Kdx 200

Kdx200

I just bought a 2000 KDX 200 off of Craigslist and it's my first 2 stroke dirtbike. I know 2 strokes blow some smoke but when I rev it it blows more smoke than I think is normal even for a 2 stroke. I've been putting in Stihl chainsaw/lawn mower 2 cycle mix at a 1:32 ratio which is 8oz per 2 gallons of gas and from what I've seen on the Internet is what you're supposed to use. And also in neutral with the clutch out idleing it makes a clicking noise. The final problem is that when it is first started it will idle all day but sometimes after riding it it needs gas to idle. I realize that it is a old dirtbike and it'll inherently have some issues but I was just curious if these are mechanical problems or not.

Ahhhh yes the KDX 200, great bike. My buddy just got rid of his and that is one indestructible trail bike with great torque. He always mixed it 40:1. I've been around quite a few of them and most trail bikes seem to smoke more than others. Try the 40:1 and don't use chainsaw oil mix. Get some Golden Spectro or other good motorcycle 2-stroke oil.

I would assume that a kick starter or lever or something is just rattling when at idle. If it works fine then probably ignore and just go over ever nut and bolt to check for tightness.

You might have to adjust A/F screw or just turn up the idle.

I've pulled up the rattling and people day it's normal for the KIPS system and that's what the guy I bought it from said. The next time I go to the motorcycle store (this weekend, the tube tore in the rear tire on this 200 and the front in my klx140) ill buy some actual motorcycle 2 cycle oil. It blows thick blue smoke when revved but this may be from the jets from what I've seen and ill check what they are tomorrow. I really do like the bike though someone put on a fmf gold power core asv un breakable break and clutch levers and more so I guess the previous owner took some care of it at least.

Yeah it's more than likely the kips rattling. On my sons 95 its loud....lol. we mix at 40:1 that seems to help with the smoking at 32:1 it smoked lots more. Might want to think about pulling cylinder in the near future and check stuff out. That you can clean 'he kips components too.

Yeah it's more than likely the kips rattling. On my sons 95 its loud....lol. we mix at 40:1 that seems to help with the smoking at 32:1 it smoked lots more. Might want to think about pulling cylinder in the near future and check stuff out. That you can clean 'he kips components too.

I've worked on carbs and changed tires but never messed with the guts of the engine. If I take off the head and see a scratched piston or something how much trouble is a top end rebuild. I know basically what to do but is there a timing chain or anything that has to be in the right setting before reassembling the engine.

Is your KDX an E series(89-94)? I'd recommend two things: check water pump impeller and complete top end tear down and inspection. Clean carb, set air screw 1.5 turns out, check your reeds, and check that all 3 KIPS valves are functioning. The e-series powervalves pinion gears are notorious for stripping. I had to replace the left side one on my 89 that i bought this spring. Work is a sinch on these bikes! Good luck

Is your KDX an E series(89-94)? I'd recommend two things: check water pump impeller and complete top end tear down and inspection. Clean carb, set air screw 1.5 turns out, check your reeds, and check that all 3 KIPS valves are functioning. The e-series powervalves pinion gears are notorious for stripping. I had to replace the left side one on my 89 that i bought this spring. Work is a sinch on these bikes! Good luck

No it's a 2000 and by taking it apart is that just taking off the cover on the left side of the engine that says KIPS.

There are no timing chains in a two-stroke. I thinks it's air cooled so a top end is easy as he!!. That is , if you can find a kit for that old of a bike.

Work on the jetting as 31:1 is recommended by the factory.

Air cooled? Lol.. As for piston/gasket availability, every company that make them, makes them for an H model KDX.

To the OP.. Yeah, dump the chainsaw oil (though it will work if there's nothing else to be had), and pick up some JASO MA rated motorcycle pre-mix oil. Mix it 40:1 and jet accordingly. Google "2 stroke jetting" and you'll find several very good tutorials on how to go about it the right way. If it's jetted anywhere near stock (48/160), it's pig rich and will smoke accordingly. Great bikes the KDXs, and yes, the noise(s) your hearing is the KIPS rattling. Very normal. ?

Air cooled? Lol.. As for piston/gasket availability, every company that make them, makes them for an H model KDX.

To the OP.. Yeah, dump the chainsaw oil (though it will work if there's nothing else to be had), and pick up some JASO MA rated motorcycle pre-mix oil. Mix it 40:1 and jet accordingly. Google "2 stroke jetting" and you'll find several very good tutorials on how to go about it the right way. If it's jetted anywhere near stock (48/160), it's pig rich and will smoke accordingly. Great bikes the KDXs, and yes, the noise(s) your hearing is the KIPS rattling. Very normal. ?

JASO MA is a wet clutch rating, has nothing at all to do with premix or 2 strokes.

Most chainsaw oils today are pretty decent, often getting and ISO-EGD or JASO-FD rating. That means it protects well, smokes very little, and builds very little exhaust carbon. Good oil for a KDX in my opinion. Maybe not for a 12, 000 rpm supermini, but plenty adequate for a 30 hp, 8500 rpm 200cc bike. Stihl and husqvarna spec pretty decent oils, they don't want customers angry their $500 14, 000 rpm chainsaw siezed up.

JASO MA is a wet clutch rating, has nothing at all to do with premix or 2 strokes.

Most chainsaw oils today are pretty decent, often getting and ISO-EGD or JASO-FD rating. That means it protects well, smokes very little, and builds very little exhaust carbon. Good oil for a KDX in my opinion. Maybe not for a 12, 000 rpm supermini, but plenty adequate for a 30 hp, 8500 rpm 200cc bike. Stihl and husqvarna spec pretty decent oils, they don't want customers angry their $500 14, 000 rpm chainsaw siezed up.

Yeah, your right on the JASO MA thing, my bad there. That's what I get for jumping from the 4 stroke to the 2 stroke forum and back, then posting stuff when I'm dead tired. Suffer from brain seizure rather than piston seizure. ?

No it's a 2000 and by taking it apart is that just taking off the cover on the left side of the engine that says KIPS.

Nah the KIPS on the H series is a whole other can of worms. Good news is tho you're probably fine because the design of the KIPS after '95 have a much lower failure rate

To inspect and clean them up you'd have to remove the cylinder head at least

Here's a good write up https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/657765-kips-top-end-info-and-how-to-kdx200/