Sign in to follow this  

Talk me into a 300

I have been thinking about a 300 xc-w for desert and single track riding. I currently ride a 08 450 xc-f and like it but I'm wanting a change. I was looking at a 500 xcw but I have a hard time swallowing the price.

Hmmmm....light weight, easy to ride, cheap to maintain, lug like no other, scream if you wanna, good resale....

• Like 2

Hmmmm....light weight, easy to ride, cheap to maintain, lug like no other, scream if you wanna, good resale....

X2

All it took was for me to get on one.

But if you are wanting to do high speed desert racing I would not get a 300, the 450 or 500 would be a better option.

What supr sloguy said. I went to a demo day, did not ride the 300 but after the 250 I was sold on the 300. As soon I can sell my hypermotard its a done deal. The CRF is beating the crap out of me on the trails. The only decision to make is the xc xc-w. leaning towards the xc.......

• Do a search on here and KTM talk and you will find that 95% of us love them in every kind of terrain and situations. I am on my 4th one on a row ( 250's before that too).

Joe

Depends on how OP rides and what OP wants in difference of the 450, KAH68 got the best parts of it.  I've just test rode a 2003 300 xc-w in Labor day weekend and really loved it (I ride mostly single track). 

Edited by flywheels

For you guys that have had both 250's and 300's, I know they are the same chassis but is it true that they feel very different? I love my 300 but want a lighter feeling bike without giving up too much bottom.

Ive owned an exc 250 and have a 300 xcw now. I love the 300 it will lug much better than the 250. The aggressive nature of the 300 can be more tiresome on long rides although it can be mellowed via pv spring. But I like the red (aggressive) pv spring myself but when you tickle the clutch and whack the throttle out of every corner ( which is very addictive :) ) it will wear you out quicker.

Let me share my personal observations.  I used to desert race, open expert class, always on CR500s.  I now have a 300XCW and it is not for sale for any amount of money.  After tuning it to my liking, it is up to any task including fast desert stuff.  The motor was a tad weak for desert, but not now. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1047040-fire-breathing-ktm-300/#entry11056556  This thing has crazy torque, it feels like a strong 450 only a lot lighter.  The fun level of off-roading has hit a new high with this machine.

Let me share my personal observations.  I used to desert race, open expert class, always on CR500s.  I now have a 300XCW and it is not for sale for any amount of money.  After tuning it to my liking, it is up to any task including fast desert stuff.  The motor was a tad weak for desert, but not now. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1047040-fire-breathing-ktm-300/#entry11056556  This thing has crazy torque, it feels like a strong 450 only a lot lighter.  The fun level of off-roading has hit a new high with this machine.

Same here, used to run CR 500 in District 37 desert racing in SoCal, now I run the 300 for enduro in Texas.  It's a great bike.  Since I made some adjustments and mods, I would argue that the top end will hang with a CR 500.. only lacking maybe on steep high speed silty valley climbs in 6th gear.  There's no comparison which bike is better for desert racing.

Same here, used to run CR 500 in District 37 desert racing in SoCal, now I run the 300 for enduro in Texas.  It's a great bike.  Since I made some adjustments and mods, I would argue that the top end will hang with a CR 500.. only lacking maybe on steep high speed silty valley climbs in 6th gear.  There's no comparison which bike is better for desert racing.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what mods are we talkin? I just don't see how a 300 can out run a 450 in high speed dez.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what mods are we talkin? I just don't see how a 300 can out run a 450 in high speed dez.

If it just bike against bike it can't. The 450 has more top speed and power. But it's all rider ability in the end.

FMF Fatty pipe and Powercore II silencer, slightly thicker base gasket, red PV spring. The 300 is so smooth that it's deceiving how much power it produces.

Truthfully it can't be made as powerful as a 450 or 500 can be made, but it's a phenomenal bike.

Went to Little Sahara yesterday, rode in the dunes, rode endless, massive whoops. went into the mountains.  The 300XCW is truly the do-it-all bike.  There was a 450 in our group, and he did fine in the dunes too (I rode it some) but the 300 was so much easier to ride, certainly less fatiguing, especially when it came to the tighter trails through the mountains.  After riding and racing CR500s for 17 years, I can honestly say I have found a superior machine.

the KTM 300 is a great do it all bike! I think a KTM 500 would be an awesome desert / wide open bike as well. More expensive engine rebuilds and maintenance over the long run.

I like the simple, cheap, easy to fix 2stroke reliability. Not quite as fast in the wide open as a hopped up 450/500 but still rips!!

Yeah I've heard the hype of 300, especially in the north west, but u never really hear people riding them in the desert like so cal, wich is where I'm from and grew up. Most of my buds down there ride 450's or 250f's.

Okay. Buy one. They're great. I have a 250 EXC and love it. The 300 is even better. Keep your 450 for awhile and maybe you will enjoy riding them both in different places. That's how it is for me.