Sign in to follow this  

looking to get into trials... but dont want a begiiner bike.

So im in th market for a trials bike but i know almost nothing about them. i currently race hare scrambles and dabble with endurocross and im no beginner on dirtbikes. im a quick learner, so i want to get a trials bike that i wont get bored on and have to upgrade in 6 months.

so what size bike should i get? what are the pros/cons of 2stroke vs. 4stroke?  im kinda leaning towards a 4 stroke. do they make injected 4stroke trials bikes?  what years did they start making any significant changes (power,weight,suspension) or have they pretty much been the same for the last 10 years???   how much am im looking at spending for a good/competitive bike?    oh, and do i have to wear the silly helmet or can i just wear my dirtbike helmet?? ;)

Thanks

• Like 1

You can wear your dirt bike helmet. We have a guy or two in our club that wear Mtn. Bike full face helmets. They vent a little better than standard dirt bike helmets like the ones by Fly Racing, Oneal, or whoever. Those ones need movement to get air flowing through them, and the open face trials helmets let you have the feeling of air moving through them, even at the slower speed of Trials. I wear my Dirt bike helmet a lot of the time when I'm practicing, if it's not too hot.... If it's warm, the Airoh helmet gets called in for work.....

On the bike..... You'll get a huge variety of opinions. I'd say go for a 2-stroke, simply because there are more of those out there, hence the chance to possibly buy a "better" bike. I've not ridden a Montesa with the 4-stroke, nor a new Beta thumper. I'm certain they're nice bikes, but not certain how often used ones come up. There's been a 2008 Sherco thumper for sale up near Olympia Washington for better than a year, and I'm thinking either the price is too high, or maybe Sherco 4-strokes aren't the best trials bikes ever, or???, Like I said, this guy has had it for sale for a long time.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/4042917055.html

Do you have any friends with trials bikes, that possibly ride events? I went to spectate at an event once, and I guy I still don't know to this day let me take off & ride one of his bikes. Point being, try to ride a few bikes before you buy; the more time on one, the better. I've raced mx & enduros, some hare scrambles since 1971 or so, and the first couple of times I rode a modern trials bike, it felt absolutely weird. Now, after a year or more on my Gas Gas, my big bike feel like a heavy pig. Anyway, by riding a few bikes, talking with the owners & such, you'll probably be able to make a much better decision than what some Newbie like me on the Interweb can tell you what to buy. However, you can defintely find out what years & models to avoid a lit of times, which is a huge help. But really, if you're looking at, say, 2008 or newer, you'll probably do just fine with a Beta, Gas Gas, or Sherco. On engine size, I dunno what to tell you. I hopped on a buddy's Beta 250 a couple of years ago. began playing on the bike, doing turns, and then wheelies in 2nd or 3rd gear, and did well. I thought "This is cake!". For whatever reason, I dropped down into first gear, and promptly did a stress test on the rear fender (looped it out)! If I were lighter, I'd go for the smaller size bikes. I'm a pig, built kinda like a refrigerator with a head sittin' on it, so I ride a 280. The 300s actually seem as easy, or maybe easier to ride. But the 250s are great as well, so my words ain't much help here.

Just buy the best deal on the best bike you can afford, I guess......

Jimmie

• Like 1

Where in California are you located? If you're in the Southern part of the state come out to Cougar Buttes in the Lucerne Valley on September 29 and attend the next SCTA trials event. You'll be able to see all the bikes, talk to both TEC-Cycle and Lewisport representatives about the scooters and probably ride a few. Our schedule can be found on our website at http://www.socaltrials.com

Edited by Orangeroost

A good dealer is also important for advice, spare parts, and accessories;  Lewisport is tops in that regard. 

http://www.lewisportusa.com/

The Montesa 4RT is very popular and even has somewhat of a cult following, possibly because it is owned by Honda and the engine is based on the Honda Unicam engines used in the CRF250s but has EFI and a Trials gearbox. 

I have a Montesa 315R, which is the 2T predecessor to the 4RT.  I have a friend with a 4RT and I prefer the 2T power delivery, although for trail riding I would choose the 4RT.

