Sign in to follow this  

New tires time... What are you guys rocking?

So my back tire is almost to the wear line. I really want to go with a 50/50 tire but im not sure I ride this bike literally everywhere. 65 to 70 mph on the highway still riding dirt roads around my house even with bald back tire. Frequently wearing out the rear tire isnt a concern money wise just controll and handling.

I am leaning towards pirelli scorpions because this is the only dual sport tire I've heard anything about just wondering if it might be a bit to nobby for when I get really rolling on a windy counry back road thats paved. I generally am just giving this bike hell and there for just concerned about controll issues im at 2500 miles on the bike and its my first bike so everything is still a learning curve but a lot of riding has been done.

So what do you guys think I dont post much but I am always checking out to see what everyones running.

These look almost to aggressive to me.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14844/ITEM/Pirelli-XCMH-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

From the tread this one looks more up my ally than the one above.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/28465/ITEM/Pirelli-Scorpion-Rally-Rear-Tire.aspx

Toss that amazing input this is what I've found so far if you know something better let me know.

Thanks Jawn,

the stock tires suck so bad no matter what you choose will be a great improvement ....   :goofy:

I was going to buy that first link you posted but knew I would spend more time on the street than I wanted so I went with these ...IRC Battle Rallys  http://goo.gl/sMhQXn 

They are a great tire and after only 600 miles on the pavement the front still looks brand new and the rear has a little wear. My guess is these tires will last atleast 3K miles and the front even longer. 

They perform great on the pavement and in the dirt as well. I like them and have no complaints but since I don't really put many miles on ... my next set may be the XCMH's ...   :thumbsup:

I would either get what gnath has or Michelin T63

No matter how much we want grip in the dirt .... we still need to hold the highway a little ....  :prof:  Both the T63's and the TR8's bite well off road while keeping some grip on the pavement. 

going fast thru the twistys on the XCMH's might be a little scary for some ....  :shocked:

• Like 1

the stock tires suck so bad no matter what you choose will be a great improvement ....   :goofy:

Agree, I'm using MT21 now and it feels to me they have more grip on road than the stock tires. Off road as well, of course...

• Like 7

Agree, I'm using MT21 now and it feels to me they have more grip on road than the stock tires. Off road as well, of course...

Another vote for the MT21, much better feel on the road and off.  I paired the MT21 rear with a MT16 up front and am very happy with the combo after 700 miles.

• Like 5

Another vote for the MT21, much better feel on the road and off.  I paired the MT21 rear with a MT16 up front and am very happy with the combo after 700 miles.

M-21 is what i have decided will be my next tire also :ride:  :ride: 

• Like 3

Yeah windy roads was a major concern because I am really loving the twisties. These are some excelent options you guys have thrown out look deeper into these tonight.

Its hard because most of where I live is dirt roads like my county in missouri has the most dirt roads in the state people have given me a hard time for buying the motorcycle I bought but I can't help stupid. I am on dirt straight to asphalt back and forth I have one friend here who rides who understands the dual sport world and supermoto and hes dieing to get rid of his harley now and build an enduro.

Ozarks solo riding 24/7 here hopefully my buddy will come up with a bike hes helped me with most of my mods and questions but sometimes I just have to come here.

Just the local crazy guy zipping around on his what people call glorified dirt bike and I am like hell yea it's gloryus.

• Like 3

Nothing but twisty pavement out my way too and the MT21 does well on it.  Never felt uncomfortable yet but I'm no daredevil either.  I'm too old for thrill rides, I just enjoy the ride these days.  Most of my riding is on gravel forest roads and the combo I have works well for that also.  Enjoy your bike!!

• Like 4

Kenda Track Master II but next set will be Michelin AC10s. For anything than pavement or dirt road the stockers suck.

• Like 2

Seems like most all of you are going knobby. I'm leaning on a 70/30 tire myself like the Shinko 705. But Im in the same boat as Razorbill, my first bike in 30 years; so I don't have a lot to compare it to, other than the stocker.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-705-dual-sport-tires?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CKnCyLuX1bkCFa9_QgodlXQA1w

For the guys who never trail ride .... I think the CB500X Adventure bike would be awesome at $5,999.00

• 471cc parallel-twin DOHC engine
  • Programmed Fuel Injection
  • 41mm fork; 5.5 inches travel
  • The CB500X features a brand-new engine and chassis. Like the machines that made Honda famous in the U.S., its two-cylinder parallel-twin layout provides a wide powerband and plenty of torque, while a counterbalance keeps thing running smooth. Special touches like the CB500X’s more upright seating position, greater ground clearance and longer wheelbase make it perfectly suited for an adventure-bike rider who values function and maneuverability.

Honda%20CB500X%2013%20%201.jpg

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 4

Seems like most all of you are going knobby. I'm leaning on a 70/30 tire myself like the Shinko 705. But Im in the same boat as Razorbill, my first bike in 30 years; so I don't have a lot to compare it to, other than the stocker.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-705-dual-sport-tires?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CKnCyLuX1bkCFa9_QgodlXQA1w

I would love to try out a pair of tires like this but there is just to much dirt around here I have to commute on. I feel like I would have to go so slow but hey what do I know because I havent tried it.

IRC GP-1  on my bike . They hang in there on the road , no problems with traction anywhere .  Where are you in Missouri liljawn ?

For the guys who never trail ride .... I think the CB500X Adventure bike would be awesome at $5,999.00

• 471cc parallel-twin DOHC engine
  • Programmed Fuel Injection
  • 41mm fork; 5.5 inches travel
  • The CB500X features a brand-new engine and chassis. Like the machines that made Honda famous in the U.S., its two-cylinder parallel-twin layout provides a wide powerband and plenty of torque, while a counterbalance keeps thing running smooth. Special touches like the CB500X’s more upright seating position, greater ground clearance and longer wheelbase make it perfectly suited for an adventure-bike rider who values function and maneuverability.

Honda%20CB500X%2013%20%201.jpg

I`m actually thinking about getting this bike when I am in the US as a cheap affordable way for touring and forest service road stuff, plus a 250 dual sport for more trail oriented stuff. I also like the idea of owning a 990 Adventure or Super Tenere a lot, but then I think I could get this plus a 250 dual sport for the same price, and then I am not so sure anymore...especially as I most likely wouldn`t go anywhere with a big adv bike where I couldn`t go with a bike like the 500X  :ride:

One reason towards a big adv bike is though that it would actually be reasonable to bring that with me to my next destination, whereas the 500 and especially the 250 are not worth the transportation costs.

• Like 1

IRC GP-1  on my bike . They hang in there on the road , no problems with traction anywhere .  Where are you in Missouri liljawn ?

West Plains, Missouri