suggested 2001 kdx 220r adjustments and mods?

Alright so I just purchased a 2001 kdx 220r it's a great bike but it didn't come with any goodies all stock, and like most stock bikes I know there are always improvements that can be made. I however don't know to much about the mechnical aspect of things so I was wondering what mods would be ideal for this bike if it's used for all types of offroad riding? How could I tell if it needs jetting and other adjustments, or could I just bring it to a mechanic and tell them how it's ridden and they would know? All adjustment and mod suggestions and information is greatly appreciated, also which mods should be priority? I will probably only work on one thing at a time.

Replacing the stock piston is first as they were defective from the factory. Use a Wiesco.

Replace the forks with something off of a newer 125 or 250, Kaw of course. Getting the suspension set up for you make all the difference.

Then work on performance by:

Put an FMF "desert" pipe for more top end.

RBDesigns will do a carb and head mod for under 150 bux that will make it a tractor.

It'll be a bad a$$ bike then.

• Like 1

Replacing the stock piston is first as they were defective from the factory. Use a Wiesco.

Replace the forks with something off of a newer 125 or 250, Kaw of course. Getting the suspension set up for you make all the difference.

Then work on performance by:

Put an FMF "desert" pipe for more top end.

RBDesigns will do a carb and head mod for under 150 bux that will make it a tractor.

It'll be a bad a$$ bike then.I

you're saying use forks from a kx ? and is the piston hard to change or can I do it myself? Also for the piston, i'm not having any problems with it, the bike runs great for it's year should I just wait and see on that one?

Edited by Dustin.bernhard

Yes, you will need a full front end from a Kx 125/250. Check out kdxrider.net they have tons of info on this.

Changing the piston is not hard but you will need the service manual (you need one anyway).

Piston change with gaskets is about 180 from bike bandit or get it from the thumpertalk store(my choice).

There is a write up in the FAQ section of this section that tells all about top end rebuilds (with pics!!!)

Good luck man.

Yes, you will need a full front end from a Kx 125/250. Check out kdxrider.net they have tons of info on this.

Changing the piston is not hard but you will need the service manual (you need one anyway).

Piston change with gaskets is about 180 from bike bandit or get it from the thumpertalk store(my choice).

There is a write up in the FAQ section of this section that tells all about top end rebuilds (with pics!!!)

Good luck man.

Do you know where I can get a service manual? The guy I bought it off of couldn't find it, thanks for all the info ?

Replace the top end stuff, and then add an aftermarket pipe. Save the fork mod for when you reach the limits of the stockers. Stock forks can be made to work, depending on ability. Unless whooped out trails are often encountered, stock forks work well for single track up to race speeds.

Replace the top end stuff, and then add an aftermarket pipe. Save the fork mod for when you reach the limits of the stockers. Stock forks can be made to work, depending on ability. Unless whooped out trails are often encountered, stock forks work well for single track up to race speeds.

soo what exactly would the top end stuff consist of? once again not very knowledgable in this area ?