Stator causing bike not to start

I've narrowed my issue down to not enough spark and a faulty stator for my bike starting hard and recently not at all...I'm considering picking up the Trail Tech SR-8201A kit and  being told it will fry my electrical system but cannot find any other claims to that comment. anyone know of any horror stories or read bad reviews of this product please let me know before I pull the trigger on this purchase. Nothing but luck with Trail Tech in the past and their customer service is the tits IMHO.

next time I check and have to re-shim the valves I'll consider that mod but the bike kicked fine when I had adequate spark.

I wasn't aware intermittent LOW spark was caused by valve clearance.

Let me give you some perspective. You came in here and basically said "bike was running fine, now it won't start"

You gave an opinion of what you think the problem is, which in this case isn't actually very relevant.

96% of the time the solution to "bike was running fine, now it won't start" is that the valves are worn out.

1% of the time, the wires are frayed going into the coil on cap causing intermittent spark

1% of the time something is wrong with the carb

1% of the time bad coil

0.1% of the time bad stator

Check your valves. Have you reshimmed them in the past?

Let me give you some perspective. You came in here and basically said "bike was running fine, now it won't start"

You gave an opinion of what you think the problem is, which in this case isn't actually very relevant.

96% of the time the solution to "bike was running fine, now it won't start" is that the valves are worn out.

1% of the time, the wires are frayed going into the coil on cap causing intermittent spark

1% of the time something is wrong with the carb

1% of the time bad coil

0.1% of the time bad stator

Check your valves. Have you reshimmed them in the past?

Actually this thread is about Trail Tech's stator kit not why it's not starting. Was told not to buy the kit because it would fry my bikes electrical. So I started the thread here looking for positive or negative feedback since I've found neither elsewhere on the kit not trouble shooting tips. I'm 100% sure the stator is toast.

The trail tech stator puts out more power which needs to be shunted by the regulator. If the regulator can't handle the current it can definitely fry your bike. Usually trail tech recommends that you use their regulator, since they basically have no idea how much current the stock ones can dissipate since honda doesn't provide any specs on them

So, not a good idea to use a TT stator with stock electronics. It might work, or it might be expensive.

How did you determine the stator is bad?

Edited by mudguy

The trail tech stator puts out more power which needs to be shunted by the regulator. If the regulator can't handle the current it can definitely fry your bike. Usually trail tech recommends that you use their regulator, since they basically have no idea how much current the stock ones can dissipate since honda doesn't provide any specs on them

So, not a good idea to use a TT stator with stock electronics. It might work, or it might be expensive.

How did you determine the stator is bad?

I'd never install a higher voltage stator without a rectifier/regulator which the kit comes with. It is pricey but also has everything to do a light conversion and a heavier flywheel.

I determined the stator is bad by process of elimination... Checking connections, fluke meter readings, carb, valves etc... Make a long story short my toddler thought she was helping me wash my bike and unbeknownst to me water got into the engine oil. Next day kicking it over the water must've shorted out an already going bad stator. Research dictates it's a fairly common issue with the stator and intermittent/low spark in the early model CRF's. Friend of mine has an "06" 250R that acted the same way even after the usual valve problems was fixed... Turned out to be a faulty stator after all. Way I see it, if you can bump start a hard starting CRF it's the valves if you can't it's the stator.

I'd never install a higher voltage stator without a rectifier/regulator which the kit comes with. It is pricey but also has everything to do a light conversion and a heavier flywheel.

I determined the stator is bad by process of elimination... Checking connections, fluke meter readings, carb, valves etc... Make a long story short my toddler thought she was helping me wash my bike and unbeknownst to me water got into the engine oil. Next day kicking it over the water must've shorted out an already going bad stator. Research dictates it's a fairly common issue with the stator and intermittent/low spark in the early model CRF's. Friend of mine has an "06" 250R that acted the same way even after the usual valve problems was fixed... Turned out to be a faulty stator after all. Way I see it, if you can bump start a hard starting CRF it's the valves if you can't it's the stator.

Water in the engine oil isn't going to ruin a stator. Oil is heavier than water, and wouldn't affect the stator

I think the 07 still used a coil on cap spark setup. The small wires which enter the coil on top of the spark plug evenentually break and cause intermittent or no spark. When this happened to my buddies 2005 CRF250R, he had just washed the bike, and then it wouldn't start, the water hose or maybe a sponge or something must have wiggled it loose.