaired. Whatever I'll call it pimp camo. So what is the cost to ceramic coat? Again the best in our world passed on it.