• Like 1

The bike will not be the limiting factor bucko. Trials bikes have been continually improving since they branched off from modified street bikes in the early '60s but any bike from the last ten years will humble you very quickly. The "silly" helmets are light weight because after four hours of bouncing around a regular helmet really beats up your neck muscles. The funny thing about a "competitive" bike is a good rider on an old bike will regularly kick your ass. Having said that the low end for a good used bike seems to be around $3000.

Happy hunting and welcome to the sport.

• Like 1

I would also say that 2-stroke is the way to go for a first trials bike. 

I started on a Sherco 290 with no problem (though I did have years of experience on other types of motorcycle).  The bigger engines >250cc aren't so much of a handful that you would get in trouble.  If there is too much grunt while learning there are cheap mods to reign them in a bit.

That said the 250cc bikes are very similar in power/etc. and would keep you entertained/not-bored for a lot longer than 6months.

I would say that most bikes newer than about 2004 are worth looking at and riding for a year or two before getting a 'new' (less than 3 yrs old) bike.

200cc and less .... might bore you and you will be buying a bigger bike in 6 months to a year.

as mentioned above about helmets.... a full face dirtbike helmet will be damn hot after 30 min of trials riding...  if you want full face go for a DownHill mountain bike helmet.

More important than which helmet is which boot....  you will not enjoy riding trials in MX boots.  Definitely buy TRIALS specific boots.

• Like 1

As a dirt bike rider buying a Trials bike, the advice to me was nothing more or less than a 250, so I did a search of several models and ended up buying an 04 Montesa 315R. You won't be bored and it doesn't have the explosive power of the 280s.

For Trials riding I wear an open face helmet and Gaerne balanced oiled Trials boots; water proof, comfortable, and shorter than MX boots.

Contrary to Bender-250XL's MX boot experience I've found my SIDI Crossfires with Enduro Soles as comfortable and functional as the Gaerne Balanced Oiled boots but with more foot protection and more weight. I had four pairs of boots; Tech 7,  Gaerne leather MX, Gaerne Balance Oiled, and SIDI Crossfires w/ Enduro soles.  I sold the Tech 7s and gave away the Gaerne MX boots, leaving what I feel are the best 2 boots.

The only mod I did to my 315R was replace the throttle return spring with a stiffer XR spring so the throttle would feel like my XR :thumbsup: Less Whiskey throttle adventures that way.

• Like 1

I am a new rider to Trials as well. Help? How do I find the local ride spots, and the local compations so I can go and see, ask, and in general make a nuisance of myself to get the knowledge I want before I buy? There is just not much in the N.Texas area that I can find, but that does not mean I am looking in the right places. Help?

Blip...

Edited by BlipOnTheRadar

Hey, Blip!!

The way that I personally got involved in Trials was kinda "threefold".....

1. I found out about the "underground trials movement" locally by hearing about it from friends that rode offroad events. The Hare Scrambles & Enduro guys, ya know? Most of those guys either know someone else that rides trials, or they themselves might ride an event now & then.....

2. I have a couple of friends at work who led me into the dark, secret world of Trials, after I'd beaten myself up badly riding mx & offroad stuff....

3. I found a dealer nearby where I live, and he was great about letting me know who the local club was, where/what their website was, and how to find a schedule of events.... If you can go the US Beta, Gas Gas, Ossa, and Sherco websites, you can find a list of dealers that may be in your area. From there, you can either go visit the delaer, or call him, or maybe email asking about the local trials scene.

Finally, maybe Adventure Rider.com might have some info. That website has a pretty good Trials forum, with a lot of good info there.....

Hope this might help you, or anyone else out some!

Jimiie

• Like 2

I am a new rider to Trials as well. Help? How do I find the local ride spots, and the local compations so I can go and see, ask, and in general make a nuisance of myself to get the knowledge I want before I buy? There is just not much in the N.Texas area that I can find, but that does not mean I am looking in the right places. Help? Blip...

Trials clubs for northern half of Texas I BELIEVE is NTTA.  North Texas Trials Assoc.  http://ntxtrials.com/wordpress/

I hate to "seem to lead" anyone from this forum, (m not , I read them all, you should too)  but TrialsCentral.com is "international" trials website per se...  Advrider.com has a trials section, with many of us posting from "plains states" aka like NM, TX, OK, KS, et all...  But many states obviously, as well.  post a thread up there at ADV maybe, some guys that have accounts don't seem to check in as often as I do, but they are there.  I know there are at least 3 NTTA guys that have posted in the past year.   NTTA uses facebook too I believe, most riders I think, are around Dallas area, or so.  Some from up north?  CRTC had NTTA's event being held in May I believe it was, at RED RIVER Motorcycle off-road park, not personally sure where else they ride.  There is a nice guy from SW Oklahoma (motobene) that might know some more, than I can think of.

