Sign in to follow this  

07 450r clutch hub SIEZED

Made the switch to dirt bikes after riding quads for 5 years and owning multiple trx450r's. Traded my 05 trx straight up for a 07 crf450r. Beautiful bike...but 2 days after trading, I changed the oil and found multiple brass shavings, ended up needing a new cylinder, piston and crank as well as a few tranny bearings.

Did that, everything went together fine BUT, as soon I as put the recommended torque on the clutch basket nut, the inner hub would not spin at all. Everything is in the correct order, thrust washer, bearing, collar, basket, etc..

I ended up having to torque it to 40 ft. lbs instead of 59 and used a little blue loc-tite as well as making sure the tabs were secured on the side of the hub nut so it wouldn't come loose. But even then it is difficult to spin. It had a hard spot every revolution, but better than at 59 where it wouldnt spin seperately at all. It wasn't like this before I rebuilt it an I am sure I put everything back together correctly. Triple checked. I believe because of this it is rather hard to shift when riding.

What could be causing this? Warped thrust washer?
I dont want to cause any damage by riding it.

Edited by icaHONDA

Sounds like you didn't assemble it correctly. Extra parts, missing parts, not sure, but something is causing that bind and should be corrected before operating the motor.

• Like 1

Sounds like a backing washer or somthing is missing...also basket could be shot its fairly common that that bike at that age would need a complete hub, plate , ect rebuild ..hang on...about 400$

This is not normal. As was mentioned above something is not assembled in the correct order

This topic was debated to death just a few weeks ago. I believe there was a resolution in the other thread.

The clutch components are in good shape, minimal grooving and the plates are still in spec.

I just cant figure out why the hub would stiffen up when I torque it! Ive done dozens of rebuilds and am 99.9% sure everything is back in the correct order. I looked over the manual and parts diagrams over and over.

I thought maybe I forgot the thrust washer on the back of the shaft the clutch components are attached to but I searched my workbench, the floor and even strained the oil looking for it with no luck, so its in their.

Is it possible the inner hub or the thrust washer warped? When I first got the bike I didnt notice there was a small tranny oil leak so I topped it off (took about 75cc) and ordered the gasket and replaced it. Other problem is that I am not sure if the hub was tight before the rebuild or not. I just took off the pressure plate and lifter rod and pulled the whole clutch pack out and stuck in my clutch tool i made from my trx (two fibers bolted with a steel in the middle) and stuck the impact on it. So I never rotated the inner hub.

I'm just stumped and want to get this fixed. Hopefully it doesnt require splitting the cases again.

This is not normal. As was mentioned above something is not assembled in the correct order

This topic was debated to death just a few weeks ago. I believe there was a resolution in the other thread.

Could you link me to that thread? Couldnt find it for the life of me and even did a google site search.

Could you link me to that thread? Couldnt find it for the life of me and even did a google site search.

you need to remove the clutch basket and set it up in a press, press down on the small gear at the back of the basket and it will move slightly inwards and problem will be sorted. u will see a washer between the small gear and clutch basket that should be tight not fluttering round. Common as problem

• Like 1

All he did was get the big washer between the basket and hub in upside down. There is a radius that needs to miss the basket machined relief. The washer seems like it should go the other way, but it doesnt.

ive tried the washer both ways and looking at it, i cant reall see a difference in the machinging of the washer.

I actually read in a dirt rider the same thing that ghaden said. I'll pull it out and take a look