Sign in to follow this  

Jetting issue maybe?

04 rm 250

New gnarly pipe and turbine core

silencer

Fairly fresh top end

168 main and 48 pilot. Both of these are new

When bike idles it seems like it is loading up and I have to rev it a few good times to clear it out...seems like it bogs on top...as long as I rev it a few good times it is fine.

Also it is smoking when it idles and I rev it... This isnt the jetting fmf list but there.enviroment and fuel dont match mine

300' above sea level

36:1 amsoil

Any advice would be appreciative

What color is the smoke? And what does the smoke smell like? 2-stroke oil or.....? Coolant levels good? Have you measured the oil out of the crankcase? 750ml in should get the same out hot (or real close) someone else on here also mention for me when I was jetting mine. Make sure your a/f screw passage is clear, a heavily soaked air filter will plug that little jewel. Blow by? Compression test results would be good if all else checks out. Good luck man hope this helps a little you may have your pilot jet so fat it's loading up and washing your cylinder down. If it were me I'd start cutting back your pilot jet size and see what happens. New plug gapped correctly and run it on the slow circuits and see what the plug looks like good luck

Edited by Onesolidbarr

What color is the smoke? And what does the smoke smell like? 2-stroke oil or.....? Coolant levels good? Have you measured the oil out of the crankcase? 750ml in should get the same out hot (or real close) someone else on here also mention for me when I was jetting mine. Make sure your a/f screw passage is clear, a heavily soaked air filter will plug that little jewel. Blow by? Compression test results would be good if all else checks out. Good luck man hope this helps a little you may have your pilot jet so fat it's loading up and washing your cylinder down. If it were me I'd start cutting back your pilot jet size and see what happens. New plug gapped correctly and run it on the slow circuits and see what the plug looks like good luck

Its blue smoke has a 2 stroke smell....coolant all looks good, not sure on the crankcase oil... I will check the plug next I guess

After the 10 min. I rode today I didnt.have any exhaust spooge....

Try dropping your pilot from 48 to 45 pay close attention an ride it on the slow circuits see if it quits smokin/loading up

This is a 2 stroke race bike, not a street bike, with that in mind it was never designed to idle for any meaningful amount of time.  Only start it when your ready to ride.

I would drop the pilot jet size to 45 just like I did,,,just like onesolid said, it will clear up the rich idle condition,,,plus it will improve the roll-on feel on the power,,,,then adjust the air jet and idle screw,,and You got It.........good luck..........Dr.D..

Thanks Alot will give the 45 a try.... Only reason it was idling was while I opened the shop

I have had great sucess by raising or lowering the jet needle a clip position.  This you can do right away if you don't have a jet on hand.  Really woke up two of my bikes.  But ya, you will load it up unless your getting on the pipe as part of your normal riding habbits.