Sign in to follow this  

Bike transition for my son

My son is 12 and has been riding a 2003 YZ 125 for almost a year. He likes riding track but has decided he doesn't really want to race MX. He may race some cross county and ride local MX tracks but mainly focus on trails. He is not going to be happy with a mellow trail bike but I think he needs something with more versatile power and can still work on the track. I don't know if a engine upgrade on the 125 and suspension would work or I'd I need to start looking at other bikes.

or a wr250/250 type bikes

KTM is definetly an option if you want to stay 2 stroke and have a decent trail bike

Ktm200 is a great option. Or a yz144 from the 2006+ era.

A little different and more versatile option is a Husqvarna 125. They come with a 144 kit and some bore the 125 into a 165 with awesome results, very similar to a ktm200 in power. All this can be done for less than buying a ktm200 with no mods. The huskys have the same forks as the 06+ YZs too.

My son is 12 and has been riding a 2003 YZ 125 for almost a year. He likes riding track but has decided he doesn't really want to race MX. He may race some cross county and ride local MX tracks but mainly focus on trails. He is not going to be happy with a mellow trail bike but I think he needs something with more versatile power and can still work on the track. I don't know if a engine upgrade on the 125 and suspension would work or I'd I need to start looking at other bikes.

I'd say Ktm or kdx200. Or kdx220. Or maybe a Ktm 150??

why not keep him on the 125. Unless he's starting to get to heavy for it, ~150+, nothing is going to develop bike skills like a 125. And depending how much he rode before getting it, 1 year isn't much time either.

Edited by Die_trying

He is fairly good on it but I haven't had him out on the trails much. I just don't know how controllable the power is going to be for him on the hills and technical stuff. The other problem is I love two strokes but live in California so all the new two strokes are red sticker.

why not keep him on the 125. Unless he's starting to get to heavy for it, ~150+, nothing is going to develop bike skills like a 125. And depending how much he rode before getting it, 1 year isn't much time either.

The 125 or 144 is a great training tool!