Skid plate question?

Anyone try the Crcra  plastic skid plates yet?How did the fit and do you like it? bout 81 bucks on e-bay and come in colors --I'm thinking bout getting a red one for my next mod--got to mod up as i can afford it-fixed income sucks-hoping for fuel controller next--Thanks in advance--Glenn

I haven't tried a plastic skid plate, but I do have a Zeta metal plate and really like it. I don't know what's in your area, but if you want a colored skid plate, powder coating is a solid option. I had mine done in black and so far so good. Plus powder coating protects from rust and can just be redone once it gets really banged up.

Don't want the weight nor the echo some here have mentioned--or i would buy the flatlands skid--moose is to spendy for me also!!

Don't want the weight nor the echo some here have mentioned--or i would buy the flatlands skid--moose is to spendy for me also!!

I don't blame you on the weight, but I really didn't find it to be that heavy. Also haven't noticed much of an echo like some have mentioned. I suppose you could put some light padding on it to kill the echo if it really bothered you. I have no experience with the durability of the plastic plates, but I figured I'd rather tack on the weight for the added protection of metal. I wasn't happy about spending the money either, especially with performance mods looming, but I figured I needed to protect my investment. Trade-offs I suppose. However, unless you are really banging into a bunch of rocks and such, I'm sure a plastic plate would be just fine. It would just stink to go plastic, have it crack (or worse crack and damage the engine) and then pay all over again to replace it.

Maybe you already found this, but this guy has a plastic plate that has seemed to hold up real well:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/989892-2013-crf250l-aftermarket-parts-and-accessories/page-19

Edited by JohnnyUtah787

Thanks for the link i had missed that post as it was b/f i signed up--Moose lost me when it said made in France--the Cycra are made in USA--something i try to do--maybe just me??? If i can buy USA i do!! :thumbsup: :usa:
  :usa:

Thanks for the link i had missed that post as it was b/f i signed up--Moose lost me when it said made in France--the Cycra are made in USA--something i try to do--maybe just me??? If i can buy USA i do!! :thumbsup: :usa:

:usa:

Can't blame you there. Hope whatever you buy works out well for you.

I'm Ok with the holes but if you notice no oil drain hole but i can put that in easly--I'm HOPING someone here can give us some info--if not i will pull the trigger and buy a red one --I like red--figure the silver will show the cow mines i sometimes run over :thumbsup::ride:

The reason I don't like the holes is because gravel and mud can get up in there. I don't mind not having the oil dean hole. I would take it off anyway to clean the oil drips. I know, I'm a tard.

You could clean out any gravel also--Acerbis has a plastic one w/o holes for 65 bucks and 78 also tho it looks like the same one?has oil hole it looks like? on e-bay also :ride:

I can't find the acerbis one for the 250L? Can you post a link? I only see the for R and X.

try e-bay 190838015996 i'm not puter savy enough to post it sorry

try e-bay 190838015996 i'm not puter savy enough to post it sorry

high light what's in the address bar from any page > right click > copy 

post any word or sentence here on the forumm > high light said word or sentence > click the chain link icon in the tool bar > right click the empty URL box > paste 

Like this .... click me 

I think I would have gotten the cycra if it would have been available back then, now I got the AXP (the french one) and I like it quite a lot. It was a bit pricey though.

Hope I don't offend anyone, but I personally don't care too much about "Made in USA", but not because of it being USA. I simply like to buy stuff that is made in the country that I am in. I was a bit disappointed when I was in the US and wanted to bring family and friends some souvenirs but couldn't find anything suitable that was made in the US...it was all made in China :( Have to admit though that I didn't have unlimited time to look through that many stores.

Over here in Japan there is also a lot of China stuff (I guess everywhere in the world), but in the bigger department stores they usually have an assortment of made in Japan goods.

I like to support local industry and business, and I don't mind if that means to pay a tad more (if it's only a tad). That's also why I like to order stuff through my local dealer and not just pop online and get the cheapest possible deal.

That being said, sometimes if you want a specific thing, you don't have a choice. I bought some dive gear here in Japan that is made in the US, simply because the stuff I wanted just isn't made over here. I did buy it through a shop in Japan though (run by an American), and not online, and he pays tax over here, so... all is good in my own little universe :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'd be interested to hear about your experience with whichever non-metal plate if you are to get one, as it might be something for my next bike!

I ordered the Cycra in red so guess i'll be the test mule--will post how i like it and how it fits The other(acerbis) would not say it would fit the 250L and didn't mention USA built??

I have the Cycra skid plate. I like it well enough. I wish it provided more coverage to the frame at the rear of the plate as I've taken some good hits back there. Overall I am pleased with it and would buy another over an aluminum one.

Edited by WouldsAssassin

Thank you for the input --thats what i was looking for --Mine should be here b/f the end of the month--Hopefully b/f the weather turns nasty--again Thanks

If it is the same kind of plastic as AXP and Hyde, then it is as strong as the aluminium wrt to impacts, and it doesn't deform, and it doesn't reverberate. 
(y'know, like helmets are made of plastics instead of aluminium?) :) 

good point Cat--I'll give it the two pound sledge test !! :smashpc: :smashpc:

No need for bench testing. I've put a few deep gouges in mine. no clanging from rocks, echoing engine noise, deformaties from impacts, or any of the negatives of metal skidplate. Other than the rear coverage complaint, it can be a pain in the ass to get the bolts started in the front mounting bracket but how many times have I struggled with those gawdawful clamps from my metal skidplates...