24hr stavation Ridge lighting support

Washington

Its been our pleasure to help riders prepare for the biggest 24hr in the country for several years now, It seems like only yesterday that my sons where 12 years old and riding Ironman during the 24. Man does time fly. Now they can legally buy dad a beer :thumbsup:

This year Cyclops and Konflict Motorsports will be fielding a team of Adventure bikes (950/990) and competing against the smaller bikes, Hope it doesn't rain :cry: Please wish us well, we might need it.

We would also like to offer all registered racers 15% off anything we offer. You have to ask for this discount. Look for a new website coming soon approx. Oct 1 that will showcase all the new Cyclops LED products along with TT and BD quality lights and other electrical goodies.

We really appreciate all the support we have been given by you the rider and racer threw out the years. It time to give back and look forward to the next 10 years.

In addition to our very popular 600 series light bars we have something new for this season.

Here is a new LED race light that we are working on .Production versions should be ready next week. It offers Over 1200 ft of quality light with no hotspots or sharp drop offs., It is dimmable for when it gets dusty and weighs about the same as an 8" HID.

IMG_20130902_152054_787.jpg

Our Adventure LED has been a very popular light. It can be used as a Motorcycle helmet mount light, bicycle light, general work light etc. Great for the rider who wants more out of a helmet light than to just use it for a race. It carries the best battery warranty in the business.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=96

Edited by Cyclops

I really wat one! Whats the draw?

guessing between 30 and 50 watts

Thanks for asking  50 watts Dc

Finally an LED light with a decent reflector. specs specs... is the XM-L2 emitter? What kind of driver? wattage?

so, you have my attention.....

HID is great, but want something that is "on in an instant" I finally fixed the power supply issues and there are no switches to get crapped up between the battery and HID lights (switching is via latching SSR. I can handle a 15 amp starting in-rush per relay before they shutdown as they are self limiting)

I currently have a X2...MR16 and the SC4 are both spot beams, both ballasts are 40 watts...total draw is 80 watts...add in my Radiator fan, and I am out of power...Can not run a helmet light on the bike in tight single track situations, or in slower muddy situations.

Would like to run a LED helmet light, and a LED on the bike, but it seems to date that "watt for watt" Light output is equivelant between HID and LED Especially when considering overall distance out in front of the bike.

I have an aftermarket stator that can produce 100 watts....but I really can not use more than 80 for lighting. I need a solution!!!

Edited by cdaledh

so, to add to this, while my current HID is cool, it seems there is a significant portion of wasted light from a simple segmented reflector that gets sent off into space...would like to see a better reflector to help clip the upper portion of the beam and send the light to an area on the ground in front of the bike where it could be used...so a reflector re-design is in order...

Would like to have a pattern like my current light, but with the upper portion of the beam clipped...basicly have the beam more "box-like" 

so...

at a distance of 400', the beam would be 80 feet wide and 40 feet tall with an average intensity of 30 Lux..

so, can we get a LED to produce 9000 lumens in the concentrated area stated above and at the distance stated above??

Edited by cdaledh

Finally an LED light with a decent reflector. specs specs... is the XM-L2 emitter? What kind of driver? wattage?

This light use the SST90 single 25 watt emitter(1 per light). Originally designed for theater movie projectors. A single emitter will provide a far smoother light beam with no hot spots than a multi emitter design, the other huge benefit is the ability to get deep  optics that multi emitter LEDs just can not achieve. The led is driven at 90%

SST-90 is a 2500 lumen emitter

What is your beam width and height @ 300'

Edited by cdaledh

so, to add to this, while my current HID is cool, it seems there is a significant portion of wasted light from a simple segmented reflector that gets sent off into space...would like to see a better reflector to help clip the upper portion of the beam and send the light to an area on the ground in front of the bike where it could be used...so a reflector re-design is in order...

Would like to have a pattern like my current light, but with the upper portion of the beam clipped...basicly have the beam more "box-like" 

so...

at a distance of 400', the beam would be 80 feet wide and 40 feet tall with an average intensity of 30 Lux..

so, can we get a LED to produce 9000 lumens in the concentrated area stated above and at the distance stated above??

The Lumen game is marketing BS, plain and simple. I can show you a 900 lumen light that will outdo a 4000 lumen light.

Its all in the optics. Light pollution or scattered light is common with todays multi emitter LED lights, focus and optic quality are something that most companies or consumers don't think about. But this is the single most important thing that makes a light good or bad.

What we care about as riders is how well a light will allow you to see, effectively converting to how fast you can ride.

