XR250R vs XR400

Hey all! So i'm really new to this but i was wondering if you guys could help me out. I currently have a 2003 CR85RB that is mint, all cleaned up, ready to sell. After that my goal is to get an XR. At first i was going to get a 250 but then i was figuring if i can legalize it (i live in CT if this helps..) for the road, then i should get a 400. The thing is one of my buddy was saying how although 400s do have more power, they don't necessarily go quicker. He said that the power/weight ratio on the 250 is better so i should get that. Is this true? I will be using this for trail riding for a year or two before i get it for the road. Anyways, what is better an xr250r or an xr400? Pro's and cons of each? I am also probably going to go for a bike that's 2000 or up(as in year) Thanks guys!

Edited by SteffOnMeth

Hey all! So i'm really new to this but i was wondering if you guys could help me out. I currently have a 2003 CR85RB that is mint, all cleaned up, ready to sell. After that my goal is to get an XR. At first i was going to get a 250 but then i was figuring if i can legalize it (i live in CT if this helps..) for the road, then i should get a 400. The thing is one of my buddy was saying how although 400s do have more power, they don't necessarily go quicker. He said that the power/weight ratio on the 250 is better so i should get that. Is this true? I will be using this for trail riding for a year or two before i get it for the road. Anyways, what is better an xr250r or an xr400? Pro's and cons of each? I am also probably going to go for a bike that's 2000 or up(as in year) Thanks guys!

I've got an xr250 and my dads got a xr400. (I've also got a ktm 450). I've ridden both the 250 and 400 a lot so can probably give you an idea on what they're like. The 250 feels WAY lighter then the 400. It's power is pretty good for its size and weight. It's not going to win any drag races but its fine for out in the bush. Feels really light to ride on tight tracks. My 250 is a 1997 model but from 1996 all they way to the last year they made them 2004 or 2005, are identical apart from the different colour plastics. Now the 400, it's a fair bit heavier but has A LOT more torque then the 250 and pulls way harder. The 250 has something like 21-22hp stock to the 400 which has something closer to 30. The difference in power between the two is huge. The 400 would be much better if you plan on riding down the highway. I don't like to push my 250 much higher than 80km/h with a 52tooth sprocket because its working pretty hard at that speed.

Pros and cons for the 250:

Cons:

-Suspensions too soft for my riding.

-Kinda heavy for a 250.

-Can be a real pain to start once it has been laid over and flooded.

Pros:

-Ultra reliable!!

-low maintenance

-Easy to control

-Good performance for what it is

Pros and cons for the 400:

Cons:

-Heavy

-Can be a bitch to start once flooded

-Suspensions too soft (for my riding)

Pros:

-Good power even for its weight.

-Ultra reliable!!

-Low maintenance

That should give you a better idea on what to get.

Wow! Thanks a ton! That really helped me a bunch.

Buy the 400 they are not really that different in weight. And the 400 will last you longer as you get used to the power etc.. The 250's are just to underpowered.. I just sold my 250 xr that I had since new of 19 year. And have ridden My freinds 400 and then the same 400 as a 426..  We all ride 450 now. Lighter faster etc etc.. But you will want the 400 for sure for the street and for later as you become a faster rider etc..  Just my 2cs

I have both an XR250, and an XR400.  The 250 is street legal. 

It depends upon the type of riding you do.  If you don't need to go over 55mph, the 250 is just fine.  Add a 14 tooth front sprocket (available at Amazon and XRs Only) and it will cruise 55mph or so just fine.  It has 6th gear, where the 400 does not...  and comes in handy!

The 250 is definitely lighter on it's feet, has a slightly lower seat height, is more nimble in tight woods, and is truly a great overall bike.

The 400 is better in more open areas and steep hill climbs. 

In a nutshell, the 250 is good for maneuverability, and the 400 is good for when you need more power.

Both are great bikes!

Good Luck!

I'll put it this way and maybe make it real simple for you to choose. Since you said street, get the 400. You would spend as much as the cost of a 250 (or more) TRYING to make it as powerful as a stock uncorked 400.

Its night and day xr250/Xr4.For hard single track,day rides xr250.For all around(and street) long rides 2 days or more xr4.BTR

I am also probably going to go for a bike that's 2000 or up(as in year) Thanks guys!

have you seen the price different for same condition bikes?  400's are usually hard to find and double the price.