Sign in to follow this  

C&J Honda for Sale

My friend has a one owner C&J Honda with CR wheels, long travel bator forks, seat, yz style plastic tank, Preston petty fenders, pipe and motor. I know how rare these jewels are and since I can't afford it I would love to see a good guy get it.

Sorry I only have one picture of it.

message me and I will give you his number.

1379383051861.jpg

Can't afford it?

Rare jewel?

How much is this frankenbike "supposed" to be worth?   ;)

Edited by MindBlower
  • Like 1

It is rare as it is a strait port frame, not a side port frame as most of the C&J frames you see from this era were.

The motor has around 40 hours on it since a new head, barrel, piston etc- were installed. $2,500

Sorry but C&J made a lot of the Centerport frames since the Centerport heads started with the '76 model year and C&J made these frames up into the early '80s.  There are a lot of Sideport models around also but many of them are the earlier XL250s. 

Rare?  Well you don't see many of them on the market, but there are typically several sold each year between the various online web sales sites.  The Black colors don't do it justice since the really nice ones typically used polished CR250 and CR125 tanks and showed nicer.  This is either a "stealth" edition or an attempt to copy the Black KSI bikes that looked good in their Black and Yellow gloss colors. 

$2500 isn't a bad price for it since a "new" built C&J frame would run over $2000 by itself.  Mostly the value will hinge on what is in the engine build?  And what kind of condition the cam journals are in?  Megacycle needle bearing cam would help raise the value.  SS valves, big bore and/or stroker crank?  What carb? 

It is a mid-model frame, after the early short travel side ports and before the longer travel late '70s stuff.  So that puts it out of the Vintage Racing since it has too long a suspension travel for that class.  But there are some late '70s 9" travel classes that it could MX race in.  Again what is in the engine will make it more or less desirable since it is easy to put $2000 into a good race engine for the 350s. 

Still could make a good race or trail bike for someone.

Apologies for doubting it.   Description sounded like a CLister spouting platitudes about their bastard builds.   ;)

I've heard of C&J frames, but didn't know they still brought big bucks like that.   

Edited by MindBlower

C&J went back into business last year and he was planning on making some new old style frames for the XL350s.  You can also buy C&J copies for the XL350/XR500s from England.  The reason that the cost is so high is that Tig welding is no longer $10 and hour and more like $60-80/hr depending on who is doing it.  Tig is slow but strong and pretty and the preferred weld for most custom frames.  Also new Aluminum replica swingarms can go from $400-$800 so that drives the cost up as well..  This isn't 1975 anymore!!  Even the old frames can go for a fair amount of cash if they are in good condition. 

Swiss