The lights we have setup in this race light use a 10 degree beam pattern, with the ability to adjust the two lights separately, up/down and side to side  It offers a good spread and very good distance, well over 1000 ft.

The ability to dim the light is what I feel is a major step in the right direction over HID, When it gets dusty powerful lights just make it worse

So yes, we can and do offer a light that has a good concentration and extremely good distance.

Hopefully I can get some night shots soon

SST-90 is a 2500 lumen emitter

What is your beam width and height @ 300'

We will get all those #s when we set up the photo shot.

Edited by Cyclops

The Lumen game is marketing BS, plain and simple. I can show you a 900 lumen light that will outdo a 4000 lumen light.

Its all in the optics. Light pollution or scattered light is common with todays multi emitter LED lights, focus and optic quality are something that most companies or consumers don't think about. But this is the single most important thing that makes a light good or bad.

What we care about as riders is how well a light will allow you to see, effectively converting to how fast you can ride.

The lights we have setup in this race light use a 10 degree beam pattern, with the ability to adjust the two lights separately, up/down and side to side  It offers a good spread and very good distance, well over 1000 ft.

The ability to dim the light is what I feel is a major step in the right direction over HID, When it gets dusty powerful lights just make it worse

So yes, we can and do offer a light that has a good concentration and extremely good distance.

Hopefully I can get some night shots soon

I understand the Lumen vs. Lux game...which is why I stated the requirements the way I did...I understand that Lumen is "total light output" while Lux is the intensity of the light that is visible to the eye....it's all in the units...

an 80'x40' area iluminated with an intensity of 30 lux requires 8923 lumens. Achieving this pattern at a distance of 300-400 feet is all in the reflector and related optics

Edited by cdaledh

I understand the Lumen vs. Lux game...which is why I stated the requirements the way I did...I understand that Lumen is "total light output" while Lux is the intensity of the light that is visible to the eye....it's all in the units...

an 80'x40' area iluminated with an intensity of 30 lux requires 8923 lumens. Achieving this pattern at a distance of 300-400 feet is all in the reflector and related optics

Your far smarter than I , all I care about is how well I can see haulin ass threw the forest or track. Lumens in every case is only the amount of light a emitter or bulb will put out at a specific driven %.

Without optics it is all a waste, and useless. One major reason I am not answering your Q direct, is that I have data on one light, not the two combined in the fixture we are using, Until we get it setup on the grid in real life conditions we simply wont know that info. Crunch as many #s as you want, its simply not apples to apples with real life riding or performance.. .All I can say is stop by the Cyclops pits at the race and check it out first hand.

The number crunching is to make sure it is an apples to apples comparison. We both agree that the "lumen" rating all by itself is not usefull. Lux is also not usefull all by itself...both need a projected area and a projected distance to allow one light to be compared to another.

As a consumer, I need to purchace once and be done with it..so, I need a way to "standardize" the lighting systemS to be able to make an educated Guess if the "new" system is actually better than what I already have.

hard to purchase once and be done with it when the technology/prices are developing nightly

I now have several generations of lighting equipment....all of it, if nothing else is heavier than the newer stuff.

I prefer the yellowish halogen, but to power it kills other options.

Edited by Slackkinhard

...... SST90 ...emitter(1 per light)....The led is driven at 90%

Now we're talking.. :thumbsup: 

The number crunching is to make sure it is an apples to apples comparison. We both agree that the "lumen" rating all by itself is not usefull. Lux is also not usefull all by itself...both need a projected area and a projected distance to allow one light to be compared to another.

As a consumer, I need to purchace once and be done with it..so, I need a way to "standardize" the lighting systemS to be able to make an educated Guess if the "new" system is actually better than what I already have.

That's the big problem that as a company we have been attempting to deal with. There is so much misinformation on lighting its almost like talking about Oil. There is no real standard to accurately measure light, the way us riders use lighting. It would be nice if the entire industry used independent Isolux charts.

IMO you can not figure it out mathematically, You need to see for yourself to make a good judgment, something that is hard to do. How often is there even an op to see different lights in person?

Riders are allured to the low priced Chinese made products boosting of high lumen ratings, that really don't do much. They might put out a lot of lumens, but this is wasted with no real optics or heat sinking in the lights, I can totally understand why and have fallen victim myself.

No doubt we would make a lot more cabbage if we got on that band wagon and started hawking this (IMO) junk. Guys eat it up. I will go out of business before doing that.

When quality matters its all about choices.

Agreed, if the initial data is wrong, the math will not work

light comparison.jpgwell, slowly getting a decent comparison...

Edited by cdaledh

Updated