Sign in to follow this  

My $40 1973 xl 250

Picked up this 73' xl 250 the other day for $40 it isn't currently running but the motor is free. The wiring is a mess and there is no spark so I am going to replace the coil and see where that gets me. I have done minimal wiring on bikes before but never an enduro like this. I know they will run with no battery but what do I need wired up? Can I just do coil, stator, points? That is all that the bike came with and is how it was wired and supposedly ridin. Thanks for any input! Ill keep the build progress posted in return for y'all's help! Happy riding!

image.jpg

Its minimal, and Im trying to remember for ya how it goes exactly.But basically the stator, points, coil, and killswitch (optional really, all you really need is a wire that grounds to the frame for that)

Thanks so I don't necessarily need a regulator or rectafier? Also, what is the proper coil for this bike? The one that's on it is wrong and I've seen a few different looking coils for the bike. Some are in the $60 range and some are in the $20 range. Any advice? Links? Thanks!

Buy a used one off Ebay. Sometimes you can find other models that work but you may need to fab up a bracket (zip ties).  Or there might be a Yahoo group for those bikes.  I'm not familliar with Hondas, but looks like the black, then blk/wt wire is the ignition.

http://binatani.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Honda-XL350-Electrical-Wiring-Diagram-1.jpg

Edited by Jeekinz

I have a spark! I adjusted the points and cleaned them. The spark is week but maybe further adjusting will fix that. Does anyone have a picture of the side of the carb that fuel exits into the motor? Is there supposed to be a little needle like on most carbs?

• Like 1

God bless you for taking on a project like this. I personally would have saved the $40 for a new set of shoes, which even after you get this running will be your preferred mode of transportation. Good luck!

Not sure what your trying to say but I'll choose to ignore it for now. I am obviously not speaking of the slide. I mean is it supposed to have a fuel nozzle that shoots into the intake or is it recessed. I am used to working on large bikes and am very unfamiliar with these single cylinder bikes. Thanks for any helpful replays. A picture of a working carb on the intake side of the motor will answer my question.

Not sure what your trying to say but I'll choose to ignore it for now. I am obviously not speaking of the slide. I mean is it supposed to have a fuel nozzle that shoots into the intake or is it recessed. I am used to working on large bikes and am very unfamiliar with these single cylinder bikes. Thanks for any helpful replays. A picture of a working carb on the intake side of the motor will answer my question.

I was merely trying to say that bike has led a hard life and will cost more to make decent than it will ever be worth. As well as offering good luck.

Well I appreciate the good luck wishes. However it will be worth it, I've brought bikes in way worse condition than this to far beyond my goals for this project. Sorry for being so short yesterday. Have a good one. Stay posted!

Got you one beat.  I once bought a '73 250 like that for $20, no seat, no tank.  It was in about that condition otherwise, and the motor was tight, so I gave it shot... why not since I had another one just like it.  Cranked on the second kick, so I invested money into a seat and tank.  It ended up being a great trail bike, and I actually raced in 2 races with it.
Good luck, have fun!!!!

• Like 1

Try this site:

http://forum1.aimoo.com/XLBoard

Does not have a fuel needle like on your pictured carb.  "Most" carbs do not have that needle either!  There is no accelerator pump, just a basic carb.  It will work just fine if it is cleaned out and the small needle jets not clogged up.

If you have a spark then you don't need to invest in $70 for a different coil, just get everything cleaned up and working correctly and go from there!

Swiss