Sign in to follow this  

Any idea on how to remove corrosion from a stator plate?

Hey guys, I bought a used stator plate sight unseen. Well this thing looks like it was put away wet and has corrosion all over it. The guy swears it works and will refund my money if it dont work. So any idea on how to remove corrosion from it??

Bead blast it, careful not to blast the windings though. removing the corrosion at this point is purely cosmetic and will do nothing for the function of the stator. some think that removing the rust will help with the "contacts". there are no contacts though

corrosion of what kind ? If its not rust then use some viniger and a brush it will brake down the corrosion on aluminum.

bead blasting seems a bit harsh and may take away the winding coatings.

Hey guys, I bought a used stator plate sight unseen. Well this thing looks like it was put away wet and has corrosion all over it. The guy swears it works and will refund my money if it dont work. So any idea on how to remove corrosion from it??

baking soda and water mixed 50/50. And put it on, then rub it then wash it with the mix then wipe dry then wash with water then wipe dry.

Get some "OSPHO" from your local hardware store. Wire brush the loose surface rust, then treat with OSPHO. Turns iron oxide "rust" into iron phosphate which is inert.

Thanks guys for the idea. I know it is not hurting any thing but is sure looks bad. Sorry but no pics. The boy mounted my camera on his buddies helmet and crashed with it. I need to get a new one now. I dont no why he did not mount his gopro on his buddies helmet??

I had a similar situation, but didn't do anything fancy like buy special oxides or chemicals. I basically took my time and wire brushed it to the best I could, then oiled it with motor oil (lightly), installed it, sealed the cover good so no more moisture got in, and after every ride, I would take the stator out, give me more of a wire brush again lightly, nothing severe, clean it with rubbing alcohol, air dry it, then lightly oil it again with motor oil and a cue tip, and after a couple of months, all the rust was gone. Some of the metal got pitted, but no rust at least to worry about and it works just fine. One of the things I learned about dealing with that side of the motor is, you can't seal it enough. Seal the cover and of course the wiring that goes into it and you can't go wrong. Just my five cents worth.