4.00-18 versus 4.6-18 versus 4.5-18 for DR350 Rear Tire

Hi tire newb here.

My DR350 was running a Kenda K270 in 4.5x18", by mistake I ordered a replacement in 4.6x18".

It sure looked skinny compared to the 4.5 (4.3" wide versus 4.8"), it was only 4 ply and had a load rating of 600lbs versus 800lbs for the 4.5.

The 4.6 seemed to perform well as I got near 5000 miles out of it and completed the Washington Backroads Discovery Route on that skinny rear tire.

My store does not have any 4.5 or 4.6 left in stock so I was looking at the 4.00x18" and noticed it was cheaper, had 6 plies, was the same width as the 4.6, has a 700lb load rating and is and its OD is in between the 4.5 and 4.6.

Is there any reason I should not go with the 4.00 for my DR350 rear replacement?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The sizing you are stating is the older non-metric sizing.  In that system the 4.0 and 4.5 size reference width in inches with normal sidewall height when installed on the rim.  The 4.1 and 4.6 tires are called low profile tires and should have the same width but a lower sidewall.  On the shelf the 4.5 will look wider than the 4.6, but when installed on the rim, both should be the same width but different heights.  When the 4.0 is installed on the rim it should be narrower than the 4.5 or 4.6.

Having said that motorcycle tire size is not an exact science.  Manufactures claim their tires to be a certain size, but size varies between manufactures.  About the only consistency is rim size.

• 8 months later...