Commitment to trials isn't for the cheap, necessarily that is, and probably more so in Texas?  I mean you are going to probably have to travel to events, there are 3 clubs in Texas as far as I can follow?  NTTA website probably good start for that info.  I drive 140 or so miles, from where I live, just to club event in Wichita KS, fyi.  I have friends in Hays Kansas that travel to just south of Omaha each month...  However My brother pays more to ride yearly at a "race track"  within 15 miles his house in Colorado...  

Regional (CRTC) sees some drive farther to have a good time.  I know we've driven um, 400 miles to NTTA, then just shy of that to ride Tishomingo's round, then up to Nebraska 280 miles, then 300+ to North West Missouri, then 210 to KS's Peru Event...  then this very weekend I head to Disney Oklahoma for last 2 rounds, for this year.  a buddy from Austin Texas has been to all of the events (except Nebraska), so figure how far he's driven...  

One more edit, found in NTTA's site might help ya...

http://ntxtrials.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/12_summer_ntta_newsletter.pdf  show a schedule of some events across texas, and surrounding states.

Edited by sting32

Last year i rode the dragon twice, north west AR near Jasper once and the three sisters twice in SA twice. No stranger to miles, on the bike or trailering it.

Thanks for the info, I will start to check some of it out.

Leading is something we all do from time to time, it is knowing when to pass the torch that is the problem.

Blip...

Ok, NTTA is not being updated regularly. Last post I can fine is almost two months ago.

Other than that, there is a pile of information out there in the other links you provided, and I am still chasing those. To any who follow to this point, look back a couple of posts and follow the man's ideas. I like this kind of thing, information! I like learning! Who is going where so I might show up at an event and bother a few people and learn a bit more about the bikes?

Blip...

• Like 1

Ok, NTTA is not being updated regularly. Last post I can fine is almost two months ago.

Other than that, there is a pile of information out there in the other links you provided, and I am still chasing those. To any who follow to this point, look back a couple of posts and follow the man's ideas. I like this kind of thing, information! I like learning! Who is going where so I might show up at an event and bother a few people and learn a bit more about the bikes?

Blip...

We're all going to Diseny (Grand lake of the Cherokees) in Oklahoma  it is East of tulsa a bit.  Come on up if you have the gas, look for me on facebook, and in the Hogan's offroad campsite.  PM me Ill get you my email maybe I can hook you up with the 5 guys I know from NTTA club.  Yeah about TRIALS CLUB SITES, everything in TRIALS is done pretty much vulunteer-ism, there is no "promoter" who hopes to recoup his expense of hosting these clubs, events, or websites.  we volunteer to join and pay club dues, and actively recruit.  I passively recruit via these forums, all I can try to do is get you information that I might have, or point you to the right direction (I hope).  Dont get discouraged, you will meet all types of nice people in trials, most people will also admit we're all different, lol,  and help guys out, not because we're some weird cult, but really becuase we have such good times, in this less known or "underground" sport, than most other more mainstream sports do, I have been involved with a few...  

take care and dont be afraid to ask we'll all chime in with help.

• Like 2

Thank you for the invite! Disney is a bit of a drive for me to do in a day, unfortunatly it is like 5.5 hours one way and that makes for a REAL long day. Please do keep us informed as to the events hapening. Not you if you gents get into Texas at all, but Red River area would be a good place if i could heaar of anything going on there please? I will be sure to hit that one...

Blip...

Aparently there is going to be a few guys from my neck of the woods going out to Bridgeport this saturday, Twister, it is a chance for you, although not all that local...

Blip...

wow bridgeport about a 6hour drive for me,I went up to disney but coun`t stay long and didn`t really get to talk to anyone...

dammit twiste,r wished you had said more or texted out an email, I ride afternoon class and we left befre 4pm, sunday but was free in morning and at the camper a lot of the time hanging out.

yea its only a short drive for me I was there sat morning,it was cold,I sprained my ankle a little on a rock,did I mention I was cold...