Sign in to follow this  

Burning oil

Just as the title says my drz is burning oil , I can tell cuz I see clouds of smoke when I blip the throttle , and my oil goes low .. It goes from the top of the dipstick to the bottom in about 300-350 miles .. It doesn't take much to add it and fills back up .. My concern is can I get away with just replacing the piston rings and hone it out .. I wanna keep it stock as there is no funds for a bb and carb .. Oh the bike is an 06 drz400sm and just hit 9,000 miles .. What would you guys do .. Ride it till it smokes alot more then rebuild ? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Rings AND valve stem seals.

Is the oil/vapor crankcase breather system intact?

9,000 miles is not much to wear out rings.  What is the history on this bike?

Yes the oil breather and all is still there .. Has all the common mods 3x3 full rs2 .. I bought the bike with 6,900 miles two months ageo before i bought it it was sittin for a year or two then i bought , I commute to work and back which involves freeway 35 miles of .. But I don't push it .. I do canyons on weekends and that's when I push it .. Since I had it its always had a tick .. Everyone says it's normal I did all the fixes and checked/ adjusted valves and been riding it since with no problems pulls hard still wheelie all day .. Just smokes now .. ... It doesn't smoke on start or deceleration just when I hit the throttle hard twice on the second twist it smokes alot big puff .. Oh I use rotella oil changed every 1000 comes out clean no metel of any kind ..

It all sounds pretty normal.  I see no obvious explanation for the oil burning.  Yes, probably rings and valve stem seals or just ride it.

my 01 drz with 7200 miles uses 4 to ozs every 300 to 400 miles but don't smoke  

If you going to the effort pull it down to replace the rings, I would install a new piston at the same time...

Valve inspection may show the requirement for a new valve or 2.....

as long as you don't mind the smoke and  keep the oil topped up it's fine to keep on riding, just keep in mind the problem is going to get worse with use..

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Hmm interesting I don't mind it smoking , it doesn't smoke when I'm on constant throttle I just don't want it to grande on me ... So you guys would say just keep topping it off with oil till it gets worse then rebuild ... By any chance would anyone have an idea of what a rebuild would cost .. No bb just all stock, I already have a mcct .. Would that be the smartest thing to and keeping it on a budget replace piston,rings,valves?

Edited by TonyTouch

Backyard hack you think just rings,pin, and clips should be an okay fix ... ? Would you recommend gettin it honed too?

Hmm interesting I don't mind it smoking , it doesn't smoke when I'm on constant throttle I just don't want it to grande on me ... So you guys would say just keep topping it off with oil till it gets worse then rebuild ... By any chance would anyone have an idea of what a rebuild would cost .. No bb just all stock

Remember we are just generalising as we don't know the precise cause of your issue...we are just delivering an educated guess...

Arguably, Any components that are displaying signs of wear are more likely to failure ....

If it was my bike I would not hesitate to disassemble ,inspect and replace parts as required  ...

You would most likely be up for cost of replacement rings , piston , stem seals, top end gasket kit and maybe a valve or 4.....

labour costs would be dependant on hourly rate of shop or if you do the work yourself..

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Okay ill be doing all the labor work myself .. Where would I/could I get parts from .. ? Piston, rings, pin, cly ext...

Okay ill be doing all the labor work myself .. Where would I/could I get parts from .. ? Piston, rings, pin, cly ext...

Any reputable parts supplier....TT shop, SSW (sisneros speed works), bike bandit, OEM cycles etc

Another question .. Would it be smart to just get a bb kit .. Install that but still run the stock carb and cam ... At this point I'm not really looking for power upgrade just to fix my leaking smoking piston .. Will there be any damage if I run the bb with stock components until I can save up and get carb and cams ... I was thinking I'm going to have to spend at least 400 bucks to rebuild with stock specs and piston .. 200 bucks more I can get a bb and I can at least know I can have more power later on down the line .. As long as the stock carb or cams won't damage it .. Will this work ? Or should I just go thought with the og plan ..

Stock head is fine.  It just needs to be in good condition.  You are burning oil now, so the head at least needs to be looked at, probably needs valve stem seals, maybe new valves and cut the seats

You could to a cylinder leak down test before tear down, that would tell you a lot about valve sealing.  That would give you an idea of how much head work you need.