KDX 200

KDX 200

I just bought a 2000 KDX 200 off of Craigslist and it's my first 2 stroke dirtbike. I know 2 strokes blow some smoke but when I rev it it blows more smoke than I think is normal even for a 2 stroke. I've been putting in Stihl chainsaw/lawn mower 2 cycle mix at a 1:32 ratio which is 8oz per 2 gallons of gas and from what I've seen on the Internet is what you're supposed to use. And also in neutral with the clutch out idleing it makes a clicking noise. The final problem is that when it is first started it will idle all day but sometimes after riding it it needs gas to idle. I realize that it is a old dirtbike and it'll inherently have some issues but I was just curious if these are mechanical problems or not.

I just bought a 2000 KDX 200 off of Craigslist and it's my first 2 stroke dirtbike. I know 2 strokes blow some smoke but when I rev it it blows more smoke than I think is normal even for a 2 stroke. I've been putting in Stihl chainsaw/lawn mower 2 cycle mix at a 1:32 ratio which is 8oz per 2 gallons of gas and from what I've seen on the Internet is what you're supposed to use. And also in neutral with the clutch out idleing it makes a clicking noise. The final problem is that when it is first started it will idle all day but sometimes after riding it it needs gas to idle. I realize that it is a old dirtbike and it'll inherently have some issues but I was just curious if these are mechanical problems or not.

My experience with the KDX's and other trail type 2-smokers is they seem to smoke more than motocross bikes.  My buddy had a '97 and it was great and lasted for ever and is still going strong.  He always used Golden Spectro and mixed at 40:1.  I wouldn't put any chainsaw oil, just motorcycle oil since it is designed for it.  There are a lot of great oils out there.

Hopefully nothing wrong with the bike when at idle. I've had a few that done the same thing at idle and they just seem to vibrate more when the clutch is out.  Maybe the kickstarter or a lever is rattling.  Try and stop a lever or kickstarter from vibrating, don't pull the lever in just hold it from moving.

Most 2-smokers don't idle very well but you could turn up the idle.  You could check the Air Fuel screw and turn it all the way and back it out to factory settings, something like 1.5 turns out, not sure what is recommended.  Wouldn't hurt to change the oil, new plug, clean the air filter if you already haven't done it.  Wouldn't hurt to take the carb off and disassemble and clean and reassemble.  Don't be afraid of cleaning it as you just get a can of carb cleaner and pay attention to what goes where.  

Hopefully the KDX is as good to you as my buddies has been to him.